It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

problems with things being created

page: 1

join
share:
BZ

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 11:50 AM
link   
after reading all about creationism and evolution.

i am very much on the evolution side of things.

thing is if i believe this it proves(in my mind) that there isnt a god so i shouldnt go to church or celebrate easter or crimbo.
where am i to be buried? if i dont believe in god why should i be buried or cremated in a place of god.

about marriage,how do you get married without being in the eyes of god.

i dont want to be part of any religion and christianity seems to rule the UK and other countries in holidays and rituals and celebrations.

people talk about government supressing people,but this seems to be (in my mind) more supressive .

move to a relevant board mods if this aint the place.

when i go out for a meal tonight and the christian members of the groom to be's family say grace for the food.

who put it on the plate. god or evolution??

[edit on 26-8-2005 by BZ]

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 02:03 PM
link   

thing is if i believe this it proves(in my mind) that there isnt a god

What gives you that idea??? There is nothing in evolution that rejects the idea that there is a god.

who put it on the plate. god or evolution??

Are these your actual feelings or are you merely trying to lampoon what you think is an 'evolutionists' position? Becuase I've never heard of anyone accepting evolution and then doing all this.

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Hope this might solve some of your problems.

Quote......."Few people realize that the origins of a form of Christmas was pagan & celebrated in Europe long before anyone there had heard of Jesus Christ."

So even if you don't want to follow Christianity you can still celebrate "Christmas" safe in the knowledge that 1000's of early Englishman (or Britons/Celts to be more precise) celebrated that time of year long before Jesus

Quote......."Modern-day Easter is derived from two ancient traditions: one Judeo-Christian and the other Pagan. Both Christians and Pagans have celebrated death and resurrection themes following the Spring Equinox for millennia. Most religious historians believe that many elements of the Christian observance of Easter were derived from earlier Pagan celebrations."

If you look into most Christian celebrations they are almost all directly related to much earlier pagan celebrations. Reason????

It's quite simple the early Christians who put the New Testament together were catering for a mainly pagan audience and by keeping with pagan traditions Christianity had a better chance of spreading. The Jesus story was edited and expanded for this very reason.

As for the meal, I can’t see there being an issue with that situation.

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Uh, "fake it?"

Seriously, though, since we're talking a little bit about atheists here (I don't think you're talking about "evolutionists,") I think most atheists have no problem whatsoever being buried in a classy religious setting, or participating in a harmless "Thanksgiving Grace" prayer or getting married in a church with a flashy ceremony. Religious or not, the act of getting maried is a human ritual.

My point is that I think most atheists are not really "evangelistic" per se, and aren't actively anti-theist, they are mostly just passive "not theists." Of course, there are also active, aggressive atheists. Atheists are largely divided into two categories, "weak" and "strong." "Weak atheists" passively "don't believe" in a God, while "strong atheists" aggressively "disbelieve" in a God. I think most "weak atheists" are easy going and aren't out to disturb the order of things.

That's just my impression of the atheists that I've known.

Zip

[edit on 8/26/2005 by Zipdot]

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 11:26 PM
link   
i was raised catholic and went to catholic school for 12 years and was suppressed, oppressed and repressed by all that sick twisted stuff. it has taken me years to deprogram my mind from all those ludicrous and insane teachings and rules. The biggest effect still felt is all the guilt. I can't live a truly free and natural life without being GUILTY about some
thing! And i'm not talking about killing or anything like that.

So, the first thing in finding true freedom of both mind and body is to throw all traditions and beliefs out the window.

Think for yourself. Be rational. Life is natural. You are natural. And try to keep things in perspective.

I was like you.

Think about this - we're nothing more than free roaming organisms. Like birds, ants, etc. we are just highly evolved and have these brains capable of conceiving all sorts of ideas and thoughts. We have enslaved ourselves and each other will all these traditions, rules, ethics, etc.

Now, you talk about marriage and it's a great thought to entertain. But, what is marriage? Who's to say we are supposed to be monogamous creatures? Why do you think there is so much divorce? Marriage is just a way for people nowadays to get a tax break. Marriage to catholics is this psychotic notion where it's a sacred union between 2 people. That's complete egotistical stuff

Marriage goes against human nature. It's slavery, a form of repression.
No matter what culture you talk about, marriage simply tries to control people and make them "love" only each other. Why? Why would you want to repress yourself like that? Because some people say it's the right thing to do? Who is anyone on this planet to say anything?

Now, this evolution business - it's reality. Think about it - the people that wrote the bible , and one of the reasons why we're messed up as a race, were self-centered individuals trying to make us smart monkeys out to be some special organisms. We're just monkeys that can think, aside from that, we're like any other organism. But oh no, we gotta have a god, and that god has to tell us what to do if we want to live with him in all of eternity and blah blah blah.

The only way to attain true freedom in this life and to stop torturing yourself with all these questions is to do what you want and don't pay attention to traditions and rules.

Respect no authority.

mod edit, profanity

[edit on 11-9-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

[edit on 12-9-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

top topics

join