It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon Overruled On Base Closures

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 01:00 PM
link   
The Pentagon has been overruled in its plans for closing two installations in New England, and one each in Texas, California and Louisianna. The commission set up to review the Pentagon's plans have ordered that the submarine base and shipyard in New England shall remain open. "Yahoo! Submarine base New London lives, and I think that it will live forever." said Sen. Joe Lieberman (Democrat Conneticut).

news.yahoo.com
WASHINGTON - Overruling the Pentagon on two of its biggest requests, a commission reviewing base closings voted to keep open a shipyard and a submarine base in New England that military planners wanted to shut down.

The panel also spared three other major facilities, in Texas, California and Louisiana, against the Pentagon's wishes as it sped through its first day of deliberations, debating and voting on even the most contentious proposals in under an hour each.

But it was New England that got arguably the biggest victories of the day: the commission voted to save two of the Navy's oldest facilities — the Portsmouth shipyard at Kittery, Maine, and Submarine Base New London in Connecticut. Together, the bases are considered economic engines of their region and elected officials from Maine, New Hampshire and Connecticut lobbied intently for months to save them.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Where is the money going to come from to keep these bases open? The Pentagon is going through money like water over in Iraq and the federal budget is nightmarishly high.

These base closures were designed to streamline the U.S military and save money. With the commission overruling the Pentagon for atleast 5 closures, I can see problems on the horizon for the U.S military.

[edit on 24/8/05 by subz]

[edit on 10-9-2005 by DJDOHBOY]

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I see problems with comprimising America's domestic defense capabilities so as to send troops overseas to other countries.

If it's a question of military bases in our own country versus sending troops abroad, I vote for our country.

join