It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian National Security Certificates Facing Constitutional Challenge

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 10:24 PM
link   
The Canadian Supreme Court has decided to hear a Constitional Challenge on the security certificate, brought by Adil Charkaoui. The challenge is on the basis that the certificates contravene the Charter of Rights and obligations under international laws.

One of the federal government's key anti-terrorism tools, the controversial security certificate, will come under the scrutiny of the Supreme Court of Canada. The high court agreed Thursday to hear a constitutional challenge from Adil Charkaoui, one of five Muslim men branded as suspected terrorists in federal certificates.

Charkaoui, 32, was arrested in May 2003 at his apartment in a working-class Montreal neighbourhood on allegations he is a sleeper agent for Osama bin Laden's al-Qaida network.

He was released on $50,000 bail in February and continues to fight deportation to his Moroccan homeland. His supporters argue he would be tortured if sent back to his birthplace.

Anti-terrorism certificate scrutinized

I really don't know what to say. I'm slightly surprised that the Supreme Court has decided to hear this but not at all displeased. I've made no secret that I abhor the use of security certificates. I don't trust my government enough to make those kinds of decisions without me.

I wonder if there is any chance at all of this coming out in Charkaoui's favour? And I really want to know what my fellow Canadians think. Not that I'm excluding Americans, I'm just a little worried that this may be upsetting for you. Please don't shoot the messenger.....

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 10:44 PM
link   
maybe we should just start putting suspected terrorists in work camps or should i say concentration camps. i cant belive they are attempting to deport immigrants that are legally in canada without some proper evidence and a complete trial thats completley unconstitutional.

join