It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Aviation Contractor

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Wondering what everyone thinks here...What is the best/most innovative military aviation contractor today? ie Lockheed Martin, Boeing, Grumman Northrop, more.

I'd have to go with the Skunkworks division of Lockheed Martin...always innovtive with designs...F-117...F/A 22...SR - 71....U2...the fabled aurora project. Always finding ways to stretch aviation to its limits.

BlueAngel

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Lockheed Martin and the old McDonnels Douglas...
They are the best...

BTW, welcome here...

[edit on 24-8-2005 by Figher Master FIN]

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I would have to say that today it's between Nothrop Grumman and Lockheed! beteen the two of them they have design and built most of the cutting edge technology that has made the US a Super Power:

Northrop Grumman: B-2, TR-3 Black Manta, F-14, Design the F/A-18 (origionally the YF-17), E-8 JSTARS, Global Hawk, Preditor, MX

Lockheed: U-2, A-12/SR-71 Blackbird, F-117, F-22, F-35,

Most of the advanced technology we have was built by one of these two companies. I think Northrop is often underestimated because you don't hear about what they work on. Lockheed publisices more of it's cutting edge work, so you hear more about it.

Tim

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Lockheed: U-2, A-12/SR-71 Blackbird, F-117, F-22, F-35,

You cannot leave out the F-16!

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I'm a lockheed guy.

I mean come on, just look at the stuff they have made:

U-2...First high altitude spy plane
SR-71...Built almost 50 years ago and it is STILL the fastest manned aircraft
F-117...First aircraft built around radar stealth
F-16...Best light aircraft ever built
F/A-22...First air to air fighter with all aspect stealth; Also combines supercruise and TVC

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Design the F/A-18 and the E-8 JSTARS are brought to you by the same friendly folks who make the F-15, C-17, and the International Space Station.

And it's neither Lockmart nor Northrop Grumman, thank you very much!

But I do agree that Lockmart has some of the most advanced toys out there, although they seem to be getting into deep doo-doo with their reconnaissance plane, bidding teh Embraer (and winning the contract) when they knew it wouldn't be large enough to handle the job.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Ok, and when those planes go down, who builds the air-'chines that go and pick them up?

Can we say Igor?

www.sikorsky.com...

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 01:20 PM
link   
1) lockheed martin
2) northrop grunman
3) dassault

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by ludo182
1) lockheed martin
2) northrop grunman
3) dassault

I'd definatley put McDonnell Douglass/Boeing ahead of Dassault.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 01:46 PM
link   
1: Lockheed Martin Skunkworks (trying to get a job in Lockheed :up

2: Boeing
3: McDonnel-Douglas
4: Mikoyan-Gurevich (MiG's look freaking cool!)
5: Airbus (I hate to say it, but they're good)

Aliens, if existant, are at spot "0"

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Wow, I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet... Scaled Composites.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Bell Aircraft?? Chuck Yeager and the firist supersonic jet...a forfront of Aviation Advancement. Eventhough they now only bulid helicoptors...its still quite the acheivement.

BlueAngel

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Sukhoi

or Mikoyan-Gurevich

although SAAB are very good for what little money they have , they have alot of talent

Lockmart make some fun stuff though

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Well as a Boeing employee (formerly McDonnell Douglas) I need to say two things:

McDonnell Douglas (plus Highes Helicopters and North American Aviation) is now part of Boeing.

And I agree with Keen. Bert Rutan is the greatest living aircraft designer (certainly the equal of Clarence Kelley, Glenn Martin, and Dutch Kindelberger), and Scaled Composites designs the best aircraft around.

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Well it seems that Lockheed Martin Palmdale is way ahead of the rest. A curious fact is that they had very little to do with the F-22. It was designed in Marietta, GA.

And about the designers, 'Kelly' Johnson seems to be the champ. I would also add Jack Northrop. He was way ahead of his time.

[edit on 26-8-2005 by iris_failsafe]

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Off_The_Street
Design the F/A-18 and the E-8 JSTARS are brought to you by the same friendly folks who make the F-15, C-17, and the International Space Station.

And it's neither Lockmart nor Northrop Grumman, thank you very much!

Have you ever heard of the Northrop YF-17 Cobra? It competed with the F-16 for the Air Force Light-Weight Fighter compatition! The YF-17 Prototypes were rebuilt to Make the F/A-18. McDonald Douglas Built the F/A-18 but the design was created at Northrop! Here some links to prove my point:

YF-17\F/A-18 Connetion
History of the F/A-18

Northrop/McDonald Douglas F-18

No Offense, but I really think you should read up on the history of the F/A-18 Hornet! Please get you facts straight! We'll continue this later.

Tim

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darkpr0
1: Lockheed Martin Skunkworks (trying to get a job in Lockheed :up

2: Boeing
3: McDonnel-Douglas
4: Mikoyan-Gurevich (MiG's look freaking cool!)
5: Airbus (I hate to say it, but they're good)

Aliens, if existant, are at spot "0"

Strange, you didn't include Northrop, you took Northrop out and put a civilian contractor in there. What's all of this about?

Alright do this, put Boeing below Northrop which goes in spot 2, and move everything down, other than that, it's good the list.

Remember Northrop did build what is known as the most capable aircraft bomber, the B-2.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Today, it's definitely Northrop. Their designs are most inovative (not only the planes but also ships - see their trimaran). MDD was the best in past.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 08:39 AM
link   
As of right now I have to go with Lockheed Martin followed very closely by Northrop Grumman. These two have turned out some of the most amazing aircraft.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Off_The_Street

And I agree with Keen. Bert Rutan is the greatest living aircraft designer (certainly the equal of Clarence Kelley, Glenn Martin, and Dutch Kindelberger), and Scaled Composites designs the best aircraft around.

Who is Clarence Kelly?

Did you mean Clarence L. Johnson, who was better known by his nickname of Kelly Johnson?

Here's Kelly!
He is the genious who design the A-12 and SR-71 Blackbird Spy Planes.

Tim

top topics

<<   2 >>

join