It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humans Thrive on Misery?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I have started to give serious consideration to the idea that humans thrive on misery, destruction, and chaos. Shows like Brat Camp show kids that were totally bad completely break down and blah blah blah. Whenever my mom or someone watches a car race on NASCAR or something, if there are few crashes they say the race was "boring". For precise example, they ALWAYS watch the Bristol races because crashes are common and massive. They rarely if ever watch Las Vegas races because there are few crashes. These are just a few examples in a sea of them that have led me to believe that humans are innately.... Well... Dependant on seeing other people screw up, be inferior, be sad, or whatever just to make themselves feel superior.

Anyone else feel like this?

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I know what you mean. I was watching one of the "Lord of The Rings" movies in the theatres and there was a battle going on, and all of a sudden I thought to myself "This is so pointless... why is this entertaining?" etc. From that day on, not even Matrix fight scenes have been able to excite me. I think it is some very animalistic thing that you outgrow as you develop into a "better person".

On the other side of things, being the misery instead of watching for entertainment, I am constantly telling my friends that they are over-reacting to situations, etc, and purposefully launching themselves into misery. It is like they purposefully put themselves in situations that will anger them, sadden them, etc. I try to show them to control their emotions, not let their emotions control the, but it is just a useless effort it seems.

Life just seems to be all about pain and suffering, it seems.

new topics

join