It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hoax: Mars As Big As Moon This Week

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Romours circulating the Internet at the moment reporting that "Mars Will be As Big As The Moon This Week Aug 27" and 'Mars Will Come Closer To Earth Than In Recorded History" are a hoax although Mar is indeed travelling closer to the earth by 40 kilometres in less than 10 to 20 seconds. Experts have no quarrel on the claim that the planet will be more spectacular than usual this month although they say the email is a hoax. They say Mars will indeed be brighter until October when it will no longer be in opposition to the Earth. This event happens every time Mars, The Earth and The Sun line up, which occurs every two to three years.

www.abc.net.au
The closest Mars has come to Earth in recorded history was on 27 August two years ago, in 2003, when it came within 57 million kilometres of Earth.

Even during the 2003 approach Mars looked like a pinprick of orange-red light in the sky to the unaided eye.

But, says Reneke, we shouldn't be disappointed that the email about Mars is not real.

"If Mars did come close enough to rival the Moon, its gravity would alter Earth's orbit and raise terrible tides," he says.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

These emails have snowballed over the last few weeks with many people reporting multiple copies of the email sent to their inbox. It has given an edge of fear to some who believe it could herald destruction. Hopefully the message will also now be passed that the emails are a hoax, although it would be a great time to view the red planet with a pair of binoculars or a telescope.

[edit on 26-8-2005 by Mayet]

[edit on 10-9-2005 by DJDOHBOY]

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Wow. This is crazy... This could have an astrological significance, mark a global shift in consciousness. I predict we will have more visitors to our planet during this time. Awesome. I can't wait.

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 03:03 AM
link   
I live on an island called Diego Garcia, in the Indian Ocean. I work at a GEODSS (Ground Based-Electro-Optical Deep Space Surveillance) site. I was in the store today, picking up groceries after work, and a Filipino worker I know came up to me and asked, "Is it true about Mars?" I guess since I work at tracking satellites, he thought I would have some info. To tell you the truth, the first I heard of this was by this thread! So I was able to set him straight, thanks to ATSNN!

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   
woops. I didn't notice it was a hoax.... ha ha

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 03:11 PM
link   
When I first read about this, several weeks ago.....I thought it was an unbelievable claim, but I did some searching.

I found one site that stated the "magnitude" of Mars would be close to that of the Moon.( Sorry, no link....I never thought it would become so widespread.)

In this instance, magnitude obviously refered to the brightness of Mars, not the size......apparently it was misunderstood some how, and taken to mean Mars would be as large, not simply as bright.....as it was repeated many times, the " hoax" grew. ( Have you ever played telephone or gossip? LOL)

top topics

join