It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Hurricane Katrina - 7 Dead As Florida Braces For Return.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Hurricane Katrina has left seven people dead after devasting Miami, leaving over a million people without power. The hurricane has now gathered strength in the Gulf Of Mexico with winds over 160 kilometres per hour with winds expected to intensify as it returns towards the coast. It is expected to hit land anywhere between Northwest Florida and Louisiana, following a smiliar path to Hurricane Dennis.

www.news.com.au
One man was found dead aboard his boat, apparently after trying to ride out the storm at sea, divers retrieved a body from a capsized houseboat and another man's body was found floating in floodwaters.

Three people were killed by falling trees and an elderly man died when he lost control of his vehicle and crashed into a tree.

Coast Guard crews rescued a couple and their three children whose pleasure craft was reported missing at sea during the storm.

Thousands of utility company crews were at work as soon as the worst of the storm was over, but authorities said it would take several days to restore power to all of the 1.4 million people whose electricity was knocked out by the storm.

Most hurricane fatalities typically occur after the storm has passed, often as a result of floods or downed power lines.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

When Katrina first hit land it was classed as a category 1 hurricane but was upgraded to a category 2 when it swung back out to the warm Gulf waters. The hurricane has already caused upsets in the golbal oil market with concerns over the U.S's oil rig platforms out in the Gulf.

The MTV awards are to be held in Florida on Monday and organizers have said they will go ahead with the ceremony although many pre show parties were cancelled due to the hurricane.

Related News Links:
today. reuters.co.uk
www.japantoday.com
www.guardian.co.uk
news.xinhuanet.com

[edit on 29-8-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Luckily my family are well, although they were affected by the storm. My parents live close to the Miami area, but even my uncles which live around 50 miles away were affected. They all lost power and their phones went dead.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 12:30 AM
link   
those poor people, god rest their souls.

great, and i live in new orleans...i hope noone else get hurt...

join