It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope Benedict XVI and Freemasonry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Pope Benedict, formerly known as Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger, wrote the
Declaration on Masonic Associations

www.vatican.va...

This declaration was approved by the Pope at that time, John Paul II. It is forseeable that there will be no progress between the Catholic church and freemasonry especially with this new Pope.

I would be interested in any articles or statements by Pope Bendict XVI on Freemasonry if anyone can find such articles. I'll be keeping my ears and eyes open to see what his statements will be in the near future.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 10:09 AM
link   

The faithful who enrol in Masonic associations are in a state of grave sin and may not receive Holy Communion.

Heck, and Ratzinger isn't the staunch anti-mason either! Cardinal Bifi was the one that was seen as such during the election process!

This document indicates that the problem stems (in the academic/theological side anyway) from the 'errors of modern liberalism', and I have seen other things that allege that the issue is that Freemasonry is secular. Seems silly tho, to say secularism is a grave sin. Obviously there is a lot of politics involved here.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I was told by a Catholic that they were no longer at odds. I was incorrect. In 2003 the Archbishops in the Phillipines threatened excommunication if a Catholic remained a Freemason.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Gee - now that is a surprise...NOT!
Most, if not ALL formal religeous bodies agree that:

"Therefore the Church’s negative judgment in regard to Masonic association remains unchanged since their principles have always been considered irreconcilable with the doctrine of the Church and therefore membership in them remains forbidden. The faithful who enrol in Masonic associations are in a state of grave sin and may not receive Holy Communion. "

Yep, even as a card carrying athiest I'd say he's got this one right.
Top marks to his Holiness.

So Catholics can't become Freemasons then - glad we have this one sorted out at last.

[edit on 28-8-2005 by MrNECROS]

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 11:07 PM
link   
A Brother from my lodge was involved as an alderman at the local Catholic Church. There has been times when he caught grief for his affiliation, but that was only when the priest retired (transferred) and a new more traditional priest came in. This to passed. I guess it depends on the parish and the individuals in some cases.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 11:13 PM
link   

The faithful who enrol in Masonic associations are in a state of grave sin and may not receive Holy Communion.

Sin
I am a Catholic and from what I have learned about FreeMasonry I haven't learned anything that would imply a sin or for that matter a grave sin. I wish they would give reason behind their judgement.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Final

Sin
I am a Catholic and from what I have learned about FreeMasonry I haven't learned anything that would imply a sin or for that matter a grave sin. I wish they would give reason behind their judgement.

Because Freemasonry leaves it to the man himself to decide his own faith, and they put no one faith "over" another... So the Church sees that as bringing Christianity down to the level of "false religions" or vice versa.

Freemasons practice religious tolerance, and that is where the principles of Freemasonry and the Catholic religion is diametrically opposed (according to the Church.).

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Axeman
Freemasons practice religious tolerance, and that is where the principles of Freemasonry and the Catholic religion is diametrically opposed (according to the Church.).

That seems really bad, but then agian it is the Catholic church....now they are saying Rock music is a sin
Its ok though when I come of age I will decided then whether I would like to be a FreeMason or not. Whats the age like 21 or something?

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrNECROS
Yep, even as a card carrying athiest I'd say he's got this one right.

What do you mean that he 'got it right'? He simply said that nothings changed. The segement under consideration doesn't explain the rationale for why freemasonry is a problem in the first place, merely that nothing has changed merely because there is a new pope. And the catholic website New Advent seems to merely say that the problem with Freemasonry is that it is secular and liberal. Is that your complaint against it?

The Final
I am a Catholic and from what I have learned about FreeMasonry I haven't learned anything that would imply a sin or for that matter a grave sin

From what I understand, masonry is at best an 'error', along with liberalism (in teh historical sense, not american liberalism). In addition to this, the church has condemmed it. Because its condemed by the church and admission is not permited, then people who do come into freemasonry are in a state of sin because they are doing that which is forbiden by the church.

I wish they would give reason behind their judgement

They forbid it, therefore by joining you are disobeying the church.

Freemasons practice religious tolerance, and that is where the principles of Freemasonry and the Catholic religion is diametrically opposed

I don't think I'd quite put it that way tho. The church is part of the ecumenical movement, it recognizes that there are other paths to salvation. It also recognizes that the See of St. Peter is something that all christians have to obey, in addition to god, or rather, specifically because of god. So being in discord with the church is what is sinful here. A freemason, in a sense, is sinning the same sin that all protestants commit, disobeying the rightful church, in their opinion. Its not the tolerance, secularism, and liberalism itself that is a problem, technically. Thereby americans can be americans but still be in accord, for example, but masonry has been specifically earmarked as being forbiden.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
If you want a real conspiracy go back to the live video on the news (try CNN) when the new 'Pope' was announced and look at the smoke that came out. It was black. They announced that there was a new pope, but black smoke came up. Black smoke means the ballot failed. Obviously something was up. Can't wait to say 'I told you so' to people that think this is made up.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   
The reasons for the incompatibility of Catholicism and Freemasonry were spelled out in the encyclical Humanum Genus

Candidates are generally commanded to promise -- nay, with a special oath, to swear -- that they will never, to any person, at any time or in any way, make known the members, the passes, or the subjects discussed. Thus, with a fraudulent external appearance, and with a style of simulation which is always the same, the Freemasons, like the Manichees of old, strive, as far as possible, to conceal themselves, and to admit no witnesses but their own members. As a convenient manner of concealment, they assume the character of literary men and scholars associated for purposes of learning. They speak of their zeal for a more cultured refinement, and of their love for the poor; and they declare their one wish to be the amelioration of the condition of the masses, and to share with the largest possible number all the benefits of civil life. Were these purposes aimed at in real truth, they are by no means the whole of their object. Moreover, to be enrolled, it is necessary that the candidates promise and undertake to be thenceforward strictly obedient to their leaders and masters with the utmost submission and fidelity, and to be in readiness to do their bidding upon the slightest expression of their will; or, if disobedient, to submit to the direst penalties and death itself. As a fact, if any are judged to have betrayed the doings of the sect or to have resisted commands given, punishment is inflicted on them not infrequently, and with so much audacity and dexterity that the assassin very often escapes the detection and penalty of his crime.

10. But to simulate and wish to lie hid; to bind men like slaves in the very tightest bonds, and without giving any sufficient reason; to make use of men enslaved to the will of another for any arbitrary act; to arm men's right hands for bloodshed after securing impunity for the crime -- all this is an enormity from which nature recoils. Wherefore, reason and truth itself make it plain that the society of which we are speaking is in antagonism with justice and natural uprightness. And this becomes still plainer, inasmuch as other arguments, also, and those very manifest, prove that it is essentially opposed to natural virtue. For, no matter how great may be men's cleverness in concealing and their experience in Iying, it is impossible to prevent the effects of any cause from showing, in some way, the intrinsic nature of the cause whence they come. "A good tree cannot produce bad fruit, nor a bad tree produce good fruit."[12] Now, the masonic sect produces fruits that are pernicious and of the bitterest savor. For, from what We have above most clearly shown, that which is their ultimate purpose forces itself into view -- namely, the utter overthrow of that whole religious and political order of the world which the Christian teaching has produced, and the substitution of a new state of things in accordance with their ideas, of which the foundations and laws shall be drawn from mere naturalism.

That's just a small sample. Read the whole encyclical to get the whole story.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by The_Final

My guess is that we allow all religions into our organization and use broad general references to the Deity. And since we have men of all faiths in the Craft we don't follow the Apostolic line and that is where the problem stems, my guess only.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem

The reasons for the incompatibility of Catholicism and Freemasonry were spelled out in the encyclical Humanum Genus

Perhaps, to show both sides, it is also important to become familiar with a response from Freemasonry to the encyclical Humanum Genus. This response was written by Brother Albert Pike, who at the time the papal encyclical was issued, was serving as Sovereign Grand Commander of the Supreme Council 33°, Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite of Freemasonry for the Southern Jurisdiction of the United States.

It was delivered by Pike in a speech to the Supreme Council in October 1884.

A Response To Humanum Genus In Behalf of Mankind

[edit on 22-12-2009 by Masonic Light]

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
When Christ returns all will be subject to his will whether they accept it thereof or not. Those who retain their pride and not give their devotion to his word will face the damnation of their own making. Any good Templar would gladly give their oaths unto him who gave his life for them. Sadly those who cling to their power will only retain that which they desire and remain incomplete as everyone else grows in the power of christ's holy spirit. Does the old story, "Death of a Salesman," ring a bell, Hells Bells? Sacrifices be made for relationships to survive; thus, those who cannot let go of their pride will watch it go before them as Christ raises his beloved church.

top topics

join