It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NBC Blocked by Aruban Court from Airing Video of Van der Sloot

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 12:27 AM
link   
An MSNBC correspondent was invited into an Aruban jail for an interview with the jail staff, and was quite surprised when they took them on a tour of the facility and even gave them permission to film Joran van der Sloot, the prime suspect in the Natalee Holloway missing persons case. In a late-night emergency ruling a court blocked NBC from airing the video promising a 1 million guilder fine for each airing if they violate the order. NBC is currently abiding by the order and not airing the video, but still investigating all its legal options.

I think this case may go all the way to the Hague in the Netherlands. Freedom of the press means NBC should be able to air this since they acted in a completely legal way in obtaining it, even if the prison guards acted in a completely irresponsible and perhaps illegal way in allowing it to be filmed.

I'm certainly not an expert in Dutch law, but if this happened in the U.S., the press couldn't be prevented from showing this video -- only the prison staff could be punished for allowing it to happen.

I think this case could end up setting a landmark precedent for press freedom in the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

new topics

join