It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

French Shark Fishing With Puppies As Bait

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Well, this was a little shocking. Birgitte Bardot is calling for the French to halt shark fishing -- with puppies.

According to Clicanoo, a newspaper in Reunion, a French island located in the Indian Ocean, a six-month-old puppy was found last month with hooks implanted in its snout and one of its legs.

The French Society for the Protection of Animals (SPA) told the daily the dog was the victim of cruel fishermen who attract sharks by throwing puppies or kittens into the water, tied to fishing lines, and wait for the predators to swallow the thrashing animals.

I'm not really sure what they can do if it's illegal. However, if this practice is legal there...Why on earth hasn't a law been passed to change that?!

EDIT: Forgot link: sg.news.yahoo.com...

[edit on 8-25-2005 by junglejake]

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
Well, this was a little shocking. Birgitte Bardot is calling for the French to halt shark fishing -- with puppies.

According to Clicanoo, a newspaper in Reunion, a French island located in the Indian Ocean, a six-month-old puppy was found last month with hooks implanted in its snout and one of its legs.

What the hell??? Couldn't they just hook their famous baguette's on the
line? Everyone love's baguette's, I don't see why shark's wouldn't either!
And cute innocent little puppies? That is one heartless p.o.s, i'd like to tie him to a rod and let a shark pull him apart little by little.

MOD EDIT:Fixing broken quotes.

[edit on 8/27/2005 by cmdrkeenkid]

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I don't think you can really call this French shark fishing.
The staus of this Island sounds more like that of the US Northern Mariana Islands, perhaps even more independent than that.

The article does state that the reidents of that area were horrified so it's not like this is an accepted practice.

Here's some background on the Island:
www.bartleby.com...
www.historyofnations.net...

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 05:13 PM
link   
From the article, it sounds like a French province.

Also, just because the locals are horrified doesn't mean it's not legal. Look at the debate going on over the protesters in front of the hospital and the controversy over abortion. Many are horrified that it's taking place, but it's completely legal.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 05:17 PM
link   
This is the action of one sick depraved individual. You know. we gots them here too.

Shame

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Are they dead or alive? If alive, would you have a problem if they were dead? Is using deceased feline/canines as bait any different than dead fish as bait?

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ess Why Kay
Are they dead or alive? If alive, would you have a problem if they were dead? Is using deceased feline/canines as bait any different than dead fish as bait?

They're alive. The thrashing and splashing, according to the article, brings the sharks to the "bait".

Dunno if I'd have a problem if they were dead, but I kinda doubt it. After finding out the Chinese eat dog, it got me wondering. If I ever go out there, I think I'll have to try it

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Ive heard of people fishing for musky using live cats but never puppies.

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Oh how horrible, using animals to hunt and kill other animals. The horror the horror.

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   
OMG! "Don't eat tuna, dolphins get caught in the nets!" What about the tuna? "F them they taste good!"

Hahahahaha!!!!!! So hypocritical! "Don't use puppies!" What about the shark? "Uh, well, uh, you see, uh, don't use puppies!"

BTW Kittens Cause Cancer, great name!

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Does this work????? It must work...I have got to try it. I will use little baby rabbits to go bass fishing making the bass think it is a hurt frog. Genious..

J/K....that is a sick story but it is what they do. In Asian countries instead of using housepets as bait they eat the things. Some people might think I am a sick person for using a worm or crawdad as bait. Its all about the culture. That is really sad though thinking about a little puppy kicking and crying in the water and then RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRR....Here comes Jaws.
Now I would never do such a thing to a puppy, kitten or full grown dog...A full grown cat is a different story. they make me sneeze and have attitudes. I would dangle one over jaws to give an attitude re-adjustment.
Whatever happened to chumming and using the family roast?

[edit on 26-8-2005 by Timcouchfanclub]

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 03:36 PM
link   
If I used some ugly lizard for the same purposes the outcry wouldn't even happen.

[edit on 26-8-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
So if I use some ugly lizard for the same purposes the outcry would be?

More than likly, naught. People with lizards for pets might be upset, but they are a severe minority compared to dog lovers. The thing is, it's easy to dismiss an animal until you get to know one or more. Suddenly you realize they have a personality, and you feel compassion for that kind of animal. Kind of twisted, I agree, but there it is.

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Is it the French, or natives from an island that the french lay claim to?

I mean, really, the French were defeated by the puppies in the Franco-puppian War of 1847. I doubt that they'd breech the terms of the capitulation treaty....

Originally posted by junglejake
f I ever go out there, I think I'll have to try it

I know someone who's had south korean dog, they siad that it really doesn't taste that distinct. They used to live near a Dog Farm. Everyonce in a while they'd hear the dogs increase their barking to a crescendo, and then stop altoghether. Might as well have been a dinner bell that sounds next!

Apparently they've come across the dogs in prep at the butchering stations, all hanging from hooks disembowled and what not.

[edit on 26-8-2005 by Nygdan]

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I suggest using cats. They hate the water and splash more. Besides, it's legal to shoot cats in some US states, so at least using them for bait gives some purpose to their lives. Also, they have eight more chances to live.

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Is it the French, or natives from an island that the french lay claim to?

From what I understand, it's the natives from an island that the french lay claim to. It also sounds like it's not illegal there to fish with live puppies, though.

Oh, and if anyone wants to use this for that compare sources game, be sure to point out that I used the word puppies instead of dogs. There's just something that stirs people more in the word puppy than the word dog

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I cannot believe anyone would/could use a living creature like that for bait.

Worms, sure, minnows, even. But, Fido or Fifi or
the depravity of it all.

I'd hate to be around when those fishermen's karma comes back at them

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nikita
I'd hate to be around when those fishermen's karma comes back at them

Actually, they've already been captured by some aliens. Personal forcefields were erected around them (so they could breathe) with massive treble hooks shoved through their faces and they're being trolled with for the Great Spagetti Monster of Azeretio

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I'd had relatives who lived in France. Its not common practice.:shk:

top topics

join