It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can the brain learn to "read" radio waves???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Over the years I've been running into a very strange phenomenon. I will be thinking of a song, and turn on the radio to find out that the song is playing.

The most striking incident happened 5 years ago. I was in the car with my broher, and a song suddenly jumped into my head, and was just stuck there. I started singing sort of under my breath. My brother immediately says- I was just in the same part of that song! I turned on the radio hoping we'd hear it eventually- the song was on the radio, it had just passed the part I had started singing.

I tend to run into this maybe 5-10 times a year, and exclusively with radio stations that I listen to frequently.

I am beginning to suspect that the brain can sense patterns of radio waves, and that if you hear a song enough times on the radio your brain can associate a pattern with a song, causing you to think of the song when your brain recognizes the familiar pattern at a familiar frequency.

Does anybody think this is possible, or is this just an oustanding coincidence?

fum

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 03:58 PM
link   
happens to me aswell lol

Edit- way to many smileys)

[edit on 25-8-2005 by asala]

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 04:02 PM
link   
This may be an urban ledgeng but people have reported fillings in their teeth picking up radio stations and being able to hear it. Maybe its below your threshold of hearing.

It would be truly a concidence if your fillings were picking up your favorite stations. Are they AM or FM stations?

There must be some logical reason for this. However I suppose it could be some kind of weird psi talent. Do you exhibit anyother psychic abilities?

fum

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   
lmao stfu thats stupid and its not proven even if you have braces you wouldnt be able to pick up a station i had braces and i needed a 4 foot tall aluminum foil antena to pick up a faint sound of a radio station

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 04:18 PM
link   
for one thing the fm signal needs to be demodulated from the radio field into analog waveforms that the brain can hear. Your mind cant hear fm broadcasts neither can people with dental hygeine problems without a decoder aka an fm reciever. However, psionics is a whole different ball game.. mabey your just intuitive or ready to bust forth with some mental powers you never thought you had.

regards

the fanatical

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I don't believe you can tune into radio waves with you rmind, but I too also get that when you think of the song, hit the on switch or change station and it's there.
But I get losts of things like that generally anyway, I think your probably just 'gifted'.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Just to be clear, I am fairly certain that the brain can not process radio signals into sound. I somewhat doubt that having fillings in your teeth or anything else would allow this.

What I am suggesting is that the body can percieve subtle variations in radiation affecting it, and although it can not independently interpret them, it can learn to associate a certain pattern of variations with hearing a certain song (not unlike Pavlov's dogs association the bell with feeding time), thus giving a person the ability to percieve when a certain song is being played on a frequency where they have heard it before.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Association could be a possible explanation for it. I was just about to post that but you already did... hmm.....

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I tend to think that it is entirely possible for a person to pick up things like radio waves subconsciously.

People spend all their lives at times trying to achieve 'nirvana' ..where your subconscious and conscious thoughts become one and the same. Perhaps you are further along that path than others. Perhaps that "unknown/unstudied subconscious does pick up more of the spectrum than our conscious thought. It would make sense when people see auras, hear things, see shadow...Perhaps there minds are actually stretching and tuning into more of that spectrum at each or either ends. Visual and Aural

To poo poo or tell people to STFU on this issue is obsurd. There is so much study of the human brain that has not been undertaken. There are so many oddities that do need to be researched before a person can really say Yay or Nay in either direction.

and yes it often happens to me too..

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Something goes on, and its somewhat common. Ive found myself many times start singing along with a song randomly in my head, and sometimes outloud. And then i go turn on my radio and its at the exact spot that im singing with it.

Think what you wish. Im not sure what to think. But i dont believe in Coincidence.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 06:31 PM
link   
How often do you listen to the radio on average, so we can put it into perspective. For example, if you only turn on the radio once a week it may be more surprising than if you listen to the radio for several hours a day. Especially since there have been times I have listened to the radio at the same time of day and thought that I was having Deja Vu because the same songs were on, when in fact the radio station was actually just lazy and playing the same playlist over and over each day =).

5 to 10 times a year isn't that amazing, statistically. Even if you only turn on the radio once a day, that is still only a probability between about 0.01 and 0.03 (If my data management skills are still accurate).

However, I believe in the "radio through fillings" thing somewhat, just because of numerous relatives and other people I know who have never experienced anything else weird, but have said they had this happen. Even though it seems illogical and far-fetched.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I think it is certainly possible that humans could somehow key into radio signals. But I have never heard of anyone doing that and I think there would be some problems that came along with it. There is a limit to how far we can change the EM nature of our brains without psychological problems.

Simply put, if you are able to function in society reasonable normally then I think the answer is a little different.

Consider that at any given moment there are hundreds of people around you who are listening to your station. If you live in a big city there are probably thousands. I suspect that they are what you are connecting to, not the radio itself.

It actually makes a fair amount of sense, take a little natural talent, add a whole bunch of people thinking the same things, and it would be fairly easy to pick up on. Music does indeed have more power than words or even normal thoughts and is probably one of the very easiest things to pick up via basic psi skills.

So congrats, you have a little talent. Nothing earth shattering but more than many people.

A.T
(-)

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 07:29 PM
link   
maybe you could make an experiment for yourself???

and you can test if you have this ability or not...

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 08:13 PM
link   
That's actually a very interesting idea Alexander Tau. I hadn't considered that.

There's a fine line between coincidence and psi ability. I've never been arrogant enough to believe that I possessed supernatural abilities, and I'm still not, but I do sometimes question the line between the a random occurance of the improbable and actually having foreknowledge. Like anyone, I occasionally see things coming against all probability, but I'm slow to say I know for a fact what the nature of the occurance is.

Another thing I wonder about in some cases is subconscious calculation. There are several people who are utterly convinced that both my father and I are psychics because we have a tendency to see things coming- but in most cases it's simply a matter of paying attention and weighing the odds. I can't help wondering if some coincidental foreknowledge is actually the product of outstanding calculations made unconsciously.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Not evidance about this or anything, which by the way I do think it could be possible, but check out the album "Radio Waves" by Roger Waters (Original member of Pink Floyd). I saw this post and started to sing a song from the album.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 09:11 PM
link   

There's a fine line between coincidence and psi ability

A very fine line indeed, but a line nonetheless. At some point probability is just not enough to explain some things that do indeed happen.

I've never been arrogant enough to believe that I possessed supernatural abilities, and I'm still not, but I do sometimes question the line between the a random occurance of the improbable and actually having foreknowledge.

There does not have to be any arrogance involved at all, what you have is simply another talent. Whenever humans think they have an advantage over other humans it does tend to go to their heads. Money, Fame, Power, Psi, it is all the same in this regard. But it does not have to be that way if you keep it in perspective.

I of course do not use the word supernatural much because I think it brings with it the idea that these sorts of abilities are 'not natural' and I think they very much are natural. But like any other ability it has to be recognized to be of any use. A person for example might have it within him to be a great runner. If they focused on it when young they would have ended up at the Olympics.

But if no one encourages them, if they for whatever reason have no interest in Track, the ability will never develop. It is still there, and they might feel it to some degree, but it will remain wasted for the rest of their life.

I can't help wondering if some coincidental foreknowledge is actually the product of outstanding calculations made unconsciously.

Some things certainly are that sort of calculation. But to do that you must have some sort of basis, you must know a little of the detail surrounding what you are considering. With your 'song talent' I do not see much that could be the basis for such calcs.

But even this at some point passes the bounds of probability. If you can make an accurate judgement on something with only 5% or 10% of the facts that is pretty remarkable too. I have always been much more interested in the power of the Intution than I have been in specific psi abilities. The two are connected though so if you study one it leads you to the other.

A.T
(-)

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alexander Tau
I think it is certainly possible that humans could somehow key into radio signals. ...

Consider that at any given moment there are hundreds of people around you who are listening to your station. If you live in a big city there are probably thousands. I suspect that they are what you are connecting to, not the radio itself.

A.T
(-)

AT, I believe you are very correct with this answer. I have been reporting on numberous occassions that I whole heartedly believe Telepathy has been harnessed by our government(s).

I believe and have witnessed that somehow people have been given this telepathic capability primarily for use in law enforcement. It probably filtered down form inteligence departments. I currently think it is by administration of some type of chemical that provides some type of chemical imbalance in the body/brain that this capability is passed onto practically anyone.

Now to your post, The Vagabond, the people who have been given this capability are very strong, and those who possess true psi capabilities can in fact pick up their telepathic communication (thought transfer). What you were most probabily picking up on are these people listening to the radio, and singing/THINKING along.

If your capabilities are real, go visit the local law enforcement folks and snoop around a little. If you see them in a convenience store or grocery store, THINK something REAL STUPID to yourself REAL LOUD (i.e., like "these guys SUCK"), and see if you get a reaction. If two of them start looking at one another and seam to be communicating something, yes through telepathy, you will know what is going on. If you care to pursue it further, confront them with what you just witnessed.

TRUST me, this is out there, I am still encouraging members here to do a little snooping and investigation. First places to look are law enforcement agencies and your employer's human resource department and management.

All I ask is to LOOK !!!

[edit on 26-8-2005 by janson0202]

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 01:14 AM
link   
I believe most people unintentionally suppress most thoughts simply because of their state of mind. If it is possible (not saying it isn't) then, are we also subconsciously picking up more than just the music?

Talk radio?

Cell phone conversations?

encoded military transmissions?

At any rate, the true challenge is training the brain to consciously listen to the subconscious decoding of information that is in the air around us, but first the possibility of it must exist within our minds to make the link through the law of association.

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Janson,

I know you are sincere and worried about what you see going on around you. If you are correct then the World is indeed in a whole lot of trouble. But as I just posted on your main Thread I do not think you are right about this.

The only reason I am posting this here is because of the following:

If your capabilities are real, go visit the local law enforcement folks and snoop around a little. If you see them in a convenience store or grocery store, THINK something REAL STUPID to yourself REAL LOUD (i.e., like "these guys SUCK"), and see if you get a reaction. If two of them start looking at one another and seem to be communicating something, yes through telepathy, you will know what is going on. If you care to pursue it further, confront them with what you just witnessed

This is such a bad idea I do not know where to begin. First, it does not take extreme psi abilities to pick up on strong thoughts/emotions. So the idea of thinking 'these guys suck' at a group of police is just a really bad idea. You might get a reaction, but it would not be pleasant. They are trained to pick-up on subtle signs of both hostility and guily, do not tempt fate this way.

Second, if they did indeed have the abilities you mention it would be beyond belief that they would show it in the manner you describe. If they just picked up on something via psi, and are going to act upon what they learned, they are certainly not going to communicate via psi in front of you.

And finally, if you did get a reaction to your thoughts, and you indeed thought they were communicating via psi, the LAST thing you should do is confront them. If you were lucky they would just laugh you off, if you were unlucky you would soon be dead.

If you wish to investigate this idea you have to be both subtle and careful about it. You do not challenge someone who has all the cards when all you are holding is a 2, does that make any sense?

Observe certainly, document where possible, but beyond all that, learn about psi yourself. Develop your own abilities, for defense.

A.T
(-)

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher
Talk radio?
Cell phone conversations?
encoded military transmissions?

Depends. If it's pattern recognition, then probably not. If it's a matter of picking up what people around you are thinking about, then probably yes for talk radio, but it would be tougher for cell phones or military transmissions because far fewer people are thinking about the same thing at once.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join