It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freemasonry and the Tarot

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by The_Final

I don't trust this link because of the fact that this site's URL is

http:// freemasonry.bcy.ca/anti-masonry/rebuild_temple.html

Actually, that's a very good website. It belongs to the Grand Lodge of British Columbia and the Yukon, and features a large variety of Masonic scholarship.

[edit on 26-8-2005 by Masonic Light]

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by df1
For those interested in the topic of this thread, Freemasonry and the Tarot, this extract may be useful.

THE SECRET TEACHINGS OF ALL AGES: Chapter An Analysis of Tarot Cards by Manly P. Hall

Excellent book. I have a battleworn copy here I have used for many many years. I have followed through much research from this book. The book covers all areas of the "occult' and symbolism and is full of lovely big illustration plates. it covers the tetragrammaton, abraxas, mithras, christianity, Ancient Egypt, Rosicrucians, Francis Bacon and many many other subjects.

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Well the skeleton on that horse certainly makes the classiest death card I've seen yet. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what all the Tarot means. The chinese say a picture is worth a thousand words. So, what do all those cards mean?

[edit on 26-8-2005 by TgSoe]

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 09:48 PM
link   
TgSoe,
many people have spent many years studying the meanings of the tarot. It is not information you can pick up quickly.
I can't imagine anyone doing justice to the knowledge found in the Tarot in the time and space allowed here.

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Ive recently been offered the aleister crowley's book of thot and corresponding set of tarot card as a gift. its a very interesting read indeed.

as for tarot cards, my personal favorites are those on the bottom of this page b2r.org... (it is worth a look trust me)

exemples

The Empress
The Hermit
Death
The moon

Arent they amazing?

df1

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
It is not information you can pick up quickly.
I can't imagine anyone doing justice to the knowledge found in the Tarot in the time and space allowed here.

Do you really think so? The time and space available on ATS is pretty much unlimited, so I do not see how the available time and space on ATS is a limitation in learning about the Tarot or any other subject for that matter.

In terms of time, ATS allows to people learn about subjects a bit at a time, a little bit from one post and some more from another. The string of individual posts could be quite long and could be months if not years apart. It is not necessary to learn everything about the Tarot from a single post.

In terms of space, the information is not limited to that contained in individual posts, but rather encompasses the entire internet via the use of links and references to print publications with each adding another bit of knowledge.

IMHO no time or space limitation exists to learning about you want to learn.

TgSoe, I would suggest learning the meaning of each card, then studying the various methods of dealing cards and the meaning of the positions in which the cards appear.

[edit on 27-8-2005 by df1]

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 11:17 AM
link   
df1, sure spacae here is unlimited, theoretically, but I don't think the Tarot is best learned without guidance. At least for most.
And, it certainly best learned in stages, at one's own pace. Here's a possible place to learn:

Builders of the Adytum is an authentic Mystery School. Its system is that of the Western Tradition. Its teachings, which are based on the Holy Qabalah and the Sacred Tarot, have been handed down from one group of initiates to another since very ancient times. Its work, however, does not bid for interest on the ground of mere antiquity, but because it has met the tests of centuries of practical application.

www.bota.org...

df1

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
I don't think the Tarot is best learned without guidance.

I can certainly agree with that statement. Several years ago while delving into the Tarot (without guidance) I scared the crap out of myself and I am not one to scare easily. I began feeling presences and breaking out in cold sweats while reading the cards. To say the least it was not a pleasant experience, so I stopped using the Tarot. However I chalk this up as being my own demons getting the best of me, so I wouldnt dissuade somebody else from pursuing such study independently. But I would suggest that it be done with extreme caution.

I have since studied with some of the online Tarot programs and did not have any negative or occult experiences. Perhaps this would be a good way for the merely curious to study the Tarot in a more academic, rather than occult, manner before deciding to work with the physical cards. It seems to me that touching the cards is necessary to explore the Tarot in an occult manner.

Are you involved with bota?

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Its pretty clear that he misspoke, not lied.

"Pull it!" says lease holder Larry Silverstein.

More About Building 7:
thewebfairy.com...
www.thewebfairy.com...

It is obvious you get your information from "trusted" news sources like CNN. It would be difficult if not impossible to get through to someone as thick headed and close minded as you. Any attempt to illuminate you will result in a rude, officious, smarmy comment. Discussing any sort of conspiracy in this environment is impossible because of the shrill chirping of the moderator demanding PROOF. A conspiracy theory does not require proof since it is a only a theory.

I just posted absolute proof that WTC 7 was demolished, but of course the mod will keep his eyes wide shut and demand "proof". The proof is in the pudding droogy.

[edited big quote please use single layer and specific quotes not entire posts -nygdan]

[edit on 29-8-2005 by Nygdan]

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Hmmmmmmmmm let's think about this for a minute. A burning buliding with SEVERAL tons of structure above the fire. No, it couldn't have have fallen of it own accord.

Where did you find a statement saying there was proof of a bomb?

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 10:36 PM
link   
We are balancing on a 9/11 thread here. I just wanted to throw in my .02 here in that I believe the Tarot and the Knights Templar are connected. If you have read "The Second Messiah" by Christopher Knight and Robert Lomas you will get a glimpse at this. I know alot of Knight & Lomas' stuff is assumptions and sketchy, but I believe they are on to something with the tarot connection.

I'm a master mason, so don't confuse me with an over the top conspiracy theorist. It is my view though that very FEW occult ideals do draw from, or contribute to, masonry. Many because I studied the occult quite a while before joining the masonic temple

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by moonchild
as for tarot cards, my personal favorites are those on the bottom of this page b2r.org... (it is worth a look trust me)

Thanks, moonchild. Excellent link - BEAUTIFUL!
BTW - My friend is a moonchild and he's starting research into what tha means, Have you started a thread somewhere on the subject? Feel free to u2u me. (Francais, pas un probleme mon homme)

Originally posted by Alex_De_Large
I just posted absolute proof that WTC 7 was demolished, but of course the mod will keep his eyes wide shut and demand "proof". The proof is in the pudding droogy.

Ya that Silverstein quote is definitely strange.
Is is discuss on ATS in Silverstein Responds to "pull it" comment, kind of...

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 12:58 PM
link   

It is obvious you get your information from "trusted" news sources like CNN.

Hmm, strange. That statement doesn't seem to support the idea that there were bombs in the building.

It would be difficult if not impossible to get through to someone as thick headed and close minded as you.

Interesting, juvenile response. Please learn to talk to grown ups and then come bacl.

Any attempt to illuminate you will result in a rude, officious, smarmy comment.

Who, me, smarmy? Nah.

Discussing any sort of conspiracy in this environment is impossible because of the shrill chirping of the moderator demanding PROOF.

Wow. That speaks volumes.

If you can't learn to reason, think, or discuss a subject with other people at least learn to use the 'quote code' properly, its not that diffcult.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Getting back onto the Thread issues. It is highly possible that some of the more esoteric Freemasons may have dabbled in Cartomancy but does it matter.

They are just Symbolic Archetypes after all. They represent patterns within our minds.

Let's face it Psychologists like Jung and the Transpersonals utilise these same symbols.

Cartomancy was popularised by the French and by the Romani, it's just divination - some can read by reading a normal set of cards.

I don't see what Freemasonry has done to Tarot, what is it links with the Quabalah or with Esoteric Judaism?

I'm confused, as Korzybski said: "The Map Is Not The Territory."

[edit on 3-9-2005 by castlesonair]

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Notice the two towers in the death card and the moon card? I think it's more than likely that the Grand Architect had a hand in designing the WTC.

Alternatively, he could've had a hand in writing J.R.R. Tolkein's The Two Towers, designing standing computer cases, the Petronas Twin Towers, Simcity Nuclear plants cooling towers, various ancient Greek architecture's columns, and my two bottles of deodorant standing side by side above my computer.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Freemasons are all about immanentesizing the eschatology, making the apocalypse immanent.

Do you take this seriously then?
:

[edit on 5-9-2005 by 23spy]

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Alternatively, he could've had a hand in writing J.R.R. Tolkein's The Two Towers, designing standing computer cases, the Petronas Twin Towers, Simcity Nuclear plants cooling towers, various ancient Greek architecture's columns, and my two bottles of deodorant standing side by side above my computer.

Wow, you're right. I'm so ashamed I think I'll go kill myself.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by 23spy

Freemasons are all about immanentesizing the eschatology, making the apocalypse immanent.

Do you take this seriously then?
:

[edit on 5-9-2005 by 23spy]

It would be useless to find knowledge in a work of fiction. I wouldn't take anything you read in that seriously.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Alex_De_Large, I have no interest in joining the dog pile attacking you for presenting your views on the events of 9/11. The problem you're having is in making huge leaps of supposition. The image of two towers on the Major Arcana cards XIII, Death, and XVIII, The Moon, are way too basic as symbols to build a case for a grand masonic conspiracy.

Here's the wikipedia biography of Arthur Edward Waite:

"Arthur Edward Waite (October 2, 1857 - May 19, 1942) was an occultist and co-creator of the Rider-Waite Tarot deck.

Born in America, and raised in England, A.E. Waite joined the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn in 1891 and also entered the Societas Rosicruciana in Anglia in 1902. When he became Grand Master of the Order in 1903, changing its name to the Holy Order the Golden Dawn (or, possibly, the Independent and Rectified Rite of the Golden Dawn), many members rejected his focus on mysticism over magic, and a rival group, Stella Matutina (Morning Star), split off at the urging of poet William Butler Yeats. The Golden Dawn was torn by further internal feuding until Waite's departure in 1914; a year later he formed the Fellowship of the Rosy Cross. By that time there existed some half-dozen offshoots from the original Golden Dawn, and as a whole it never recovered.

Waite was a prolific author of occult texts on subjects including divination, Rosicrucianism, freemasonry, black and ceremonial magic, Kabbalism and alchemy; he also translated and reissued several important mystical and alchemical works. His works on the Holy Grail, influenced by his friendship with Arthur Machen, were particularly notable. A number of his volumes remain in print, the Book of Ceremonial Magic, The Holy Kabbalah, and New Encyclopedia of Freemasonry having seen reprints in recent years.

Waite is best known as the co-creator of the popular and widely used Rider-Waite Tarot deck and author of its companion volume, the Pictorial Key to the Tarot. This was notable for being one of the first decks to illustrate all 78 cards fully, not just the 22 major arcana. Golden Dawn member Pamela Colman Smith illustrated the cards, and they were first published in 1910."

It's demonstrable that the cards of the Major Arcana represent the paths connecting the ten sefirot of the Cabalistic Tree of Life, representing (basically) the paths one can take to pass from innocence to enlightenment. XIII, Death, connects Netzach (victory) to Tiphareth (beauty). XVIII, The Moon, connects Netzach to Malkuth (kingdom) the first or base sefirot. The towers on the cards are separated in such a way that the moon, on card XVIII, has risen equidistant between the two towers. On XIII the rising sun fits into the same position. From this one could safely argue that the towers represent the left and right hand columns of the Tree of Life with the celestial objects depicted representing the middle pillar or a sefirot on the middle pillar. The second sefirot Yesod (foundation), located one step up on the middle column from Malkuth, is associated with the moon.

I'm not saying there's no validity in the argument you're trying to present but it's quite obvious that you need to engage in a deeper study of esoteric symbolism and the history of the occult tradition before you're going to be able to present anything on this track that holds water. If you do engage in this study I think you will find the hermetecism, esotericism, etc. is too broad a field to pigeon-hole the actions of individuals who may be versed in such things to the entire field. It would be like blaming all Christians for the evils enacted during the Spanish Inquisition. Speculative Masonry and Rosicrucianism are elements of a broader stream running through recorded history to preliterate times. This information is not the sole propriety of any group.

Also it's hard to take someone serious when they state that nothing relevant can be learned from a work of fiction (preposterous) after that person has recommended people to watch the movie "The Skulls" in support of one of his arguments. No offense.

[edit on 23-9-2005 by Cicada]

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Larry Silverstein said "we decided to pull it" within the context of him mentioning there being such a great loss of life. They pulled the building using explosives and it fell just like the twin towers. He should be on trial for conspiracy to commit insurance fraud - at the very least! The very fact that it is not even discussed says more to me then anything else.

As for the Tarots: I understand the secret teachings were placed on the Tarots in order to protect an ancient knowledge from those who would try and destroy them. The Tarots could stand the test of time and then be understood by those who have reached higher consciousness etc.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join