It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Challenging God

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I am interested if others have tried this, and what the results were.

I have a friend (...not a cop out, I really do) who was in a depression. Prior to the episode, he was a strong believer in God, bordering on the evangelical. But life had gotten to him, and he was doubting his beliefs. In prayer, he challenged God "If you're really there, I'd like to see someone with a red hat walk through the door of my business before closing time." Sure enough, a man in a red ball cap walked through the door about 5 minutes before closing.

Thinking it was a fluke, he did it again. "I want you to show me someone who will use the term "whistling dixie" in regular conversation". A few days went by, and being from the Northeast, the term would be rarely used, but again, he heard the term as requested.

The whole episode got him back on track, and the Godly encouragement was a big help.

Believe it? I do. I'd like to know what others think.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Coincidence....(and statistics) He should have tried a bit more obscure "signs" to look for. The bottom line is that this person wanted to see them, and so did, when ordinarily, they wouldn't have paid such things any mind.

What would you say if a muslim or hindu said the same kind of story? Does that mean ALL gods exist? Does it mean all gods are actually the same god? Or does it mean nothing at all? It's a difficult thing to answer.

The good news? We'll all find out some day.

The bad news? It won't be till we die.

So, people want insurance, so they say, "well, if the atheists and the agnostics are right, then I've got nothing to lose, but if they're wrong, and I believe, and God exists, then I'm "safe", whew!". Some of us though, don't compromise our integrity.

My beliefs are what they are. I try and lead a good, moral life. If that's not good enough for God, Allah, Yahweh, Krishna, or anybody else that may or may not exist, then the failing would not be mine if I am "damned". I don't need a mythical "parent figure" to please in order to justify morality.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I am very free and easy with my translation of the bible. I'm what could be called a christian, but....

I can translate the bible in 11 sentences.

10 commandments:

And one of my own:

Thou Shalt Not be a scumbag.

That's really it. Don't lead a bad life, and you shouldn't have a reason to lead a bad afterlife. Right?

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I guess it depends on your heart at the time and your intentions. Maybe if you're down on your luck and ask for a sign you will see something, maybe not. But if you are angry and challenging God then it is unlikely you will see anything. Just don't stake your life on it. "Trust in the Lord but steer away from the rocks."

[edit on 24-8-2005 by imas]

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 11:40 AM
link   
First of all, God clearly says not to test him, but since I really lack faith altogether these days, I'll give it a shot too.

GOD, IF YOU READ FORUMS, PLEASE GIVE ME A LARGE SUM OF MONEY. I'M NOT ASKING FOR A MILLION. A COUPLE THOUSAND COMING OUT OF NOWHERE WOULD BE NICE. IF THAT IS TOO MUCH TO ASK, CAN YOU PLEASE SOMEHOW MAKE MY MOM BRING A MONKEY DRESSED IN PURPLE WITH HER WHEN SHE COMES HOME TODAY? IF IT ISN'T YOUR WISH TO GIVE ME ANYTHING, CAN YOU MAKE SOMETHING CRAZY HAPPEN ON THE ROAD IN FRONT OF MY HOUSE NEXT TIME I LOOK OUT THE WINDOW? THANKS GOD.
YOUR PAL,
YARCOFIN

I'll let you guys know what happens...

Edit: Mom home, no monkey.

[edit on 24-8-2005 by Yarcofin]

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 11:41 AM
link   
"And I shall be found by those that do not seek me."

BZ

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   
amongst all the selfish requests ive asked for in the past.

my dad had a very bad stroke one morning and was quite messed up in hospital,quite disturbing seeing him in hospital.

anyway for the first time i really asked for something,not stupid like please god let me win the lotto or other stuff like that, i did the whole pray thing,did feel a bit silly doing it,even though no-one saw me.

forgot about doing this, my father made a decent recovery,only slight loss of use in one of his hands and slightly impaired speech.doctors said he is/was lucky to gain this use back.

didnt convert me as it could have just been coincidence or just my dads a fighter.

but im thankfull to what/who/how he made it,and quicker than most normal stroke patients too.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   
You see what you believe.

Correlation does not imply causality, although it's all too frequently inferred. The basis for superstition.

If you understand, things are just as they are. If you don't understand, things are just as they are.

We're here. That should be miracle enough for anyone. Make the most of it.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Sorry BostonBill99 I could do what he did every day of the week and I do not believe at all in your 'God'. He just worked a bit of Intuitive magick mixed with a psychological event known as Sensitizing, but misunderstood the source of it, that source would be him.

But it is up to each person to decide what sort of Structure works for them of course. I would guess however that your friend might be finding a different path eventually. He has got some talent and he may eventually wish to learn to develop it.

And Gazrok, your post was most impressive.

A.T
(-)

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
So, people want insurance, so they say, "well, if the atheists and the agnostics are right, then I've got nothing to lose, but if they're wrong, and I believe, and God exists, then I'm "safe", whew!".

This is known as Pascal's Wager. Refutation here. I agree. Good post and much food for thought.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Tau
I tend to agree most with your interpretation, rather than subscribe to the concept that the creator of the universe satisifies our petty whims.

Gazrok
That was an excellent post.

Loki
I have a similar saying, it's "Stop looking, and ye shall find..ya bastard." It happens all the time with me anyway. As soon as I free myself from wanting a thing, I will have it. As soon as I stop looking for something, I find it. It happens over and over again throughout the course of my life.

Happens with love, money, success, anything you can think of. It has always worked for me anyway.

And I'm not a Christian.
Not in any modern sense anyway. I find my inspiration in the pre-Christian and early Christian philosophers, along with their Eastern counterparts.

So God apparently doesn't play favorites, which is how one would expect the creator of the universe to act.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Haha, now don't take this the wrong way or anything.....but Gazrok really reminds me of my dad.

Not bad by any means, seeing as how my dad is a great guy, but interesting to note, that He's similar to my dad, in appearance, demeanor, and philosophy.

Conspiracy, wot?

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by BZ
didnt convert me as it could have just been coincidence or just my dads a fighter.

The problem with this logic is you take the answer you want to hear. For example, if you dad had not survived, you would have taken it as proof that God does not exist.

But now that your dad did make it, you are wondering if it was just a fluke.

---Pineapple

new topics

top topics

join