It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran & Syria Prepare to Launch Coup in Iraq?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Iraq: Al-Sadr Reasserts Himself -- This Time Against Coreligionists

According to this article:

"Last week, the website Sawt Al-Iraq (www.sotaliraq.com...) published a report citing an unidentified senior ex-officer from the Hussein regime as saying that Iran and Syria are preparing to launch a coup in Iraq at the start of Ramadan this October.

The officer claimed that the action is to begin with a surge of suicide bombings and the targeting of power and water networks, along with demonstrations against the al-Ja'fari government. Agents of Iran and Syria, along with former Iraqi intelligence, are to don police uniforms and infiltrate police units on the streets -- opening fire on demonstrators -- in an effort to spark more demonstrations, according to the website.

The infiltrators, wearing police and National Guard uniforms, are to then enter the Green Zone, "get it under control, kill everyone there, and establish a military government." The report, while unsubstantiated, supports the two states' goals toward self-preservation, and their desire to use whatever means -- be it an alliance with the Shi'a or an alliance with former Ba'athists -- to obstruct any progress in Iraq."

I think that Al-Sadr is looking to set himself up as the next Saddam...

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Punchdrunk
The officer claimed that the action is to begin with a surge of suicide bombings and the targeting of power and water networks, along with demonstrations against the al-Ja'fari government.

Al Jaafari is pro-Iranian.
He was given shelter there for most of the 1980's and after he became the head of the Iraqi government he said he would not support US military action against Iran. He's the best the Iranians could hope for. It wouldn't make sense for them to take him or his government out.

The guy who's saying this was from the Hussein regime so was probably Sunni.
Maybe he's just trying to stir up suspicion amongst the Shiites.

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 01:24 PM
link   

are to then enter the Green Zone, "get it under control, kill everyone there, and establish a military government."

I think that everyone hopes the syrians and iranians are that stupid, but I don't think anyone beleives it. There is no military in that part of the world that can overthrow the US Army. Period. The only way to get US troops out is to prolong the war such that the americans get bored and crabby and go home, which isn't very likely.

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I would imagine that any serious sort of coup attempt like this would come after the Americans leave... but it does appear that Al-Sadr is attempting to set himself in a position to try and become the Iraqi version of Iran's Khomeini, and set up a government of Islamic clergy - which Khomeini called a velayat-e faqih, or the guardianship of the religious jurist.

I agree that Syria and Iran would not make any type of "openly aggressive" moves while American troops are there.

new topics

top topics

join