It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asthma

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by ryan25
i have used ventilon for nearly 20 years
what side effects is there , ive never heard this
help

Ventolin/Respolin etc (Salbutamol) is a steroid. The major effect is that it may weaken your heart in later life. Hey, at least you'll have a later life. If you want to manage your asthma, get fit. That means exercising. A lot of it. Being fit is the single biggest natural boost you can have to surviving serious asthma attacks. And don't be fit to run the 100 metres faster than Canadian/Jamaican drug users, be fit to run the Boston Marathon, or swim the 1500 metres with Kieren Perkins. You need endurance.

My asthma is set off by exercise (if I'm unfit), pollens, smoke, sulphur, laughing (seriously!) can do it, coughing (if I dislodge a mucus plug in my airways).

My medication regime has included Ventolin inhalors, Becanase inhalers, Rotohalers (annoying waste of time, I thought), Beclaforte inhalers, Nebulisers (pump), Theophyline, daily doses of (help, forgotten the name of a steroid) (for an extended period, leading to doctors worrying about stunting my growth), Serevent inhalers and even an oxygen bottle being kept at home for emergencies.

Elevated heart rates exist only for the period of use. I've never been an insomniac due to medication (environment is a different matter).

Check out the number of sportsmen who are/were asthmatics. If they can earn their living by being fit and active, and keep a little blue puffer in their pocket, what's the problem?

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 04:19 AM
link   
hahahahahah i grew out of asthma hahaha

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 01:58 PM
link   
lets right now i'm having an asthma attack and i'm sitting at home with my pregnant wife drinking Hot Sake to dampen it

waiting for her inhaler to refill at the local pharmacy since I am insureable

and doc told me to lay off the medical marijuna for two month beucase my tolence got too high lol

damn asthma attacks

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I hope you get better.

Alcohol usually made me sicker and sometimes starts it .
Get well.

Roper

[edit on 12-9-2005 by Roper]

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedDragon

I'm assuming there's some sort of "glad I'm not you" humour in this somewhere, I just can't see it. But as I've already gone through this experience, I feel totally free to tell you to "drop dead."

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by HowlrunnerIV

Originally posted by RedDragon

I'm assuming there's some sort of "glad I'm not you" humour in this somewhere, I just can't see it. But as I've already gone through this experience, I feel totally free to tell you to "drop dead."

my bad i was being ignorant. i dont know what i was thinking when i posted that. sorry.

[edit on 29-9-2005 by sanctum]

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I have had asthma all my life (24 years), so I consider myself an expert.

Asthma is the process in which the bronchioles in the lungs tighten to the point in which breathing capacity is severly diminished....pretty much little airsacs in your lungs get so tight air can't go in, thus fooling your body into thinking your lungs are full, when they are only working at a small percent of their ability...

Asthma is allergy induced for the most part, however, if you aren't in good shape, your body can make you think asthma is setting in during strenuous activity..

Asthma treatment entails several different areas:

Prevention with medication: Prescribed pills such as Theophylyn (Theo-dur) and allergy pills like Singulair, Zyrtec, Claritin, etc aid in the prevention of allergy induced asthma attacks. Prednisone, a steroid pill is also used during bad times of the year to help prevent attacks. Also, inhaled steroids such as Flovent, Serevent, and Advair are forms of preventive medicine. Usually, these drugs are used daily at a set time for maximum results.

Prevention with lifestyle: Keeping a healthy body, staying in shape, and knowing your limits are all steps in making sure you don't have an attack.

After an attack: There are all types of treatments for an attack. Inhalers like Ventolin and Albuterol are used as temporary solutions. Nebulizers (breathing machines) compress liquid forms of medication like Albuterol along with Saline solution to form a "mist" that is inhaled through a mask or tube.

Non-medicinal things that help after an attack:

Sit in the bathroom with the shower on as hot is it can go and the door closed...kind of like a sauna....the humidity can help loosen tightened bronchioles...

Horehound candy seems to help me...along with peppermints...

The most useful thing I have found to do is not to panic.....I know it is hard to do when you can't breathe, but relax...take deep breaths, etc...stay calm

For the most part, my asthma is under control. I'm overweight (6 ft tall and 265 lbs) but have no problem getting out playing basketball, cutting the grass, taking a walk, etc. The main thing about asthma is you have to understand what it is doing to you and how to prevent it from doing it. I have numerous allergies that include: eggs, almonds, pecans, walnuts, chestnuts, grasses, pollens, weeds, dust, all animals with any kind of fur, bananas, watermelon, etc, etc, etc...I have been allergy tested 3 times in my life (skin prick method) and every time, I was allergic to everthing they tested me for.

Right now, the only medicine I have is Advair 500/50, Albuterol, and Singulair. To be honest, I don't even take the Advair and Singulair like I am supposed to. I use the Albuterol too much. My doctor is concerned that asthma patients can become too dependant on Albuterol and has threatened to stop me on it alltogether. You have to be careful because it can become a "quick fix" type drug that you use subconsciously.

The best way to curb your asthma is to stay away from your main allergens. Mine are the furry animals...lol. My wife and I can't have an inside pet. We have a rabbit, but he stays outside. If I go to someone's house that has indoor pets, I stay outside.
If I'm around it, the eyes get itchy, sneezing starts, shortness of breath...ASTHMA!!! Wear one of those painters mouth/nose masks when youre cutting the grass...you may look like a dork, but you wont be breathing in unclean air...

Just because you feel like you can't breathe doesn't mean youre having an attack. You shouldnt pull out the inhaler and puff. You need to sit down, breathe deep, and you'll be surprised how many times you can regain your normal breathing with a little rest. A true attack will put you in the hospital. Anything else is usually just your normal, everyday, out of shape, catching your breath episode.

Hopefully, this has been informative. If you would like anymore questions answered, let me know!

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Anyone know a natural "cure" or otherwise for Asthma? Like there's got to be an ancient chinese remedy or something right?

I have Asthma and have used inhalers in the past...but as stated by many, the side affects are not good. Also, it seems to me once I start using one, I get addicted to using it. As in, if I didn't have the damn thing, I wouldn't use it nearly as much. As in, using it makes me want to use it more.

Though there is no cure, the best "herbal" medication I have found is just that...herb! i.e marijuana. It opens up my lungs immediately. Works better than any inhaler and doesn't have all the side affects mentioned earlier by some others. And I'm not talking about getting stoned. I mean just one small puff on a pipe and I'm breathing fine for the rest of the day.

One of the many MANY medicinal uses of marijuana that the world denies the population...stemming back from companies like Monsanto getting Hemp banned so that they could sell more of their junk plastic fibers aka Polyester! That's why hemp/marijuana was made illegal. It had nothing to do with people smoking it and getting stoned!...but I'm getting off the subject.

I get an asthma attack and a little herb does the job! Caffeine does work also, but not nearly as well or as quick!! PEACE!!

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Natural stuff: besides caffeine, a Chinese herb tea called "Lo Han Kuo". It's GREAT - and works for flu too. ...Also, find a good antihistamine and use it when you need it. Try to avoid polution.

Some great stuff here, for the scientifically inclined:

Euroconference on Lung Diseases

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
Try to avoid polution.

I wish I could
I can just about picture myself going to work in a gas mask
-- Oxford Tops UK Air Pollution List.

New figures show emissions from diesel and petrol vehicle engines could see pedestrians and city dwellers inhaling pollutants equivalent to up to three packs of cigarettes a day.

The research by Calor, a supplier of cleaner road fuel liquefied petroleum gas (LPG), was based on published air quality statistics for 30 UK locations which show the impact of road traffic on local air quality. Levels of oxides of nitrogen (NOx) were compared to the amounts inhaled from a cigarette to illustrate the serious impact of such priority pollutants on public health in the region.

Surprisingly, while London locations were high on the list – Marylebone Road’s average NOx levels equated to 30 cigarettes a day – the most polluted location was Oxford, with the annual average equating to 61 cigarettes a day. The peak level for Oxford equated to 185 cigarettes in a 24-hour period. Another heritage site, Bath, was second at 46 cigarettes while Glasgow gained third place at 44 cigarettes.

61 cigarettes a day..........and I'm trying to cut down.

~Peace
~

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join