It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

B-1B Lancers Receive Weapons Upgrades

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 03:33 PM
link   

The 337th Test and Evaluation Squadron at Dyess Air Force Base has been working with the USA's B-1B Lancer heavy bomber to upgrade their weapons carrying abilities. The results will increase the non-stealth bomber's ability to deliver weapons into heavily defended areas, and enhance its value as a maritime strike aircraft as well.

JASSM with F-16On July 25/05 two Lancers from Dyess auto-released a Joint Air-to-Surface Standoff Missile over the White Sands Missile Range, NM, as well as firing three dissimilar weapons from the same launcher. The AGM-158 JASSM missile is part of the B-1 Joint Standoff Weapon/ JASSM Integration (JJI) program, an extension of the B-1B's Block E system upgrades and one part of the overall B-1B conventional mission upgrade program.

Following these tests, the 7th Bomb Wing became the first unit to achieve initial operational capability of the new JASSM cruise missile as of Aug. 18/05. This means that the missile is now able to be used in combat operations.

The JASSM was designed to fly up to 200 miles into highly defended airspace as an independent cruise missile, in order to reduce the risks of attacking high-value fixed targets without forcing the USAF to use more expensive missiles like the AGM-68C/D CALCM, whose 600+ mile range and complex self-guiding systems may be overkill.

The AGM-158A JASSM has a stealth-enhanced design, and is powered by a Teledyne CAE J402 turbojet. It uses flip-out wings with control surfaces and a single vertical tail for flight control, is guided by a jamming-resistant GPS-aided inertial navigation system, and uses an IIR (Imaging Infrared) seeker for final stage target selection and homing. The missile is armed with a 450 kg (1000 lb) penetrating warhead, and accuracy is quoted as around 2.4 m (8 ft) CEP. The AGM-158A is also equipped with a data link to transmit status and location information until impact to assist bomb damage assessment.

In addition to carrying one JASSM each, both B-1B Lancers used in the White Sands demonstration carried 28 MK-82 500-pound free-fall, general purpose "dumb" bombs, one GBU-38 500-pound Joint Direct Attack Munitions (JDAM GPS-guided bomb), one GBU-31 2,000-pound JDAM, and an MK-84 2,000-pound general purpose "dumb" bomb. Prior to the White Sands demonstration, the B-1B and 337th TES accomplished another first June 21 when a Lancer over the Gulf of Mexico dropped a Cluster Bomb Unit-105 wind corrected munitions dispenser (WCMD) on a moving maritime target in support of Sinking Exercise East.

B-1B Lancer, UpgradedThese missions' success was made possible by the final testing of new offensive avionics software designated as Sustainment Block 10. An enhanced version of the Lancer's flight software, SB-10 provides advanced weapons patterning capability and the ability to load more than one type of weapon in each of the B-1's three weapons bays.

In the past, a set of target coordinates had to be entered for every guided weapon prior to release, but with SB-10 systems it's possible to specify the number of weapons in a linear or circular spacing around a single set of coordinates, greatly improving the ability to strike a maneuvering target.

www.af.mil...

Officials said that once these upgrades are completed, the B-1B will have the largest JASSM capability in the Air Force with a maximum capacity of 24 missiles. Other platforms that are capable of carrying the JASSM are the vintage B-52 Stratofortress, the B-2 Spirit stealth bomber, the F-117 Nighthawk stealth fighter and the F-16 Fighting Falcon.

[edit on 24-8-2005 by Stealth Spy]

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 04:19 PM
link   
This is great. I always did like the B-1B, so it's good to see that the US is taking its armament up a notch. Stealth don't make a plane good. The B-1B is a great example of a non-stealth aircraft that makes a big boom when its on a mission. I never did see the point of creating a stealthy nuke dropper like the B-2. If you're going to level-bomb or carpet-bomb an area, its fairly obvious that you're at war or something, so everything's on full alert, and patrols are going. Stealth has its uses, but I still think the B-1B has the advantage over the B-2 at being able to penetrate airspace at high speed, drop tactical bombs, and make its getaway. Good job finding the article

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 04:36 PM
link   
The B-1B has been in need of a serious upgrade when it rolled off the production line as far as munitions go. I am deeply touched that the Air Force has the insight and is putting them into their future use. It is a shame that they are not as stealthy as the F-117 and the B-2B Stealth but they sure make it up in speed and payload capabilities. Good pic.!

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 05:11 PM
link   
This plane is so cool, I wish I could have got some good photos of it from the air show. I was always in the wrong place or didnt have my camra.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darkpr0
This is great. I always did like the B-1B, so it's good to see that the US is taking its armament up a notch. Stealth don't make a plane good. The B-1B is a great example of a non-stealth aircraft that makes a big boom when its on a mission. I never did see the point of creating a stealthy nuke dropper like the B-2. If you're going to level-bomb or carpet-bomb an area, its fairly obvious that you're at war or something, so everything's on full alert, and patrols are going. Stealth has its uses, but I still think the B-1B has the advantage over the B-2 at being able to penetrate airspace at high speed, drop tactical bombs, and make its getaway. Good job finding the article

B-1B is a little stealthy.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Speed isn't everything either. What good is high speed if they know exactly where you are? If they can track you on radar, then they can figure out your target and have their entire air force waiting for you.

jra

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 03:14 AM
link   
It's great that they are giving them an update/upgrade. They seems to be good bombers, plus they just look nice and sleak.

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
This plane is so cool, I wish I could have got some good photos of it from the air show. I was always in the wrong place or didnt have my camra.

I find taking pics at air show's never really turns out too well. The flight path is always set a bit too far away and it's hard to get a good clear shot (unless you have a really nice telephoto lens). I always go the in the early morning the day everything is leaving, then you can get closer to the runway (at least at my towns airport) and get some sweet shots. I managed to get one good shot of a B-1 once that way.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darkpr0

In typical combat mission today the B-1B is not much faster than B-2, because it is forced to fly low over terrain. In such low altitude it's very hard to achieve supersonic speed and the advantage over B-2 in speed is very slight (perhaps only 0.2 Mach). Besides in order to go supersonic B-1 uses afterburners which means high IR signature.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Cool, now they will be even more effective...

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Cool, now they will be even more effective...

top topics

join