It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supersonic Business Jet (SBJ): First step to bring back supersonic air travel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 02:52 PM
link   
The era of the Concord will be one greatly remembered, but since that is sadly over, what will meet our supersonic needs? Well an airliner version of the SST might not come along for a long time, something equaly inpressive might though relativly soon. Companies such as Lockheed Martin, NASA and GE along with various other are proposing the idea of a SBJ or Supersonic Business Jet that you might seen in a sky near you as soon as 2010. Although not quite as fast as the concord, at only mach 1.8, there is something that puts it in a class of its own. The SBJ will be able to fly supersonicly over land due to its low sonic boom design. That means you could fly from NYC to LA in under 4 hours while sipping fine wine at 50,000 feet. Truely a step forward in the right direction, even if its only for the rich to start with.

To read the full article, please visit www.popularmechanics.com...

external image

Link to full size image: media.popularmechanics.com...

P.S. I did a search on the topic and came up empty on ATS.

P.P.S. Its great to be back.

[edit on 24-8-2005 by beyondSciFi]

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 04:31 PM
link   

The first SBJ could be powered with a descendant of the Pratt & whitney JSF119, designed for the Joint stirke fighter - or even a modified commerical turbofan. Movable inlets and exaust shrounds would lessen takeoff noise. While a first-generation business jet will top out at about mach 1.8, engineers continue to develop engines capeable of much higher speeds. during a visit to the GE global research center in New York, Popular Machanics saw a proof-of-concept model capable of sustained speeds above mach 3. This pulse detonation engine produes supersonic thrust with a series of explosions.

Just imagine its 2010 and your one of the lucky few that gets to ride one of these babys. The view and speed should be astounding compared to any regular jet. Fast forward another 15 years and once again your on a SBJ, but this time with the new and inproved engines your zipping along at mach 3.5 and 100,000 feet! (Thats as fast and high as a Sr-71!) I can't wait!

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Is it just me or am I the only one that finds this interesting? Thats weird, no replys, I though a lot of you guys would like this article, but I guess I was wrong.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Not sure people are seeing the inpact. Really great thread. Thanks so much for sharing.

[edit on 24-8-2005 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 06:40 PM
link   

ya sure? Heres what I came up with.

Concorde Alternative
Concorde Replacment
France & Japan go Supersonic
Japanese Concorde

But i'll still put my 2 cents in.

I love all the supersonic designs, but I think the QSST is the best, All of the future ones are planning on having there boom be quieter then Concorde, but the QSST designed by Skunkworks I think has em all beat.

BTW, I'm kinda doubting they will use PDE for engines...They are REALLY loud, but I guess in 2 decades they will have made them quieter and overall better, so I guess I wouldn't mind (as long as there quieter).

Heres a link to the Video, its a great vid.
Quiet Supersonic Transport

[edit on 24-8-2005 by Murcielago]

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago

ya sure? Heres what I came up with.

Concorde Alternative
Concorde Replacment
France & Japan go Supersonic
Japanese Concorde

By Topic, I was referring to the same exact idea not the general SST topic, so I didnt double post. Although the links you have posted are interesting too. I do agree though that PDEs are really loud, but that doesnt mean thats the only way these private jets will be powered, after all what Popular Machanics saw one of the many concepts. 2025 is a long time from now, so we'll have to wait a little longer before were are sure about what will power them. In fact by that time, the specs of these aircrafts could change many times before they are out. The only things we can say for certain is that they will be supersonic and will carry passangers for a very large price in the beginning. Dont expect any el cheapo tickets until an airliner version of the SST comes out around 2020-2040.
Still I'd buy a ticket if I could afford it by then.

P.S. Thanks for the applause SpittinCobra.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Thanks for the clicky: I was beginning to think no one paid attention to me

I don't know a whole lot about this, and i don't really wanna go uber-in-depth cuz I doubt that private supersonic transports will enter mass service like taxis without a major breakthrough in jet technology. Sorry, I just don't.

I saw something about PDE's and I thought I would put my two bits in.

PulseJets are supposedly really good at letting you go fast. I am not precisely sure, but I think they were used on the SR-71
but I don't know about that. I DO know however that they are loud. Really loud. And that's just that. in PDE's its even MORE powerful and MORE loud. Really really really loud. But effective. Even tho, noise restrictions put a damper on the Concorde's use, and PDE's definitely don't solve that problem, and will suffer the same indignities.

Here's the Link to an area if you don't believe me.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Darkpr0 - The SR-71 used a combo (hybrid), It combined a turbo jet with a ramjet, which makes it a turbo/ramjet.

PDE's will be restricted to military only in the decade to come, they will use then in missiles, and eventually UCAVS. I would like to see someone use PDE's, instead of the rocket nozzle. I dont know the specs (cause there classified) of PDE's, but I think they can produce more thrust then normal rocket engines, so I would like to see the PDE's tubes...in the spot where the nozzles are today.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Back on the topic of Supersonic private jets, I remember seen this show on discovery a while back. It mentioned that the future of private jets was in the supersonic realm. It also stated that Gulfstream and another large European jet company (its name escapes me) are developing their own versions of supersonic jets and should have them ready around 2010-2015. This is great news because competition is always best for the consumer, as well as bringing many innovations to that field of technology.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 11:18 PM
link   
They'll never allow it for US comercial use. Bummer.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frosty
They'll never allow it for US comercial use. Bummer.

WHAT? What are you talking about? Did you even read the article?

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by beyondSciFi
. It also stated that Gulfstream and another large European jet company (its name escapes me)

Dassault?

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Yes your right, now that I think back im 99% sure it was Dassault. It would be cool to see what these companies can come up with. Any bets on which company will deliver the fastest jet? I have my money on Lockmart and GE to deliver a very well rounded private jet.

[edit on 25-8-2005 by beyondSciFi]

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by beyondSciFi
Yes your right, now that I think back im 99% sure it was Dassault. It would be cool to see what these companies can come up with. Any bets on which company will deliver the fastest jet? I have my money on Lockmart and GE to deliver a very well rounded private jet.

I agree.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Here's a picture I believe is of a wind tunnel model for Dassault's SSBJ program, pretty slick. Apparently the program is still searching for the right engine, with GE404 and Snecma M88 derivatives being looked at.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 10:10 PM
link   
got any details on it xmotex?

It looks pretty good, appears to have 3 engines, but lacks low-boom tech.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex

Yeah this is the SJB the Discovery channel showed. I remember them say it should be operational around 2010 if everything went well. Although the show didn't mention any performance specs. I must admit, I like this design more then Lockmart one, well atleast in the looks department, except for the tail jet thing.

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Found the link on Flug Revue: Dassault Supersonic Business Jet

It says the program was halted in 1999, too bad.

The extended engine outlets were a noise-reduction measure apparently.

[edit on 8/26/05 by xmotex]

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I found this on another forum that sounded credible enough to post. I guess there are many more companies looking to build SBJs that we though.
The next 5-7 years should be very interesting.

This is a Aerion concept.

Max TO weight
40,860kg

Empty weight
20,475kg

Length
44.2m

Span
19.8m

Wing area
130m2

Thrust
36,000lb

Max cruise
M1.6

Range
7,400km

Ceiling
51,000ft

TO distance
1,830m

More info at: www.discussanything.com...

Originally posted by xmotex
Found the link on Flug Revue: Dassault Supersonic Business Jet

It says the program was halted in 1999, too bad.

The extended engine outlets were a noise-reduction measure apparently.

That sucks, it was a good looking plane...

[edit on 26-8-2005 by beyondSciFi]

new topics

top topics

join