It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Benevolent & Protective Order of Elks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 12:13 AM
link   
As I was browsing through Wikipedia tonite I had stumbled upon an organization called the Benevolent & Protective Order of Elks. The seem to be almost identical to the Freemasons. I am wondering how jointly related (if at all) these two organization are. I did a quick search and couldn't find any topics previously done on them (maybe I did something wrong) so I figured to post. I am also interested to seeing if we have any members of this organization like we do for Freemasonry. Looking forward to the replies.

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 08:25 AM
link   
The Elks are another fraternal organization, I don't know of any specific connections to the masons tho, but I bet its one of those groups where there is a lot of confluence in membership. I've seen a number of elks lodges around. Apparently, not too long ago, it was very fashionable to have these sorts of clubs, the elks, the moose, etc etc. I get the general impression that the elks are considered much more of a social/drinking club with charitable inclinations, than, say, the personal improvement aspects that masonry has.

df1

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Ive done a Google search on "anti-Elks" and didnt get any hits for the group. Im quite upset that the Masons get all of the flak while these bestial Elks skate scot free. Nobody says anything about their molestation of moose and deer. This is a travesity.

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 11:04 AM
link   
A little background: www.salisburyelks.org...

www.wyomingtalesandtrails.com...

The B.P.O.Elks was founded in New York on Feb. 16, 1868, by entertainers who would meet above the Jolly Cork Tavern. Its founder is regarded as Charles Algernon Sidney Vivian (1842-1880), an English music hall entertainer, who was a member of the Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes in England. Vivian died in Leadville, Colo., Mar. 20, 1880. At the time of his death. he was the leader of a repertoire company performing in Leadville. The RAOB and the "Eleven O'Clock symbol on the Elks' emblem and the Elks' Eleven O'Clock Toast, in theory, trace their history to the period prior to the Norman Invasion of England in 1066. During the 1067 uprising, Oda, half-brother of King William, instituted a curfew, from the Norman French term couvre le feu, "cover the fire," when all hearth fires were required to be banked at 11:00, thus ending all meetings. At the hour of 11:00 a toast was made in remembrance of those who were gone.

Looks as though the Masons aren't the only ones who get the Goat jokes... Although from what this article says, the Elks actually did rid the goat...

If you enjoy historical "spelunking," you might try to find someone initiated before 1952, when the blindfolding of candidates was done away with (ER rapped four times as the signal to remove blindfolds), or even better, ask some of Elkdom's older Lodges if they still have paraphernalia for the old "Part II" wherein pranks were played upon incoming members. Some of these were quite complex electro-mechanical wonders, while others squirted water or shot off blanks.

The most widespread practice was for each candidate to ride a live goat around the Lodge room. A 1901 poem, "When Father Rode The Goat" should give some idea of the former initiation's arduous nature:

When Father Rode the Goat.

The house is full of arnica
And mystery profound;
We do not dare to run about
Or make the slightest sound;
We leave the big piano shut
And do not strike a note;
The doctor's been here seven times
Since father rode the goat.

He joined the lodge a week ago --
Got in at 4 a.m.
And sixteen brethren brought him home
Though he says he brought them.
His wrist WAS sprained and one big rip,
Had rent his Sunday coat --
There must have been a lively time
When father rode the goat.

He’s resting on the couch to-day!
And practicing his signs --
The hailing signal, working grip,
And other monkeyshines;
He mutters passwords ‘neath his breath,
And other things he'll quote --
They surely had an evening's work
When father rode the goat.

He has a gorgeous uniform,
All gold and red and blue;
A bat with plunges and yellow braid,
And golden badges too.
But, somehow, when we mention it,
He wears a look so grim
We wonder if he rode the goat
Or if the goat rode him.

Heheh.

[edit on 8/26/05 by The Axeman]

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Axeman
thus ending all meetings. At the hour of 11:00 a toast was made in remembrance of those who were gone.

Wiat, are they saying that the 11 oclock symbol is why they have the elk head? Because of a pre-conquest curfew? before there were clocks??

Are they sure that its not the Royal Anarchonistic Order of the Buffalo that this guy was in?

new topics

top topics

join