It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Library that lets you take out people who are left on the shelf

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Just when you think you have read it or seen it all, along comes a new twist.
Now you can borrow people from the library,
Uhm I could do with a maid and cook.

Library that lets you take out people who are left on the shelf

A public library in Holland has been swamped with queries after unveiling plans to "lend out" living people, including homosexuals, drug addicts, asylum seekers, gipsies and the physically handicapped.

The volunteers will be borrowed by users of the library, in Almelo, who can take them to a cafeteria, and ask them any questions they like for up to an hour, in a scheme designed to break down barriers and combat prejudice.

The library's director, Jan Krol, said yesterday he had been deluged with requests from prospective borrowers after his project was reported in the Dutch media.

Almelo, a prosperous town of 72,000 people in the Twente region of east Holland, is not known as a hotbed of Amsterdam-style liberalism.

www.telegraph.co.uk.../news/2005/08/25/wdutch25.xml

[edit on 25/8/2005 by Sauron]

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 11:09 AM
link   

The volunteers will be borrowed by users of the library, in Almelo, who can take them to a cafeteria, and ask them any questions they like for up to an hour, in a scheme designed to break down barriers and combat prejudice

Thats a great idea, really interesting.

Of course, you know that it means that people who have no clue about how the rest of the world lives will meet with these people, and then try to pretend that they are very savy and cosmopolitan.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Ah, a new twist to prostitution. “No I’m not having sex with a prostitute; I only borrowed her as my sexual instructor. She has great knowledge of the subject”

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I'm laughing. No, I really am. While I do respect the attempt that is made here, it borders on ludicrous. I'm not saying that we shouldn't be attempting to diversify our knowledge of our fellow humans, but this is rather humorous.

Still...Nygdan is right.

But I find myself wondering if they've got a Pikey section, and where they'd keep it.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Loki
if they've got a Pikey section, and where they'd keep it.

Locked up no?

Certainly away from the 'bartender and beer brewer' section no?

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 11:30 AM
link   
If they had a brain in their heads, they certainly would.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 11:33 AM
link   
This is a brilliant idea for students, papers, people learning to interview subjects like journalism class.

I could see churches sending kids from Bible school to research the homeless, clergy of other faith, lots of things. This is cool.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I have knowledge of NO things great and small, I was wondering if anyone would like to borrow me, for say on hour or so. If you buy me a cafe latte I shall show and tell you how a wonderful specimen of lassitude lives!
I will need a plane ticket as well if you live off the big island!

[edit on 25-8-2005 by 12 12 2012]

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 03:43 PM
link   
What, no takers to the offer mentioned above...? :shk:

join