It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia nails it: “Don't like it? Clear off, mate.”

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Are you a Muslim and want to live in Australia? No problem, they will welcome you with open arms….So long as you live by Australian law and values and denounce terrorism. ALL SCHOOLS, including Islamic schools, are required to denounce terrorism and teach Australian values. If that’s not OK, then clear off mate!!

GO AUSSIES!!

Clearly, Aussies don't have a CAIR. (Cheesy pun intended.) Federal Education Minister Brendan Nelson actually said that Muslims in Australia who don't want to accept local values should leave the country.

He says that:

Muslim schools should denounce terror

ALL Australian schools are required to teach the national values framework, including tolerance, responsibility and understanding, to students. (Excellent - I like how he doesn't leave a loophole for anybody to restrict that teaching to, say, the custodial staff.)

he will meet with the Australian Federation of Islamic Councils to discuss programs that ensure students understand Australia's history, culture and values

"We believe in giving every person a fair go, we don't care where people come from, we don't mind what religion they've got," Dr Nelson said.
"But what we want them to do is commit to the Australian constitution, Australian rule of law and basically, people who don't want to be Australians, and they don't want to live by Australian values and understand them, well then they can basically clear off."

Good on ya, Brendan Nelson!

Britain and Australia are doing it right. If you want to be part of their nations, you need to embrace its values and denounce terrorism, no matter what your heritage is. Otherwise go home, they don’t want you.

[edit on 25-8-2005 by skippytjc]

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 07:51 AM
link   
More on this:
news.yahoo.com...

A day after a group of mainstream Muslim leaders pledged loyalty to Australia at a special meeting with Prime Minister John Howard, he and his ministers made it clear that extremists would face a crackdown.

Treasurer Peter Costello, seen as heir apparent to Howard, hinted that some radical clerics could be asked to leave the country if they did not accept that Australia was a secular state and its laws were made by parliament.

"If those are not your values, if you want a country which has Sharia law or a theocratic state, then Australia is not for you," he said on national television...

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 08:18 AM
link   
yes it is a good thing
should extend to any one pushing there religion on people and trying to make you live a certain way, feeling ashamed if you dont.
im talking about the people the come to your house and try to get you to covert, and the christians in the street that ridicule you when you say that you arnt interested in god and such,

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Related thread:

Pope singles out 'faithless' Australia

Keep thy religion to thy self. That goes for all of them.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I applaude the UK and Australia for taking this action.

The US should do the same thing, not only for Muslims but for anyone who preaches terrorism or violence against the US. You like and preach the killings of US citizens? Then enjoy your stay in Canada.

[edit on 25-8-2005 by WestPoint23]

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 09:47 AM
link   
There is another thread about this very same topic where I have expressed my opinions. I applaud the Aussie's and I am glad to finally
see someone have the gonads to put all this PC crap to bed. Leave it to
those that live 'Down Unda.' No worries! G 'day mates.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 10:07 AM
link   
AGREE TOTALLY.
EITHER YOU BECOME PART OF THE COMMUNITY OR LEAVE
I'm sick of little chinas and the like, It doesnt matter where you come from everyone is WELCOME BUT..........

You come to AUS then MIX IN WITH EVERYONE ELSE.

[edit on 25-8-2005 by asala]

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 12:36 PM
link   
We should have been doing this years ago...

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by GEORGE
We should have been doing this years ago...

Yup, at the very least on 9/10/2001....

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Why the stupid "Dummocrats" link? Why didnt you just link to the full article in the first place?

www.theaustralian.news.com.au... 5744,16367866%255E1702,00.html

Are you trying to be provocative?

[edit on 25-8-2005 by cargo]

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I have to agree. If i was to visit Saudi or another Middle Eastern Country i would respect their way of life and values and cultures. So people should do the same when visiting Europe, western countries etc. It's all very well them expecting us to conform to their coiuntrys rules, which i s faie enough, but it is wrong for them to dicatate or overtake the values of another !

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 06:38 PM
link   
america should do the same...

there can never be peace with freedom...

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I applaude the UK and the Aussies!

The US should follow in their footsteps.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Man! I love this kind of TOUGH TALK! YA! Makes me Giggly that we can all log onto the internet, come to this website and stand together against a common enemy! Man! I love it...makes me want to go out and kick a plant or something...I mean something soft and vulnerable.

Because we've got it! We have a new enemy...MUSLIMS! YA! You don't like it Muslims, well thats tough crap...you can leave! Hear me? Leave!

Ya. God this feels good doesn't it. All of us here at ATS standing arm in arm with each other pointing at the different one. The weird one! YA! Damn, I feel like a huge man!

And they're right. Nobody should be able to go into another's place and force their values...like that time America invaded Iraq to "democracize" it!
Thats the kind of stuff we're talking about right?
Like when America went into Vietnam to keep those people from choosing communism as their form of government...right? This is what we're talking about, right?
It doesn't matter...the details don't matter as SOMEONE STOOD TALL AND TALKED TOUGH and you guys came in here and stood tall with them...and I'm so JACKED UP about it I think we should all clap each other and celebrate...ya... Doesn't matter...nothing matters...details don't matter...individual rights don't matter...rational thought doesn't matter...we've got rightousness...we've got God on our side...and we've got each other backing us up...telling us what to think and making sure we don't do anything like broaden our perspective..........ever

sorry guys...some pansy-waist came in took over my keyboard for a minute, but I got it away from him and used it to kill him. YA! nobody will miss him...and now we can get back to celebrating groupthink

say yes for groupthink -
- all together now
say YES for groupthink -
- all together now
say YES for groupthink -
- all together now

There is no friend anywhere - Lao Tse

[edit on 26-8-2005 by asala]

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 11:05 PM
link   
so, what, Voice of Doom, you think we should let terrorists and those that abet them do as they please?

I am glad Australia has stepped up to the plate like this. Hopefully the U.S. will follow their example.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 11:19 PM
link   
this wouldn't work on sleeper cell terrorists, ones who plot privately before making a strike, or so that's how i thought it worked. how many of them actually preach about it in the streets of a "democratic" society like australia anyways? none, because they'd get their asses handed to them.

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Considering Australia is a multi-cultural society and always has been, infact it's always been promoted as such until Howard and Bush started their terror campaign, you have to be very careful as to what you say. Theres no such thing as being 'Aussie' really. The only true Australian's are the aboriginal communities who actually have roots that are deeper than a little over 200 years when the British bumped into the land.

Yes, anyone who wants to live in Australia should denounce terrorism and respect Australian law but they should never have to give up their culture and 'become one of us'.

Islamic culture can be just as worthy as any other culture in a mixed society, only when they want their own law system and refuse to acknowledge the one in which the country is run under does it cross the line.

So saying 'Don't like it? Clear off' isn't helping anything at all. It's actually going to insight more violence from the single cell brains in this country which take that message as a sign of legitimate racial predjudice sponsered by the government.

Thou, the Australian government has been 'warning' us of a pending attack anytime now and with Melbourne hosting the commonwealth games in 2006, i'm sure there needs to be a good year worth of threats and propaganda before the intel community blow up something in Sydney or Canberra to justify their threats and having their foot stuck up Bush's ass, dragging them around the Middle East.

There's no better way to create the illusion of a threat than to subtly encourage prejudice so there's a good cloud of hate and confusion when it comes time for something to go bang and a suspect is needed.

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 12:51 AM
link   
The Howard government has been very strict on "illegal" immigrantion and it gets a lot of flak from people because of the way it handles it. This is probably just a way to paint immigrants as dangerous so it can continue to deport people but now they will probably use security as a reason. I almost fell for their scare tactics, until i remembered that one of my good friends from school who had Saudi parents is a lot less judgmental of what people do than many of the christians i know. A lot of my friends from primary school who had christian parents looked down on me when i started drinking and having sex before marriage in high school. While the guy who had muslim parents continued to be my friend and shared more bottles of jim beam with me than i can count (his parents didn't mind either, afterall it was his choice not theirs and where actually a lot cooler than my parents about stuff).

Now I'm not saying that all christian or muslims are like the ones I personally have met because there are extremists in both religions and people that force their religion on their children in both. What I'm trying to say is, while on the surface this does sound like a good idea I'm worried that there are hidden religious agendas behind this and these agendas are not muslim ones but christian. I mean we have christian nutcases trying to push intelligent design into our secular schooling system so I think we have to be more cautious of the christian extremists at this point in time. The media is always trying to paint muslims as being overly judgmental and a danger to society. This is IMO more dangerous than any terrorist threat we face because these people actually do have the power via the media to influence people to give up their freedoms and ideals. Afterall hundreds of thousands of Australians have died in wars to keep the country free and now we have lost a few hundred in terrorist attacks around the world we are getting to the point where we give up on our ideals? That doesn't seem right to me. Don't give into fear.

[edit on 26-8-2005 by Sabre262]

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 01:29 AM
link   
It's great that we can target certain groups and say, "this is what our society isn't, we wan't them out." I'll be more impressed, and feel a lot safer, when my society can agree on what it wants in.

-koji K.

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I have lived on OZ for 26 and what makes this place great most people are not really that religious. I dont care what religion you are keep it to your self and NEVER PUSH ON OTHERS, This is what makes us great.

top topics

join