It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ethanol

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Considering the current oil crisis" or whatever you call it, I remember back in the 70's that Ethanol was tried as an automotive fuel. I remember buying a tank or two back then. But it never took off to my knowledge. Definitely not available around my parts. Does anyone have more info on why it didn't become a tangible fuel commodity? Maybe it is...I just don't have any info on it

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I think that ethanol failed, along with every other alternative fuel, becuase its simply more expensive than gasoline. Sometimes these alternative fuels can get subsidized, so that the government pays part of the cost for them and thus the price-at-the-pump is lower, but eventually it catches up with everyone.

Gasoline is a cheap, efficient fuel that is in large supply. Thats why everyone uses it.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Here in Cololrado they sell E85 which is a blend of both. The gov regulates the price so it is roughly the same. You can look at the your car's manuel to see if it is E85 complatible.

jhh

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 12:06 PM
link   
There are a few trucks that have an e85 options(about 80% ethanol, 5% natural gas, 15% unleaded), but not many cars. There is a 24 valve taurus that sometimes has a flex fuel option, limited number of 5.3 liter gm engines, and this year the 3.5 l impala and monte carlo are being sold with a flex fuel option.

Biodiesel seems to be taking over in a lot of areas.

[edit on 25-8-2005 by jhh]

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Do you use ethanol blended gas (about 10% ethanol) in the US? It's fairly common in my neck of the woods and our government is aiming for 35% of the fuel used to be this ethanol blend. It seems to work fine in most cars.

jhh

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Yep, a lot of the stations in midwest only offer 10%, it is usually 5 cents cheaper due to tax break.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 12:47 PM
link   
We get a tiny tax break too. You don't even notice it because our price is in litres.

I suppose it is a good way to help out the wheat farmers.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
We just drove back home to Texas from up north and was awe struck at the pump signs for ethanol fuel in Kansas and Nabraska mostly,
How its better for your equipment and the air !! ummm right,.
They call it "ethanol enriched " Hmm,,
Down south our little signs on pumps are small, and read as a warning if its presents .
The fuel in those corn states was also 50 - 70 cents a gl more than in Wyoming or Texas.

sad thing is they have finally tightened up and NON Ethanol fuel is not around in our county any longer..
Cause you know the gov knows whats best for us AND our cars and equipment ,, right?

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Ethanol didn't take off because it sucks. If you know anything about fuel and how it burns you'll realize why motorheads hate it. Gums up carbs, injectors, everything. Plus, the whores who control big oil can now stick their snouts in the monsanto trough with more excuses to rob us. Of course, we're so damned stupid it doesn't require much. Especially since JESUS CONTROLS THE WEATHER! RIGHT???

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Star128

Actually it runs cleaner but don't let the facts get in the way

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikellmikell
reply to post by Star128

Actually it runs cleaner but don't let the facts get in the way

It may run cleaner but your vehicle better be set up for Ethanol use or you will be shopping for a new car/truck before you know it.

I own an 86 GMC and Ethanol will kill it from the inside out real fast, as the poster two posts above stated it jams up your carbs, valves, and whatever else it can ruin.

Not to mention a can of corn now costs more here than a litre of gas in Ontario.........Yeah praise the Ethenol.

Regards, Iwinder
edit on 7-9-2012 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Star128
Ethanol didn't take off because it sucks. If you know anything about fuel and how it burns you'll realize why motorheads hate it.

actually motorheads are starting to embrace ethanol. Engines set up and tuned for e85 will produce more power than petrol/gasoline with forced induction engines making over 10% more hp on corn juice. Motorheads that run e85 are not having the engine issues that many claim will happen when using this fuel and often the only modifications made are bigger fuel pump, injectors and tune to meet the extra volume of fuel required to feed the engine .
edit on 7-9-2012 by oddnutz because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
and tune to meet the extra volume of fuel required to feed the engine,,,,,??

Sooo it does make for less mpg,,??

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by BostonBill99

I can also remember when they added methanol to our fuel, and I had a bunch of friends that were claiming they were coming up with some type of sludge build up in the crank case.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Jeeez guys, don't let the facts stand in the way of big oil's party line. Ok here goes, Ethanol burns ALOT and I mean ALOT cleaner than gas. However its also a very strong solvent, so any buildup in your gas tank now becomes the "gunk" people describe. Set your car up to run on ethanol properly and your fine. Motorheads embracing Ethanol? You could say that. Ethanol has a much higher octane rating than gas, thus you can run alot more boost in a turbo car without detonation. How do you build an normal engine for ethanol? Higher compression and more spark advance. If you are a hot rodder ethanol is like liquid crack, just google "turbo" and "ethanol". Sad big oil is killing it.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
If Ethanol is from corn then how can it be successful if half the country lost their corn crop this year? I don't even know why farmers plant corn here because every cornfield I drive by is always dead.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by BostonBill99

Ethanol failed because it was not sustainable and relied on corn subsidies given to farmer in the US. Ethanol is still viable in nations like Brazil because of sugar cane production and other byproducts even so it helps the increase in food prices.

In the US there is also the issue of feeding corn to livestock, that is not healthy to the animals and to the final consumer. Btw did you know that cows are given orange peals also ? The most sickening thing I have seen is a cow with a hole in the side to access its stomaches, I'm no vegan but I wouldn't touch meat if I liven in the US between feeding GMO foods to the animals the dose of antibiotics and hormones and this sickening methods for fattening the animals, I would be hard pressed to find proper food.

In Brazil the meat production has other problems, social (land ownership battles) and deforestation, but the quality does not compare, ultimately US levels consumption of meat and animal products is not sustainable in the long run, and also not very healthy, moderation and diversity is and always will be saner and better for the environment...

If you haven't look up the documentary Food Inc. and revisit the great movie Soylent Green and look to the reality around you... Especially the condition of the Oceans and the ecosystems...

top topics

join