It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Katrina

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
update on Jefferson Parish:

www.wwltv.com...

Jeff Parish President. Residents will probably be allowed back in town in a week, with identification only, but only to get essentials and clothing. You will then be asked to leave and not come back for one month.

Thanks WW. How many people were with Mizar in his house, do you know?

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 02:35 PM
link   

10:15 A.M. A spokeswoman describes Jefferson Parish as a "very dangerous" place. Jackie Bauer says there's gas leaks everywhere, water needs to be boiled, there's no commercial power, no pumping stations and the water's toxic.
And there's still some deep water in some neighborhoods. Bauer says there are other dangers -- snakes in the water, other vermin, loose dogs and cats everywhere. She says -- quoting now -- "We kind of have to fight for survival with them." - Associated Press

www.wwltv.com...

Hope they get out or are already gone.

Edit left out part of quote.

[edit on 8/30/2005 by darkelf]

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   
That seems a bit futile.....any clothes or salvageable items are going to be moldy and crawling in bacteria after a week of soaking in contaminated water and then left to dry out in the sun...Only to get whatever they can and let it fester for another month??

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 02:39 PM
link   
dangermouse, I'm not sure of exact number but I think his immediate family is with him, about 5-6?? plus he mentioned neighbors that were staying, probably with their families too.

I hope they have left, he had radio service and was up to date with what was going on, hopefully after hearing about the flooding, martial law, and the fact that they will be without power, water, phones, etc for months, they have chosen to leave.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Thanks again worldwatcher, I hope he did bring his boat inside and that it can support his family.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I don't know if the NHC will reclassify the storm as a cat 5. With the exception of the 20+ foot surge was the wind damage really all that bad? I think most of the surge was built up when the storm was still a cat 5. I think it happened close enough to the land that it didn't have a chance to come back down. I think this is what happens when you have a storm spend nearly an entire day at cat 5 strength.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indy
I don't know if the NHC will reclassify the storm as a cat 5. With the exception of the 20+ foot surge was the wind damage really all that bad? I think most of the surge was built up when the storm was still a cat 5. I think it happened close enough to the land that it didn't have a chance to come back down. I think this is what happens when you have a storm spend nearly an entire day at cat 5 strength.

I guess maybe I'm thinking that the categorization shouldn't be based exclusively on absolute wind speed?

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Several photos show fuel leaks near gas stations. I wonder if there is now a possibility that a major, floating fire could break out in the city?

Also... is there a possibility that a riot could break out in the Superdome?

There's almost too much to keep up on at once.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Governor says entire city needs to be evacuated
With conditions in the hurricane-ravaged city of New Orleans rapidly deteriorating, Gov. Kathleen Blanco said Tuesday that people now huddled in the Superdome and other rescue centers need to be evacuated...

www.wwltv.com...

Water levels are rising. I am afraid this night will also be a very long and sad night.

I hope Mizar and his family were able to get away using the boat...
So many people are still hoping to be rescued...

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 04:01 PM
link   
we are all referring to Mizar's boat -- if it was the one in his picture it was a canoe -- won't hold many -- and that is only if he put it inside -- I doubt that the water that was in it was enough to hold it in place - which is why I suggested that he put it in the house or garage at least.

But a canoe is better than nothing - you can take 2 people out at a time and paddle back for more if needed.

Did anyone hear any more on the man who jumped to his death from the superdome earlier today?

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 04:02 PM
link   
This is insane! The people in the superdome are only living in a personal hell of their own. The toilets are overflowing, the bottom levels are flooding with sewage and water, and its hot there now with 30K people inside! I have to say that the superdome was not a good place to go for those people because now they are stuck, not only that they waited in line to get there.

All these people in NO lost their houses, not only the poor, but the wealthy ppl too. No, flood insurance doesn't cover them. I don't think Wall Mart will have any problem finding people to work for them in the next few years.. unemployment rate is gonna sky rocket in states now.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by onlyinmydreams

Several photos show fuel leaks near gas stations. I wonder if there is now a possibility that a major, floating fire could break out in the city?

Also... is there a possibility that a riot could break out in the Superdome?

There's almost too much to keep up on at once.

Without food and warmth, aside al those people will do somethin to you, or do they get food now?

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by justme1640

Did anyone hear any more on the man who jumped to his death from the superdome earlier today?

Like I said Itll do something to you

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Mizar's picture of his canoe is on page 11 near the bottom. You can see what I mean when I say that I hope he put it inside or it would be gone most likely.

In regards to the superdome there is no where for the toilets to drain too -- the sewers are full and part of what is flowing in the streets now -- I don't know what they can do about that.

[edit on 30-8-2005 by justme1640]

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Don't know if it has been mentioned or not but one of the main routes in to New Orleans has been severely damaged. The I-10 causeway on the east side has been all but wiped out. With the exception of the highly elevated section in the middle for boats to go under most segments of the bridge have been shifted off center or have collapsed completely. There are also abandoned cars on the causeway. I have no idea what fate those drivers met. I have to expect the worse for them.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Thanks for the reference... I´ve seen the canoe now... My God, I hope he put it inside before the worst started.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Governor says entire city needs to be evacuated

With conditions in the hurricane-ravaged city of New Orleans rapidly deteriorating, Gov. Kathleen Blanco said Tuesday that people now huddled in the Superdome and other rescue centers need to be evacuated.

www.wwltv.com...

This is just a horrible situation.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Mizar on this page
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I dont think the Dome would have lasted if the hurricane came any closer, they are getting closed in.

Update:
80% of city underwater;
Death toll rising, 55 up (55 as of six to four ours ago.)

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Slightly off topic. This marks the 3rd depression that has hit us here in Indiana this year. Right now we have rain and a pressure of 998mb or 29.47". We don't get pressure this low in the summer. If we get a pressure this low in the winter we are usually getting burried in snow.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 04:28 PM
link   
crud this thread has gotten a lot of traffic!!

has anyone heard anything from Mizar? i know my house is probably underwater, but im curious as to see how everyone else is doing. please, if anyone has any info on the other members that are new orleans residents, please u2u me, i want to know how everyone else is doing.

i made it to houston after 17 hours of driving wondering where others fled to. keep me posted

--Kit

new topics

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join