It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There is no such thing as Athiest

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr conspiracy
How can anyone claim that they KNOW there is NO god ?

I guess the same way someone can claim they KNOW there is NO athiest...

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Anyway, I dont get what this thread is about.

Atheists are people who dont believe in gods or a god. There are many of them. Im one
Now, I'd just like to say this....There is no God. A storyteller made it up 2000 years ago and you all want to believe it because your afraid of death or life and you feel better believing/hopeing that someone is watching over you. Life was not created by a 'god'. Life occured after a series of incidents at the creation of the universe (Something to do with gasses expanding) and over millions of year evolved through Natures trial and error. Just freakin' accept it!

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spreadthetruth
The idea of God has been around since humans existed.

Even if that's true, so what? Does a human proclivity to believe in gods prove they actually exist, or does it merely demonstrate that such concepts have (or more likely, had) survival/reproductive benefit?

The stars tell us what time of year it is. That's critical information for a lot of species, including humans. Making up stories about the stars by anthropomorphizing them would make it easy to remember what the positions of the stars mean regarding the time of year.

Humans are not the only species to use the stars to determine seasons. Bees, frogs, and toads do the same thing, demonstrating that such behavior and recognition of star patterns is probably instinctive.

The usefullness of using stars to determine seasons, combined with the tribal nature of humans, is all that is needed to understand why belief in gods is so universal across the species.

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 04:41 PM
link   

How can anyone claim that they KNOW there is NO god ?

How can anyone claim that they KNOW anything?

As was already said, Atheists don't know that there is no God (although they may falsely proclaim they do), but they do believe it.

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 04:46 PM
link   

There is no such thing as Athiest

Athiest do not necessarily believe there is no God. Most definitions of Athiest seem to offer the term means to not beleive in any higher being.

If there is no such thing as an athiest, then that would mean that God worships or holds reverence for a higher being.

I don't believe the God of the Bible would break the first commandment, therefore:

GOD will be the only athiest.

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher
If there is no such thing as an athiest, then that would mean that God worships or holds reverence for a higher being.

...or it means god uses a different definition of "god" than you do.

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Another Atheist here.

I would hope that as Humanity grows and matures we finally shed the last superstitions
that has plauged our species for millenia but I'm not too hopefully of that every happening for
Humanity as Atheists don't believe in making promises that may or may not be true(If you're
good you go to heaven and if your bad you'll burn in hell) so I doubt Atheism will ever achieve the
status of a virulent meme, religion is there to help people think and people like that allot as our
modern day culture so "elegently" shows.

[edit on 9-11-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   
If "atheists" only get past the suspicions they have about deists, and use the head a little more, they would soon admit that at best they are indeed agnostics.

at worst they are lost.

[edit on 15-11-2005 by mr conspiracy]

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   

If "atheists" only get past the suspicions they have about deists, and use the head a little more, they would soon admit that at best they are indeed agnostics.

You can be both. An atheist doesn't believe in gods. An agnostic doesn't believe it is possible to know whether or not there are gods. You could believe it is not possible to know, while simultaneously not believing in gods. Agnostics who treat belief in gods like they do belief in anything else, are also atheists. The default position for any unprovable claim is 'false'.

Of course, this all presumes we know what 'god' means. If the definition of "god" is inconsistent, then it is possible to know such beings do not exist.

at worst they are lost.

There're a boatload of assumptions buried in such a statement.

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by spamandham

at worst they are lost.

There're a boatload of assumptions buried in such a statement.

Or they know where they are, and another can't recognize where they are.

Or they think they know where they are, and someone closer to the destination thinks they know they are heading down a dead end.

Or ....

There are many ways to decern what was meant by the statement, but the true intent may change from moment to moment, even after it is written and said.

high and sight is relative. Eye of the beholder, and all that.

[edit on 15-11-2005 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Atomix
Life was not created by a 'god'. Life occured after a series of incidents at the creation of the universe (Something to do with gasses expanding) and over millions of year evolved through Natures trial and error. Just freakin' accept it!

Why should we accept a theory about "Something to do with gasses expanding"?

I doubt very, very much that us tiny ignorant humans have come up with anything close to the ultimate answere to the creation of the universe and life as we know it.

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 01:25 PM
link   

I doubt very, very much that us tiny ignorant humans have come up with anything close to the ultimate answere to the creation of the universe and life as we know it.

I see you are an a42ist.

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Maybe. But the Big Bang theory is far more credible than creation by divine being(s). Their are facts that support the Big Bang, but what do you have to support the idea of a God? A Bedtime story written 2000 years ago?

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by BaastetNoir
" If there is a God, why doesn't he do this..."

" If God exhists, why did he let this happen ..."

I think a survivor of last years Beslan school siege answered those types of question rather well.

She said:

"I think god only took those whjo were good. The bad ones he let survive for another chance".

That was the gist of it at least

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by apex
I think a survivor of last years Beslan school siege answered those types of question rather well.

She said:

"I think god only took those whjo were good. The bad ones he let survive for another chance".

That was the gist of it at least

:shk:
I guess all the 'bad' remaining children will have to give up devil worshiping now they've got another chance of being saved.. that and they'll get another chance to get on santa's 'nice' list.

So are all the crack babies that escape death inherently evil and just waiting for a second chance? What about the ones that die.. inherently good yes? Hang on.. what if they haven't been baptised?!
Thats right.. if they haven't been clensed of original sin they'll survive because god would want them to give them another chance to stop being bad. Yep. Makes sense to me.

I know you probably didn't mean it in this context but I have heared similar sentiments before.. usually the other way around where death or anguish is considered punnishment for sin. Faithful and non faithful alike have the same amount of good or bad luck.

[edit on 16-11-2005 by riley]

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Old thread, but I just thought I should make something clear. Human beings need hope its natural, but when you take that away they form something else and that word is atheism.

Me - I'm agnostic.

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by riley
Now.. if anyone genuinely want to know.. the reason many atheists are atheists is because they find belief in god illogical [and needless]. The universe is quite capable of existing without some old guy in the sky waving a finger to create a universe he depends on to exist in the first place.. personally I find the idea fanciful.

Before answering the above, I have to say I think this whole thread is pretty stupid. The OP is redefining the word "atheist" to mean something he can easily refute. An atheist is someone who disbelieves in God -- as the atheist himself defines that word -- not someone who claims to know, beyond any doubt, let alone be able to prove, that his belief is right.

That said . . .

Riley, "some old guy in the sky waving a finger to create a universe" is your own definition of the word "God." And you are quite right; we do not require that hypothesis. But please do acknowledge that the sum of the world's religious conceptions and traditions encompass rather more than that phrase does!

I often run into this with atheists: that they have an idea in their head of what "God" would be if he/she/it did exist, and when they deny the existence of "God," they are really denying the existence of that. And the idea they have of "God" is so silly and so shallow and so preposterous, who could possibly disagree?

But what religious people actually believe in, deep down, is the validity of their own spiritual experiences. Theology or religious doctrine is only a theory they use to explain those experiences. Given the subject matter, it's inevitable that all such theories will be flawed. The cosmos in its entirety (which is really what it's all about), and the self as a microcosm of that larger Being, is something too vast to fit under anyone's hat. Flaws in the theory explaining spiritual experiences, however, do not, when exposed, invalidate the experiences themselves, which are still pointing towards something beyond the human intellect to encompass, outside the domain of science, and requiring intellectual humility (as well as other kinds).

As for the person who posted that atheists don't even concern themselves with the question of God: probably there are many who don't. But they don't call themselves atheists, as that would be pointless.

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Atomix

Maybe. But the Big Bang theory is far more credible than creation by divine being(s). Their are facts that support the Big Bang, but what do you have to support the idea of a God? A Bedtime story written 2000 years ago?

first off as the name says" big bang THEORY" it is a theory ..just like the existence of god is a theory.........something had to start the thing rollin right in order to make the big bang right???.... as far as the bible being a bed time story ..theres no way i would read this book to my son......well maybe some parts of the storyies..as the bible has some wonderful stories
in it..

now onto the topic of athiest..if someone wants to choose not to believe in a higher power then so be it...i believe that higher power gave us freewill and who am i to denie them of that......but i can see where there coming from..i too had struggled with the thought of god ...read the bible and some other religious text but nothing seemed to answer to me......then i started reading some vedic literature...the rig veda, the upinshads9spelling), and of course the beloved bhavadga gita......these books opend a whole other side of religion for me.......the vedics seem to know alot more about the universe as a whole and how it fits into our lives........alot of good explaination , alot more then just I AM GOD OBEY ME..
they seem to be able to give explainations for even the most minute subject almost like they were spiritual scientists...now im shure your all shrugging and saying whatever.....but before you judge veda in snskrit means wisdom....

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by plague
now onto the topic of athiest..if someone wants to choose not to believe in a higher power then so be it...

We don't choose what we will believe or disbelieve. I can choose what I will allow myself to consider to some degree, but the beliefs/disbeliefs I hold are generated in the subconscious independent of will.

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Uh...

How can some people KNOW, in their hearts, that God exists, but people can't KNOW, in their hearts, that God doesn't exist?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join