It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Katrina

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 10:36 AM
link   
CNN has a ton of videos showing the damage of New Orleans and surrounding areas as well..

LinkieDinkie

Search for Katrina and you'll get about 4 pages

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Over the next 24 hours the flooding will get worse. All the drains are back up the pumps have no where to pump since the rivers and lakes are full already. Flood rain water from in land will run down the Mississippi and try and escape into the sea. However, as there is severe coast flooding along the Mississippi and the coast the water will have no where to go! So flooding the coastal areas will get worse.

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers confirmed at least three breaches in the levee system....and New Orleans mayor Ray Nagin predicted as much as 80 percent of the city was under water

Looks like they live in a lake now.

Barbour said there were unconfirmed reports of up to 80 deaths in Harrison County - which includes devastated Gulfport and Biloxi - and the number was likely to rise. At least five other deaths across the Gulf Coast were blamed on Katrina.

Good coverage here:
www.wwltv.com...

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I've been trying to reach Mizar since yesterday, cellphone service doesn't seem to be working at all. I'm still getting busy tones. I thought the early morning hours would have been easier to reach him, but I had no luck, I will keep trying though.

Just so you guys know, Mizar said he lived under the last "R" in Marrero, which is in Jefferson Parish. I've haven't found any info on Marrero yet. If you go back a few pages, Mizar pointed out his location on the map. Maybe astute members can check to see how bad Marrero has been affected, I can't find anything on damage in Marrero.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Cellphone service is completely out. As are land lines, power and water.

Check this out...

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mizar
I just woke up form my nap, I woke up a few times due to phone calls.

Ok peopel are askign for my location...

maps.google.com...,-90.093727&spn=0.143941,0.240704&hl=en

Its starting to rain....

I'll mail you a dollar if you can name the street I live on useing goodle maps!

[edit on 28-8-2005 by Mizar]

Here's Mizar location, can someone use this to find out what conditions are like there? He kept stressing that he didn't think an overflow of either the lake or the river would affect him??

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Wow nerdling....
I hope mixar is ok. Keep trying worldwatcher. Hopefully you can get in touch.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 11:59 AM
link   
West bank is flooded, I remember seeing the golf course flooded in the footage yesterday, by now Id expect his house is definately flooded. Like i said, hope the water didn't come to fast.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Here's a closer image with some street names, might help, hope it's accurate, just going from the other map...

Some helicopter vid footage showing the flooding....looks like the whole city is flooded to some degree....

www.sun-sentinel.com...

[edit on 30-8-2005 by Gazrok]

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Does anyone have Info on Covington Louisiana??? Member LadyLily said she lived north of Lake Ponchartrain in Covington and I'm more worried about her and her 4 dogs and mom who decided to ride out the storm.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Here is something, as per your Covington request:

Northshore information from WWLTV.

[edit on 30-8-2005 by zamphir66]

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 12:51 PM
link   
CNN is running a story and video on the levee break

A two-block-long breach in a levee at the 17th Street Canal was letting water pour into downtown, Nagin said.

"There's a serious leak and it's causing the water to continue to rise," he said.

Along Canal Street on Tuesday, the floodwater level was "much higher" than it had been during the height of Katrina's onslaught on Monday. It rose all morning and topped sandbags meant to keep the water out of buildings.

Water 6-feet deep surrounded Tulane Hospital as the facility moved its operations to upper floors and held off on a decision to evacuate. Nearby Charity Hospital, however, evacuated 90 patients by air.

If you click this link and click the video link labeled (See video explaining where water flowed when the levee gave way -- 2:11) you'll get a better understanding of just how much area is being affected by the breach. extra DIV

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 12:57 PM
link   
One of the most recent CNN videos (1:19 I believe) shows how the water is rising...

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 01:00 PM
link   
thank you all for the updates, info and links

Rescuing the living is top priority says Blanco
The chairman of the Jefferson Parish Council, Tom Capella, said that most of the west bank of his parish is high and dry but much of the east bank has been flooded. There were reports of some east bank pumps beginning to work, he said.

"We are going to be without power, water, sewers and drainage for an extended period of time. Many of the homes on the west bank were high and dry and most damage was on the east bank of Jefferson Parish," Capella said as part of a press conference at the state's emergency operations center here.

If you look at the above maps that Mizar and Gaz has provided, I do think that Mizar is at moment safe, he's on the west side of Jefferson county I believe, but one way to find out, would be to look for info on the hospital, St. Jefferson Medical Center, Mizar had mentioned that he is on the same power grid as the hospital.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 01:03 PM
link   
They just showed brand new pictures on FOX of a causeway near New Orleans that looks devestated and halfway underwater...this was a truly devestating storm.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I hope no one is surprised by the devastation of Katrina, it was expected and actually NO got less that what was initially forcasted, I know it's bad now but it could have been even worse if Katrina had stayed a 5 and moved west of NO.

I've been expecting devastation like Hurricane Andrew did to Miami but on a scale 2-3 time larger and greater. I just wished more people in the "cone of error" had evacuated instead of riding out this storm.

it's a sad sad thing, but it was expected

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 01:41 PM
link   

I know it's bad now but it could have been even worse if Katrina had stayed a 5 and moved west of NO.

Nah...Cantore was in Gulfport...
It had no choice but to head that way...

Found this:

Windows have blown out in the West Jefferson Medical Center office building. Because of that, patients in the West Jefferson Medical Center are being evacuated from their rooms into hallways, according to Jennifer Steel, hospital spokeswoman. There were no injuries as a result of the broken windows

[edit on 30-8-2005 by Gazrok]

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
I hope no one is surprised by the devastation of Katrina, it was expected and actually NO got less that what was initially forcasted, I know it's bad now but it could have been even worse if Katrina had stayed a 5 and moved west of NO.

I've been expecting devastation like Hurricane Andrew did to Miami but on a scale 2-3 time larger and greater. I just wished more people in the "cone of error" had evacuated instead of riding out this storm.

it's a sad sad thing, but it was expected

Even though she landed as a Cat 4, the pressure was still lower than Andrew upon landfall, seems like it was around 918 mb or so when it hit and Andrew was 922. I wouldn't be surprised if they upgrade the landfall to a Cat 5 rating.......

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   
www.breitbart.com...

"To be honest with you, people who are oppressed all their lives, man, it's an opportunity to get back at society," he said.

I hope Mizar is ok. It sounds like parts of the city are descending into violent lawlessness. I pray that he doesn't get attacked by some of these people who want to "get back at society."

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Einstein figured it out....

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 02:24 PM
link   
update on Jefferson Parish:

www.wwltv.com...

Jeff Parish President. Residents will probably be allowed back in town in a week, with identification only, but only to get essentials and clothing. You will then be asked to leave and not come back for one month.

new topics

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join