It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asthma

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Anyone know a natural "cure" or otherwise for Asthma? Like there's got to be an ancient chinese remedy or something right?

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Flavanoids from apple pie and other forms of cooked apple have been known to reduce asthma by somthing like 20%.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 08:10 PM
link   
As far as I know there is no "cure" for Asthma, people can sometimes grow out of it like it's an Allergy(in reality that is exactly what it is, an allergic reaction to something in the environoment) I've lived with it almost my whole life and am depended on meds, good thing they are cheap meds lol. Here are some tips, Hepa Filter, Dust Daily, avoid foods you are allergic too, stay inside on smog days. Not many things to do unfortunately, my Great-Grandmother had Asthma and used to drink a Tincture, too bad some of the ingredients are illigal now lol.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Not living in an area with polluted air seems to help. An old friend of mine used to use a puffer every day, but since he moved to another city, his asthma seems to have completely disappeared :\. So I guess location and what is in the air plays a large part. Not sure about cures as far as things you can take/do for it though, sorry.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I know that aerobic exercise helps my asthma.

Depends on the type you have.

Roper.

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 01:38 AM
link   
It could just be from a suggestion.

eg...
Making friends with people that have asthma, and then you try out the inhalers. YOu then keep the asthma to stay connected to the people that have asthma.

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by websurfer

eg...
Making friends with people that have asthma, and then you try out the inhalers. YOu then keep the asthma to stay connected to the people that have asthma.

Umm no, it doesn't happen that way. It's an affect of pollution on the immune system, shortly after I moved into my neighboorhood it got more and more difficult to breath(turns out there was a garbage incinerator nearby). I was 5 at the time and in those days' asthma was still associated with pencil neck geeks, not healthy people. I woke up in the middle of the night one night when I was 5(I can still remember it) and all I could remember is struggling very hard to breath, my parents took me to the hospitol and they diagnosed me with shock asthma and put me on meds that made me better when I needed it. Please also note that even without insurance the meds still only cost about 20 bucks a month so it's not like I'm being gouged. It's been around as long as Industry I'm afraid maybe even longer, as I mentioned above my Great Grandmother had asthma, well before Puffers were invented.

It ain't psychological or brainwashing. /rant

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 03:13 AM
link   
I suffer from asthma but not severely.

I notice whenever I have the temporary or the more permanant 'puffers' to 'cure' or fix the asthma my asthma also increases. I try to take them as least as I can.

My asthma is almost non-existant these days.

I hear aerobic exercises DOES help reduce asthma sufficiently.

- Nazgarn

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by websurfer

eg...

Yeah. Right. Just a suggestion. So much for denying ignorance.

Asthma is hereditary. However, in the late 20th century the incidence of asthma has skyrocketed. The current thinking is that the extreme levels of pollutants in the atmosphere are triggering latent asthma in a far greater section of the population that was previously thought to have it.

I've got chronic (fatal) asthma. Tell my mother (also an asthmatic) that the reason she had a nervous breakdown after watching me being resuscitated is because I used to hang out with asthmatics and used their inhalers.

When I was a kid I was the only one I knew with asthma. This was true until I was 11 years old.

I was clinically dead from "suggestion"
You're funny, I like you. Can I take him home? He makes me laugh.

My life still depends on a daily medication regime, even when I'm fit and ride a couple of hundred kilometres a week on a bicycle. If my son never develops asthma it will be a gift from God.

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 06:12 AM
link   
I have fairly prevelent asthma, but it has absoloutely nothing to do with allogens. I could inhale the smog from a bus and(apart from developing cancer) not feel a thing. My asthma is activity induced, that is, should I suddenly excert myself then BANG asthma onsets.

fortunatly it's controlled so much by medication that I can lead a totally normal life, albeit with out a hell of a lot of physical activity. but who cares that's over rated right? lol

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 09:45 AM
link   
CAFFINE IS SAID TO HELP OPEN UP THE RESPRITORY TRACK

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 12:19 PM
link   
having severe asthma all of my life the best drug I have found is Advair. Takes away all of my problems. Its not for everybody but it can do the trick.

Good luck

[edit on 26-8-2005 by Racer5]

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I've had Asthma my whole life, and sometimes i'll go months without having to take my puffer and then the next couple of months I will be in need of it again.

I know that puffers are kind of out of date with the new medication and all, but I just don't have enough money to afford that, so hopefully I won't be having a major asthma attack anytime soon. I've been in the Hospital 3 times because of my asthma (I'm 19) and each time I was there, it would be for weeks at a time.

A natural cure? I wish. (Well, perhaps there's one, just not discovered.)
There is no cure for this dreadful disease.

[edit on 26-8-2005 by Useful 1diot]

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Racer5
having severe asthma all of my life the best drug I have found is Advair. Takes away all of my problems. Its not for everybody but it can do the trick.
[edit on 26-8-2005 by Racer5]

Advair without insurance is very expensive. It doesn't have the negative side-affects of the Ventalin though. It's a pretty good therapy, 240 bucks cnd without insurance is insane though...

[edit on 26-8-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Actually, there is one natural one that helps. But unfortunantly, not legal.
Except in Canada and England and some other countries.

I have had asthma since I was twelve. Times of stress, or times when I was feeling "Trapped" are when the asthma gets worse. Watching stress levels really does help. The worst attack I ever had (was hospitalized for it) was when I was trying to decide if after four years I spent in pre-med I really wanted to go through with MCATs and applying for med school, etc. I didn't but didn't want to change my mind that late in the game.

The second worst attack (also hospitalized) was when I was in a relationship that was going bad. Still cared about each other, but really shouldn't have been together.

High stress factors really do affect the asthma levels. Meditation helps me to regain my breathing abilities because it helps me to relax and focus more on my breathing. If I just can't meditate or relax, then the inhalor, but it has serious side-effects for me (so bad even the doctor doesn't like me using it much. Blood-pressure sky-rockets, pulse rate is insane, severe insomnia etc). These are things that were recommended to me, because of the fact that I really couldn't go one the main medications they use. Worked for the asthma, not for the rest of the body.

www.clevelandclinic.org...

www.mayoclinic.com...

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 05:38 AM
link   
I have Asthma too.
I developped 2 years ago, during the spring (Sh!t pollenization).
I didnt know i was having an asthma attack, then next day i couldnt almost breath and i went to the hospital...i was less than 40% of my breath capacity.

As far as i know there is no real cure.

I think the best way to solve the problem is to go see a doctor that threat alergies and check your problem......then try to avoid what you are allergic to.
This will help reduce the Asthma attacks...because you will avoid to trigger the allergy.

The best medication i used was the one in the hospital.
When i arrived there, they gave me some innahalator(spelling ?)...was a machine that released some humidity with some product, i used for 15 mins.
When i came out the hospital about 2 hours later i started to cough all the infection that was inside my lungs...
Was impressive, then some hours later i was breathing like never before.
I wish i had one machine like that at home. My doctor said only the small medication i have is enough for my case.

Since then, when the spring starts i have to put some pollen filters in the windows....arghhhh...damn nature.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 05:46 AM
link   
i have used ventilon for nearly 20 years
what side effects is there , ive never heard this
help

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 10:46 AM
link   
The inhalor especially caused side-effects. They include increased blood pressure (mine went up 20 points), increased pulse rate (18 beats per minute for me), "jitters" or shakiness, insomnia, and upset stomach. I get all but the upset stomach.

Singular also caused insomnia with me, and headaches. Other side-effects are dizziness, upset stomach and sore mouth.

For close to a year, I was getting about 2-3 hours sleep every night.

If you are put on any medication, I always recommend reading the inserts that they give you (and almost everyone throws away) because they explain possible side-effects. Or go to
www.drugstore.com...
You can look up your medication by name. They also will look up other meds you are on and alert you to any possible interactions.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Its good to see I'm not alone, wanting to look for a natural Asthma cure though the one thing I have found is doing a martial art like Aikido or Tai Chi will help your breathing.

One of best things you can do when confronted with an Asthma attack is NOT to panic be as realxed as possible, pannicing causes your heatbeat to rise therefore more need for oxygen which is not what you want when you have a limited supply of oxygen.

It seems emotional disturbances can also trigger or make Asthma worse.

How Emotions spark Asthma attacks

US scientists say they have hard evidence to show that certain emotions can cause flare ups of asthma. The University of Wisconsin-Madison team discovered activity in brain areas linking the two in asthmatics who read emotive words.

One brain region has a role in obtaining information about disease symptoms while another processes emotions.

Their findings appear in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

"Asthma and a patient's personality and emotions are very intrinsically bound up with each other" -- Chairman of the British Lung Foundation Dr Mark Britton

Just remember to relax. If you have quite severe Asthma I highly recommend you take up something like Tai Chi or even yoga and keep a straight posture especially when sitting in front of a computer screen

Do any Asthma sufferers here have problems breathing through the sinuses/nose???

~Peace
~

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 03:42 AM
link   
i have used inhalers all my life=22 years i dont anymore after i started to feel the bad long terms effects.....my bones and joints....so i dont use them anymore even though without medicine my asthma will put me in the er every month now i sit at him and use my vaporizer with medical marijuana my medical cost have gone down by $800 a month

when i was real young a chinese lady told me if a ate turtle soup for a month it would "cure" it ..problem thats kinda hard to come by in bakersfield CA

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join