It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Officials Defer Ruling On Over The Counter Morning After Pill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 09:17 PM
link   
A request by Barr Pharmaceuticals to sell their product "plan B" over the counter to women aged 17 years and over in the US has been deferred by officials, sparking claims the delay is caused by politics rather than science. The question of how to enforce the age limit is the an unresolved problem with the issue and Food and Drug Administration Commissioner Lester Crawford has stated that the FDA cannot have an inspector in every pharmacy. The delay has been met with praise in some areas including the Concerned Women for America group.

Yahoo News
Plan B pills contain higher doses of progestin, one of the hormones used in birth-control pills. Women are supposed to take two tablets 12 hours apart.

Reproductive rights groups and other supporters say easier access would help women get the pills in time following a rape or broken condom, leading to fewer abortions. Conservative opponents charge that wide availability would lead to more promiscuity and sexually transmitted diseases.

"It's jaw-dropping the extent to which the (FDA) keeps moving the goal post" for over-the-counter sales, said Kirsten Moore, president of the Reproductive Health Technologies Project.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think this is just an excuse. The country has done well over the years to stop alcohol being sold to minors so I do not see a huge issue here. I do believe that it is in fact politics holding it up although I do not believe that this medication should be used, as it often is as a form of birth control. I also believe that with the ease of over the counter medication availability that more and more girls will in fact not worry about using contraceptives with this option available to them.

I do however believe that it is a matter of choice for the individuals involved in a potential pregnancy.

An excuse for the delay has also been that pedophiles could buy the medication for their victims. To use this as an excuse is pathetic. Yes it indeed may possibly on the rarest occasion happen but this should not be used as a platform for denying the people access to this medication.

[edit on 26-8-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 09:57 PM
link   
There has been a lot in the news that I've heard lately where pharmacists were refusing to sell contraceptives, and the "morning after" pill, because it goes against their religious beliefs, and in fact they were trying to pass a law protecting the pharmacists that preach to people and refuse to fill perscriptions. I think that if a pharmacist can't fill a prescription for any reason other than the drug being out of stock, they should find another job. At the least they should say that they can't fill it do to religious beliefs, and let someone else there that CAN, fill it. They have no right to preach to me about what medicine I take, or why I take it. There are other reasons that just to keep from getting pregnant that I've heard women taking birth control pills, and it's not right for anyone to try to preach to someone about WHY they are taking any medication. ESPECIALLY if it's prescribed by a doctor.

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Although alcohol is controlled to a decent extent, I just listened to a conversation at school and I learned about two kids who reguarly do alcohol and at least one by name who does pot.

If teenage girls want these things, they'll get the pills without much problem. It's not exactly hard for teens to get this stuff. In fact even though I'd never do drugs, I know exactly who to go to if I ever needed them. Which is odd considering I'm usually out of the loop. But that just goes to show that these sorts of pills, if outlawed will probably become the new teenage girl's marijuna.

A study I saw says that 20% of all American girls have had sex before their fifteenth birthday (I'm suprised too), and the figure for boys is 30%. So figure that means some girls have had at least two sex partners (I don't think there's that many gays to throw the figures much). And thats all before the fifteenth birthday.

So I figure these sorts of pills are about to get pretty popular.

[edit on 8/26/2005 by cyberdude78]

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 06:11 AM
link   
I dont see anything wrong with such things. Most people are just gonna have sex anyway.

thanks,

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Murder by pill.....how is that different than murder by knife, or gun or baseball bat?

"People are just gonna murder each other, just like having sex" Isn't it the same "illogic".

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 06:40 AM
link   
so 'murder' is getting rid of a few cells now?? i can understand why people would get upset over abortions and foetus's etc but the morning after pill isnt killing anything that is a person, a cockroach is more alive than a zygote.

Next people will be putting mothers on trial for miscarriages

thanks,

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 06:42 AM
link   
How is the 'morning after pill' different from a condom, a sponge, an IUD, etc? They all stop the sperm from fertilizing the egg. If live begins at conception, then
no life is 'murdered', since conception never happens.

Or are the people who are against the 'morning after pill' against all forms of birth control?

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Romeo and Juliet were 13 years old.

Catharine of Aragon married Henry VII's older brother Arthur when she was 15. After Arthur died, Henry VII married her when he was 17.

Carrie Butler, the African-American housekeeper at the Thurmond family estate, was 16 when she had an affair with her boss's son, Strom.

Mary was about 13 or 14 when her virgin birth occured.

The point is, teenagers have sex. They will always have sex. It is unrealistic to believe that there is a way to change behavior that has been occurring since the dawn of man. I think it is safe to say that mating is biologically programmed

Not all teens give in to hormones and many that do use contraception or are just lucky. But for those that aren't, Plan B makes a lot more sense than an abortion. I don't understand the logic behind the religious zealots that are blocking approval. These kids are going to have sex anyway--would they rather they have abortions? Or do they expect that they are going to be able to convince them to stop having sex? I think that we now know that over 90% of the time "true love" doesn't even wait for senior prom, much less marriage.

I think that many of these people forget that it's not like taking Plan B is a picnic--the vomiting, bleeding and cramps that accompany taking emergency contraception aren't exactly preferable to using a condom. I doubt that most people want to repeat that experience often.

And for those of us who aren't in our teens, there is no reason why this shouldn't be available immediately OTC for those above the age of 18.

new topics

top topics

join