posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 03:45 PM
After returning from overseas just a few months ago, it became immediately obvious the American public has no clue as to the true situation.
- The US is isolated from the rest of the world, separated by two oceans and a language barrier.
- Most educated people in the world speak multiple languages; some of us barely speak one.
- Most Europeans are educated in history, geography, and world events. If you recall back to the days before the Bush/Gore election, one of the
candicates (ahem) failed to identify entire nations and their leaders.
- Europeans receive over 200 news channels from around the world, of which our ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, and CNN are simply 5 and not well respected at
- We Americans were shielded from the explicit horrors of 9/11 which were broadcast in other nations. Frankly, I was grateful not to see people
leaping from the WTC, but yes, we were protected from that knowledge.
- Likewise, we are shielded from the horrors happening in Iraq. For example, when a wedding party was bombed, Rumsfield said the US was looking into
this doubtful situation, but in the rest of the world, the splattered bodies of the bride, groom, families and children were available from Reuters
and other international agencies.
- We have no clue how hated we have become. No American travels anywhere in Iraq without bodyguards. Americans live in guarded compounds or guarded
hotels. News cameras show reporters talking to 'common people' which are generally heavily guarded staged events. (We aren't told that this is also
true in Saudi Arabia and some other places.)
- During the Iraqi election campaign, the parties ran ads claiming 'vote for us and we'll outst the Americans'.
- Iraqis are cynical about our brand of freedom and democracy. For example, our administration banned the first two political parties which tried to
register (one religious, one socialist).
- The US also banned Aljazeera, not because they were anti-US, but because they wouldn't broadcast the propaganda Rumsfield wanted. Instead, the US
has spent our tax money to build a TV studio to put out our administration's message, which has become thoroughly distrusted.
- We are breeding more and more anti-US terrorists every day. That is unlikely to change.
- We are NOT winning. This is the biggest message that the American people aren't getting. We aren't told this because our liberal press doesn't
want us to feel bad. We are, effectively, kept in an isolation of actual happenings unless we step outside our limitations.
Do I have the answers about when and how to pull out? No. All I have tried to do is lend a little balance to the pictures painted by our liberal
media, and trust that we can find a solution from this mess.