Pentagon report to portray China as emerging rival

page: 2
0
<< 1    3 >>

log in

join

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Middle Kingdom
Since when has any nation when given the chance "played fair"?

It's about time the US gets a rival just so that they won't have the ability to make any nation it wants to kowtow to them.


Sure, but your big bad military machine is pointed at smaller countries with a desire to strip their freedoms and democracy away. If your country were democratic and respected the rights of its democratic neighbors, I am sure there wouldn't be nearly as much concern as there is.




posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23

Great that means we can swap "WMD" and "terrorists" to "the chinese are coming!!" as the going excuse for war and carnage.


Only if they Invade Taiwan or start creeping on the US Pacific Fleet, if they don’t do that then we have no problems with them.


Taiwan isn't the only concern here. China claims that the entire South China Sea basin belongs to them as well as virtually the entire East China Sea basin. This creates problems, not only with Taiwan, but with Viet Nam, the Philippines (from whom the ChiComs have already taken territory away from), Malaysia, Indonesia, and Japan.



posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Middle Kingdom
I'm pretty sure Japan has a good all round computer and electronics industry as well, and then theirs India's software industry (which recently is combining with China's hardware) but remember its also a possibility that we simply form a coalition with Japan and other Asian nations. Now isn't there a scary thought for you to consider?


Well, such cooperative efforts with Japan are highly unlikely should China continue its hostile posture toward Japan which has been intensifying since the anti-Japanese riots in China last year when Japan beat China in the final of the Asian Cup (soccer) in Beijing. Now, with the ongoing territorial dispute in the East China Sea, China sending nuclear subs into Japanese and Taiwanese territorial waters, et. al., Japan has been developing a closer and closer relationship with TAIWAN, NOT China.


40 years? In that time we should've competely ecplised you economically, militarilly, socially and diplomatically.
[edit on 30-8-2005 by The Middle Kingdom]

Not likely. China has significant internal hurdles to overcome, not the least of which is natural resources and land resources. China has a large land mass, to be sure, but much of it is not arable, and much arable land is being taken up every year in new industrial developments. Add to that icnreased desertification in the North, and China has a lot of problems to deal with before it truly becomes a global rival to the United States.

I would welcome China in the world of peace-loving states IF they embraced democracy and renounced their illegitimate claims to Taiwan, the South China Sea and the East China Sea.

[edit on 2005/9/9 by ludahai]


la2

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 10:20 PM
link   
The 2005 report, examines China's missile capabilities, noting that china is not just capable of hitting Taiwan but as far as US and Australia. China could de-stablize the entire region.



posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 11:55 AM
link   
We are evolving a Maoist system of government and have been doing so for a while now, slowly intergrating democracy in such a way to create a whole new system of government evolving from the lessons of both Soviet style government and Western Democracies. And Taiwan will join us of its own accord eventually when they see the benefits of returning to the Middle Kingdom.



posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Middle Kingdom
We are evolving a Maoist system of government and have been doing so for a while now, slowly intergrating democracy in such a way to create a whole new system of government evolving from the lessons of both Soviet style government and Western Democracies. And Taiwan will join us of its own accord eventually when they see the benefits of returning to the Middle Kingdom.


Quite frankly, the Taiwanese people don't trust the Chinese government. How can you trust a government that is pointing hundreds of missiles at you. Polls in Taiwan show a large majority don't want "one country - two systems." If you are so confident that the Taiwanese will want to join China of its own accord, why the missiles? Why the threats? Why opposing Taiwan in the international community? All these things do is cause Taiwanese to hate and resent China. Not exactly a recipe for causing a sovereign independent country to want to join you of its own accord.



posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Because, the United States is doing its best for years to keep the split and we're making sure it doesn't split just in case, even if the the majority aren't interested yet, they are also not interested in independence.



posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Middle Kingdom
Because, the United States is doing its best for years to keep the split and we're making sure it doesn't split just in case, even if the the majority aren't interested yet, they are also not interested in independence.


Most Taiwanese already consider Taiwan to be independent. The only reason that there has never been a referendum on it is the obstruction of the KMT (China's fifth column in Taiwan) and continual Chinese threats. If China truly trusted in the will of the Taiwanese people, it would support the right of Taiwan's people to have a referendum and choose for themselves. However, China doesn't really give a d%$m what the Taiwanese people think. Heck, they don't really care what their OWN people think.



posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ludahai
Most Taiwanese already consider Taiwan to be independent. The only reason that there has never been a referendum on it is the obstruction of the KMT (China's fifth column in Taiwan) and continual Chinese threats. If China truly trusted in the will of the Taiwanese people, it would support the right of Taiwan's people to have a referendum and choose for themselves. However, China doesn't really give a d%$m what the Taiwanese people think. Heck, they don't really care what their OWN people think.


47years of Hate of mainlad china through KMT education didn't help. you except taiwanese to have a un-biaed opinion of china

And last i heard 10-15percentage of taiwanese favour independence 10-15 percentage favour uni-fication andthe rest want the status quo


When did china start pointing missles at taiwan? 1996.....................................



posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 10:23 PM
link   


When did china start pointing missles at taiwan? 1996.....................................


Before that it was a group of cannons. The Taiwanese are weary they’ve had a knife at their throat the past 45 years. China is the one with the power over Taiwan they will choose its future. The CCP will either crush Taiwan or Taiwan will join them peacefully there is not third way.



posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by ikillspys

Before that it was a group of cannons.


It wasn't pointed at taiwan proper. it was pointed at the taiwanese controlled island near chinas coast



posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by chinawhite

47years of Hate of mainlad china through KMT education didn't help. you except taiwanese to have a un-biaed opinion of china

And last i heard 10-15percentage of taiwanese favour independence 10-15 percentage favour uni-fication andthe rest want the status quo


But young Taiwanese generally have stronger anti-Chinese sentiments than their parents do. They cite the various things that China has done against Taiwan, including the missile tests in 1996, pointing hundreds of missiles at Taiwan, the lies told by China to the WHO during SARS, etc. How can you expect Taiwanese to want to be friends with a country that does that to this country?


When did china start pointing missles at taiwan? 1996.....................................




posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Also SARS was a joke, really you only had a 98% chance of living thats just a If you want a stronger argument talk about the fact it had 5 warships over in sea of Japan guarding a disputed oilfield which will stay unrecognized by the U.N. If you want a stronger argument talk about the fact it had 5 warships over in sea of Japan guarding a disputed oilfield which will stay unrecognized by the U.N.

.



posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 04:44 AM
link   
spy who are talking to?

can you re-phase your sentence



posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Sorry about that I was aiming for ludahai



posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ikillspys
Also SARS was a joke, really you only had a 98% chance of living thats just a If you want a stronger argument talk about the fact it had 5 warships over in sea of Japan guarding a disputed oilfield which will stay unrecognized by the U.N. If you want a stronger argument talk about the fact it had 5 warships over in sea of Japan guarding a disputed oilfield which will stay unrecognized by the U.N.

.


Can you please reword this so I can understand your point?



posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 08:07 PM
link   
just ignore what I said it was stupid, I really should not anwser posts after a night of drinking



posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Some people here said that they're welcome China's rise of power if China became a democratic state... isn't the USA all about having a different opinion and still being treated equally for it? What makes democracy "right" and China's system of government "wrong"? Your opinion? China's government may have been pretty horrible in the past, and still does a lot of questionable stuff, but USA government haven't exactly been sweethearts. Let those who are without sin cast the first stone...

And what gives USA the right to stick their butt in China's business and tell them what to do? If you think USA trying to "liberate" Taiwan is really just an act of philantrophy and not about economic dominance, think again. I bet USA has agents in Taiwan who spread liberal propaganda to Taiwanese citizens. Taiwan's population may be in support of this, but most of China's much large population wants Taiwan back.



posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Well, what to add to all this info from ATS Members? Not much I suppose except how can China still hold MFN imort status to not just the United States, but Canada as well?

MFN: "Most Favoured Nation"ie the lowest of duty. Yet China despite the dwindling USA/Cda Manufacturing job-rate-loss still go's on.

The best I can figure is there is some sort of under the table agreement between the three Countries though I cannot fathom how and why?

It also seems to me not easily reversible. But here we are, Americans and Canadians suffering from lack of work and paying 5 to 10.00 dollars for a shirt and buying them. Simply because if we made them here in North America we would spend 20-30.00 dollars for the same shirt.

Years ago, once I figured out what was going on I hung "Buy Canadian" posters (8.5"x 11") everywhere I could. It made little if any difference then. People, probably me too, will spend money on the best deal and the best deals are goods produced in China at the moment.

Talk about economics. Families on strict budgets accept the best deals.

Dallas



posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 04:21 AM
link   
even if america drops MFN status for china, what do you expect. manufacturing jobs to come flooding back?

If you take chinas MFN america will also lose its MFN with china.

What does america get out of that. possibily a even larger trade difict because the tariffs on china are no longer there because americans will be buying cheaper goods from elsewhere.

A even larger amount of american jobs lost because of lack of trade with china





new topics
top topics
 
0
<< 1    3 >>

log in

join