It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life-Lengthening Hormone (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Researchers found a naturally occuring hormone that can be found in humans that is considered an Age Suppresor. When tests were done and increase in lifespan was recorded 20%-30% longer. This discovery also was linked to the finding that the Kloth gene is resposible for controling aging.

www.washingtonpost.com
Scientists have identified a hormone that significantly extends the life span of mice, a discovery that could mark a crucial step toward developing drugs that boost longevity in people.

The hormone is the first substance identified that is produced naturally in mammals, including humans, and can extend life span -- a long-sought goal in the intense effort to help people live longer.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think this is pretty cool, now we won't need people to go and be frozen and since the article says thats its just something naturally occuring in our body it can't be that bad to tweak. I just hope that they test out all the bugs before trying to tweak a humans life.

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I see one major problem with trying to extend people's lives any longer than they are now. We'll put it this way - you think overpopulation of this planet is bad now? Wait until the average lifespan is 100 years.... or 120 years... Lifespans like that mean that it's possible that 6 generations of a family could all be alive at the same time (assuming each generation had children at age 20).

In addition to the obvious overpopulation problems, longer lifespans could give way to more rampant disease (more people, means more bodies to spread through, means larger number of diseased people - with more potential for the disease to mutate). I say we solve the human genome and irradicate disease before thinking about making lifespans longer. We might also want to look into colonizing other worlds before making lifespans longer as well - we need somewhere to house all these extra people.

This may sound a little harsh, but if we're to solve some of the problems plaguing the world, we don't need longer lifespans and more people. We need shorter lifespans and less people. Less people means less demand on resources. Less demand on resources means consumer prices come down as well as allowing mother nature to replenish herself a bit before we go for the next patch of resources.

While I'm sure each of us, individually, would love to live a longer life, we need to keep the big picture in mind, and realize that it's simply not practical for survival.

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 05:08 PM
link   

I see one major problem with trying to extend people's lives any longer than they are now. We'll put it this way - you think overpopulation of this planet is bad now? Wait until the average lifespan is 100 years.... or 120 years... Lifespans like that mean that it's possible that 6 generations of a family could all be alive at the same time (assuming each generation had children at age 20).

We have an entire galaxy to spread out in.
Maybe you want to die but I don't. If you would do a little research you would realize that birthrates are falling rapidly in the 1st world. In North America our populations wouldn't be sustainable if it weren't for immigration and our 80 year life expectancy. In 50 years when 70% + of the worlds population lives in Urban area's we are gonna have some problems, not with overcrowding(that will be a minor issue) but with a lack of births.

Poverty, disease, famine and poor living conditions in general leads to overpopulation, not Technology or Urbanization. The Statistics just do not support your hypothesis. We have allot of room even on earth to spread out. Lots of dead area's we could bring back to life in the Ocean, also for those Vampires Subterranian cities are quickly becoming a possibility. Like it or not Humanity is becoming more and more technological in every aspect of our lives. Sounds scary but isn't change always disconcerting?

new topics

join