It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

homeopathy a dud ?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Currently trying to locate documented instances of actual cures (particularly relating to cancer) due to homeopathy, as well as deaths from homeopathic treatment. There's no doubt that in some cases it can be very effective in treating conditions associated with cancer, but I'm yet to see any reliable evidence that it can cure.

As someone who has also worked within the pharmaceutical industry (for far too long - I'm so jaded sometimes), I'm also aware of the physiological results of ingesting certain substances; to that end, I'm still trying to locate information on the cure rates, and the death rates, associated with homeopathic treatments.

Once again, the jury does appear to be "still out" - many homeopathic practitioners are indeed nothing more than frauds, but as my own doctor in England was one too, I have to consider that there's some therapeutic value.

Mind you, it does appear (at this point, anyway), that such value is due to placebo. And that's not really a bad thing, all things considered.

There have been some clinical trials relating to homeopathy treatments, and though the results still don't indicate a definite answer one way or the other there does appear to be some results suggesting a positive therapeutic value, though this site suggests little-to-no value at all.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nikita
I have had a little experience with homeopathy and can't claim grata results.
But, it's been around a long time and seems much safer than newly released mainstream drugs.

And, if it only works as a placebo, so what? I don't mind tricking myself into a cure

And, as a final thought, how can we really trust the mainstream medical community to give us a fair shake with homeopathics. It is in their best interests to see homepathy look bad.

I agree completely, I have been a studying herbalist most of my life, I refer to studying because I don't think I will ever be able to learn all there is to know.
I use herbs nearly exclusively and find that they work wonderfully for everything, a bad headache to IBS. I distrust the pharmacuetical companies greatly, thier main interest is the money, look at the way they fight allowing generic versions of drugs to be released, so most of what comes out from then I take with a shaker of salt.

[edit on 22-9-2005 by llunasea]

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Yet, we still have most developed nations actually running clinical trials - yes, even the US.

As I've said (once or twice), Europe regularly uses herbal medicine as part of a complete healthcare package.

And let's not confuse traditional herbal medicine with homeopathy; the two are quite different in terms of both indication and efficacy.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Here are some truths about homeopathy.
James Randi explains

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by castlesonair
Homoepathy does work - whether it works through the process of a placebo effect we will never know. It will always be there. Herbalism works but then that is far more easier to prove that it works. Sad to see it go if it does as Yahoo News reckons it is on the way out but I don't think so. The Australian government and the EEC have tried to outlaw various different viatmins and minerals to baulk up their corporate drug states of chemicals. Shame as alternative therapies can have more ofa faith thing as alot of conventional medicines have hideous side effects.

Homeopathy cures where Conventional Allopathic Medicine (CAM) fails

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tinkleflower
Currently trying to locate documented instances of actual cures (particularly relating to cancer) due to homeopathy, as well as deaths from homeopathic treatment. There's no doubt that in some cases it can be very effective in treating conditions associated with cancer, but I'm yet to see any reliable evidence that it can cure.

As someone who has also worked within the pharmaceutical industry (for far too long - I'm so jaded sometimes), I'm also aware of the physiological results of ingesting certain substances; to that end, I'm still trying to locate information on the cure rates, and the death rates, associated with homeopathic treatments.

Once again, the jury does appear to be "still out" - many homeopathic practitioners are indeed nothing more than frauds, but as my own doctor in England was one too, I have to consider that there's some therapeutic value.

Mind you, it does appear (at this point, anyway), that such value is due to placebo. And that's not really a bad thing, all things considered.

There have been some clinical trials relating to homeopathy treatments, and though the results still don't indicate a definite answer one way or the other there does appear to be some results suggesting a positive therapeutic value, though this site suggests little-to-no value at all.

www.geocities.com...
homoeopathyclinic.com...
sharma.newtheory.org...
www.cure.20m.com...
www.physorg.com...
www.hpathy.com...
www.homeopathy-soh.org...
www.lyghtforce.com...
news.bbc.co.uk...
www.rustumroy.com...
www.positivehealth.com...
www.psicounsel.com...

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   
If anyone is interested (and can point me to a filehost that allows files of 800Mb plus) I will upload a documentary I have from the BBC.
It pretty much debunks the whole concept of homeopathy and water memory.

Note to all users of homeopathic meds:

DO NOT WATCH the documentary, or read this thread.
Your medication depends on you not knowing all there is to know.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by llunasea

Originally posted by Nikita
I have had a little experience with homeopathy and can't claim grata results.
But, it's been around a long time and seems much safer than newly released mainstream drugs.

And, if it only works as a placebo, so what? I don't mind tricking myself into a cure

And, as a final thought, how can we really trust the mainstream medical community to give us a fair shake with homeopathics. It is in their best interests to see homepathy look bad.

I agree completely, I have been a studying herbalist most of my life, I refer to studying because I don't think I will ever be able to learn all there is to know.
I use herbs nearly exclusively and find that they work wonderfully for everything, a bad headache to IBS. I distrust the pharmacuetical companies greatly, thier main interest is the money, look at the way they fight allowing generic versions of drugs to be released, so most of what comes out from then I take with a shaker of salt.

[edit on 22-9-2005 by llunasea]

What the drug companies really want: A pharmaceutical vending machine!
Insert your life savings (or a credit card with a huge credit limit), press the button for your "disease" or condition, and it dispenses drugs. Through this vending machine concept, drug companies could actually bypass both doctors and pharmacists, distributing pharmaceuticals directly to patients who have been motivated to purchase them by watching highly deceptive drug advertisements.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
The finest of Drs. The creme da la creme. Are DO's. They are wide searchers and not narrow minded.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr. Nancy Malik

Not the pharmacists - i will loose my job!!!!
Seriously though, homeopathic companies act differently? It is the same principle - even though homeopathic approach demands special treatment per each patient i see dozens of mass produced products that contain only solvents/bulk powders and cost fortune. At least pharma companies add measurable amount of poison that does something,not placebo.
I do not understand homeopathic approach, and i am yet to see it achieve results in something that will not go away by itself eventually. Any homeopathic medicine that treats cancer? Or even bacterial infection?
Edit - missed a word.

[edit on 12-7-2008 by ZeroKnowledge]

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
The entire concept of water memory is utterly ridiculous and has been scientifically proven to be false. (ask for sources if you see fit)

If you MUST seek an alternative to allopathy (maybe because like me you would prefer not to fund the pharmaceutical industry which is responsible for the war on drugs, and possibly even for the introduction of diseases such as AIDS) then please take the time to educate yourselves in the fields of HERBALISM (basically homeopathy without the resuction and dilutions) or AYURVEDISM (a quick google will quench your thirst).

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

For what it's worth (and I am going to keep this simple to the extreme): homeopathy WORKS.
You don't have to believe in it for it to work.
Even disbelieving it won't prevent it from working.

Naturally, as with any other treatment, the remedy has to be well chosen.
And because homeopathy is tremendously complex and requires extraordinary diagnostic talent (a rare commodity in any health-care discipline), a really good homeopath may be difficult to find.
But then, the same goes for ordinary physicians...
(Only, they are infinitely less personally accountable for all the deaths they cause.)

How do I know all this?
From years-worth of personal experience.

[edit on 12-7-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   
It works for me and my family...

Even if it was the placebo effect... people say that like its a bad thing.

Most conventional medicines are not even as effective as the placebo effect.

The Placebo effect is a wondrous aspect of human existence.

All the effects with none of the side effects...

As it is today.. 250k people a year are killed by doctors goofing up with their medicines and so forth.

Modern Conventional medicine is a racket... and the pinnacle of quackery.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join