It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Wonderful time to be a soldier', A soldiers tale on the War on Terror

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Think moral is down? You think recruitment down to a trickle? Think soldiers are dying to get done with their tours so they can go home? Well, if you think that way you would be mostly wrong, actually, you would be very wrong.

Recruitment is down as a percentage, but it hardly matters. Why? The people who are not lining up at the recruiting stations today are not the ones who ever wanted to fight for their country in the first place. They were there for the benefits. Don’t get me wrong, they were a valuable asset to the country, and certainly brave enough to sign up for something that COULD have led to combat. But let’s face it, they didn’t want to fight and those are the people the recruitment centers are not seeing now. And that’s just fine.

As a result, the people who are choosing to enlist are gung-ho patriots who want nothing more to fight for their country. The guys (and gals) signing up today, with immanent war in front of them, are of the highest caliber. The riff raff are simply not applying. This is a GOOD thing. “Short thinkers” as I call them, just look at the stats and say things like “recruitments down, our young don’t want war” and such. But these people hardly look deeper than the surface.

Another topic most of the naysayer’s avoid is re-enlistment. You want to know a surprising FACT? Some branches of the US armed services are reporting re-enlistment rates 130% HIGHER than expected.

What does this tell us? Moral is fantastic and the true patriots of the USA have no issue fighting for their nation.

Below is a story from a real live soldier about moral and the overall situation of our troops fighting the war on terror. Read it, as it comes from the horse’s mouth…

By Joe Roche

” I'm very proud to be a soldier of the U.S. Army because of the war on terror and our missions in Iraq and Afghanistan. I'm not alone either. I'm surrounded by soldiers who are re-enlisting and volunteering to go to units that are deploying. In fact, despite all the negative news and protests, I see everyday that our military is actually doing very well.
This is quite obvious, except for the fact that most of the media seems asphyxiated with defeatism. The message from most journalists would lead you to believe that we soldiers are getting out, that no one is joining anew and that we want to stop fighting. This simply isn't true…”

Please read the whole story.

Joe goes on to mention that the casualty rate of active troops in this war is less than peace time numbers (like I reported here months ago).

Bottom line message here? The war on terror IS being won by excellent troops with a very high moral with skill and determination. The media doesn’t like to report this kind of news because it doesn’t sell ads and papers. Why? To many people out there only want to hear about the Doom & Gloom.

If you are one of those people who want to read about the good stuff (or at least the true stuff), I have provided some sources for you:

michaelyon.blogspot.com...
www.usatoday.com...
www.usefulwork.com...
chrenkoff.blogspot.com...
www.strykernews.com...
www.deucefourrecon.com...

[edit on 26-8-2005 by skippytjc]

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Some branches of the US armed services are reporting re-enlistment rates 130% HIGHER than expected.

What are you talking about skippster?

Army poised to miss 2005 recruiting goal

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Army, hard pressed to attract new soldiers amid the Iraq war, exceeded its July recruiting goal but seems doomed to miss its target for the year, while the Army Reserve and National Guard fell short of their goals again.

The Army, aiming to get 80,000 recruits this year, stood 11 percent behind its year-to-date goal at the end of July, with just two months left to overcome a shortfall of more than 7,000. It has not missed an annual recruiting goal since 1999.

The Reserve missed its July recruiting target by 18 percent, getting 2,131 recruits with a goal of 2,585, and stood 20 percent behind its year-to-date target. It had a shortfall of about 4,700 recruits toward its 2005 goal of 28,485.

The Army National Guard has missed every monthly goal in fiscal 2005 after falling short in 2004 and 2003, the Pentagon said. It missed its July goal by 20 percent -- getting 4,712 recruits with a quota of 2,585 -- and was 23 percent behind its year-to-date target. With two months left, it had a shortfall of more than 11,600 toward an annual goal of 63,002.

MSNBC - Army, Marines miss recruiting goals again

WASHINGTON - Pentagon officials say it's not a crisis, but it is a major concern — a battle here at home to win the hearts and minds of potential new recruits.

After more than three years of war in Iraq and Afghanistan, the all-volunteer military is facing its toughest test yet.

In April, the Army missed its recruiting goal for the third month in a row, short by nearly 2,800 recruits, or 42 percent off its target.

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Originally posted by Souljah

Some branches of the US armed services are reporting re-enlistment rates 130% HIGHER than expected.

What are you talking about skippster?

he means re-enlistment in which soldiers who chose to re join the military after finishing their contract, the recruiting is to recruit people who never served the forces yet.

[edit on 26-8-2005 by deltaboy]

[edit on 26-8-2005 by deltaboy]

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Thanks Delta, I cant see his posts anymore because I came to my senus and added him to my ignore list.

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 10:07 AM
link   
While it's nice to see someone trying to say good news on this, my experience just isn't the same.

Our workplace sends packages to many troops, and the majority tone of the letters is that they will be glad to get home, don't plan on re-enlisting, and simply don't feel they are accomplishing much by being there...but they do understand the importance.

There are a few gung-ho ones though too, in the mix, but they are the minority of what I've seen, not the majority. Can't say I blame them, it's a miserable environment, I know first hand. 120 degrees in the shade is no fun, that's for sure. Couple that with the fact that many of the citizens there simply don't support you being there, and I'd imagine it isn't the best thing for morale.

Money though, seems to be a good motivator. The ones I know who are re-enlisting are doing so for the combat pay, benefits, etc. The armed forces are certainly trying to attract the younger recruits big time (notice the glut of more ads, especially those touting the honor, etc. aspects of the military? Some are quite clever actually).

Hell, I wish I could've signed up with the Reserves, and make some extra money, but certain minor medical conditions (which don't even affect me noticeably) kept me from doing so. Why I'd need to run miles if on a sub or a boat I'll never know...

[edit on 26-8-2005 by Gazrok]

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
he means re-enlistment in which soldiers who chose to re join the military after finishing their contract, the recruiting is to recruit people who never served the forces yet.

Well the numbers speak for themselves - the Army is in trouble and just can not meet the required troops numbers needed for Afganistan and Iraqi area of operation.

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Well from this article about mercenaries it states that recruters made July's numbers but thats it.

More recruiters were thrown into the breach. Signing bonuses were increased from $6,000 to $10,000 to -- in some cases -- $20,000. College scholarships ballooned from $50,000 to $70,000. Standards were relaxed.

The percentage of allowable volunteers without a high school degree was raised dramatically. TV and print commercials were changed to target reluctant parents instead of the sons and daughters. Some recruits were told they'd only have to serve 15 months instead of the normal two years.

Despite the 1,800 dead and 14,000 wounded in Iraq, the new strategies seemed to work. The numbers are up for July -- with the Army and Marines back above monthly goals – but the Army, Army Reserve and Army National Guard are all expected to fall below annual recruitment targets by Sept. 30, when the federal fiscal year ends.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I was deployed to Iraq for 14 months. I came home last November. Right now I and some of my fellow soldiers are trying to reenlist to a different unit that is deploying to Iraq. I don't care what anyone says or what anyone has read in a letter about soldiers that want to come home, majority of the soldiers want to complete the mission. When we first got over there, of course we didn't like it there and wanted to go home but after a month or so, we adapted. In my opinion, the only soldiers that want to come home are soldiers that are over there for the first time and have been there for a short time.
As for recuitment, I haven't looked at the stats for rectruitment, I really don't have to. The unit I am in now has approximately 400 more soldiers than it is alloted to have. The army is having to build more barracks because new recruits are still flowing in at a higher rate than they have in the past.

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Recruitment goals can be offset by higher-than-expected re-inlistment goals, pure and simple. It is a normal occurance to have lower than expected enlistment numbers during a time of war or extended hostilities. This is simply the "I'm only in it for the college education" crowd expressing their desire to not get shot at.

Having lower than expected enlistment goals does not mean the Army is "in trouble", and first-term enlistees do not constitute the backbone of our military either. The backbone of all US services are the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th term NCO's who form the majority of the enlisted forces.

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 10:59 AM
link   
The Army may miss thier recruiting goal but come on, it isn't in trouble. The recruiting goal is best case scenerio for god sakes. I have two nephews currently in the Armed Forces that just re-enlisted and a third that is a private secruity contractor in Iraq. Hell I tried to talk the one that is a contractor out of going and he wouldn't hear of it. Let Ole Benny Laden and his minnions set off another bomb on American Territory and see what happens to the recruiting goal. It is like Skippy said, the hard core a** kickers are enlisting and re-enlisting. I'd rather go to battle with a handful of dedicated hardcore a** kickers or mercenaries anyday than a 100 benefit chasers. It's not the man in fight, it's the fight in the man! Hoo Ra

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yorga
The Army may miss thier recruiting goal but come on, it isn't in trouble.

It's not, this is just something some would like to believe, especially those with american hatred. It's sad ive heard people talk about their own country with very little respect, and after all america has done? How can you say all these terrible things especially if its your homeland!

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 11:14 AM
link   
[edit on 26-8-2005 by Yorga]

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 11:19 AM
link   
What the hell are you talking about
I think maybe you better sit down and read my post again
If after the second time you still don't understand what I said then get an interpetor, cause cuz English is apparently not your first language.

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
Thanks Delta, I cant see his posts anymore because I came to my senus and added him to my ignore list.

First off, it is senses. Second of all, why ignore the truth?

It is really too bad how brainwashed half of this country is. Perhaps in time, people will come to their senses and realize how stupid this war is.

I want to ask you one question Skippy, WHY are we in Iraq?

Dont say WMD's because that was BS, they never had the ones that Bushie said they did. The ones they DID have at one time were given by US when Iraq was an ally.

Dont say 911, Iraq had NOTHING to do with it.

Dgive me an excuse of "liberating" the Iraqi people - the country is in shambles.

So, why? Could it be Operation Iraqi Liberation??? The only thing we have liberated them from is a functioning country.

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   
LogansRun,

You know the whole world hates a . Correcting someones spelling is a really cheap shot at trying to convince yourself that you are the more intelligent. People get excited and typos happen. Suppose your so great that you never made a mistake? Get over yourself!

[Edited to remove censor circumnavigation - Jak]

[edit on 26/8/05 by JAK]

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 12:45 PM
link   
And the BLACK BAND will be among us once again.

Come on fellas, calm down a bit here. Lets not see any one with a warning tag.

[edit on 26-8-2005 by Bikereddie]

JAK

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 12:46 PM
link   
The topic is "'Wonderful time to be a soldier', A soldiers tale on the War on Terror" lets stick to that and avoid personal attacks please.

Thank you.

Jak

[edit on 26/8/05 by JAK]

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yorga
LogansRun,

You know the whole world hates a smarta**. Correcting someones spelling is a really cheap shot at trying to convince yourself that you are the more intelligent. People get excited and typos happen. Suppose your so f****** great that you never made a mistake? Get over yourself!

Perhaps if people posted more intelligent threads that weren't so one sided and biased then people like me wouldn't make smarta**ed comments.
Perhaps if people started threads that weren't generally so hate filled & bigoted (referencing Skippy's MANY anti-Iran/Muslim posts) then people like me wouldn't make smarta**ed comments.
I never claimed any level of intelligence, that is your assumption.
Since you replied, would you like to answer my question? WHY are we in Iraq??

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I don't care what the US Military is "claiming"....there is absolutely NO WAY that the re-enlistment rate of soilders who are or have the possibility of going to IRAQ is UP 130%. Skippy peanut butter boy said "in some branches re-enlistment is up 130%" He is probably right...Generals, Desk Jockeys, Boot Camp Instructors...yeah they're probably like "heck yea sign me up, im not the one going to die". I know, and know 9 soldiers in different branches that have been, or are in Iraq....of the 3 (yes only 3) that are back, they were bribed and begged to stay in....and NONE of them stayed. And from what they have told me, they will never re-enlist, nor do the vast majority of the troops over in Iraq have ANY desire to re-enlist once their tour is over. And with regards to the other 6 poor souls still fighting for Bush's pocketbook, from what i've heard from their relatives...they have absolutly no intention of staying in the military once they're done.

The Military can rant all day long about how much soldiers love what they're doing in Iraq, those who buy it, I hope I also get a chance to take advantage of your feeble sheep mind at some point in the future, to fatten my wallet.

Wait for the draft, which will come, and you all will be eating your words. Ill lie my way out of having to go by breaking a toe, developing some ailment....i think the most fun would be failing my shooting tests miserably....or forgetting how to tie my shoes....or pretending I am retarded. I think it would be quite amusing. Ill let all the unintelligent, impressionable meatheads go fight the war, while i stay home and impregnate all their women, make millions of dollars, and laugh all the way to the bank.

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 01:02 PM
link   
My apologies to anyone that I may have offended. Dishing the US Military is a real sore point with me.
I promise to behave

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join