It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Katrina

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Worldwatcher, any update on Mizar? ALOT of NO is now underwater.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Does anyone know of a map with the different parrishes so we can know where the levee broke?

I think Mizar is a bit south east -- am I right? but what parrish is that?

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I just wanted to post this in case it is of any help to locate the Parish:

Parish by Parish:
www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Please, can you confirm if it is right? The previous posts´link states:
A survey of the West Bank by NewsChannel 6 crews reveals "not much flooding, but damage to homes, roofs blown off, windows out," according to WDSU Executive Producer Scott Burke.

Wasn´t it West Bank where Mizar was living?

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I last spoke to Mizar around 11am, he and his family was fine, flooding was only in the streets and didn't make it to his house. He felt they were safe. I will attempt to call him now for an update.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Thank you, Worldwatcher. Yes, please, confirm they are still ok and tell them we are
with them.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 06:10 PM
link   
The reason I ask is becasue I think back then NO still hadn't had the brunt of the surge considering it seemed to be coming from behind the eye and well as allowing time for it to turn back onto the south shore. Now reports are coming from not just east NO but also west, completely flooded, this raises suspicions for me that more levees have been compromised since you last spoke to Mizar.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I'm currently getting "due to Hurricane, your call cannot be completed at this time" also getting "busy tones" I will keep trying, but Mizar has my number and said he would call if there were any developments.

and I found the reason why....
Storm hampers long-distance, cell services

[edit on 8-29-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Jefferson Parrish is currently under a "boil water order"
and the heavy dangerous floodings seems to be east of Mizar's location.
Mayor: 200 trapped on Ninth Ward rooftops; bodies floating in Bywater, Eastover

Mayor Ray Nagin said that 200 people were stranded on rooftops in the Lower Ninth Ward and several “bodies are floating in the water” in the Bywater neighborhood and in Eastover.

Nagin made the announcement in his first press briefing after Hurricane Katrina slammed just east of the city, but did plenty of devastation to New Orleans.

Nagin said that the 200 stranded people included 20 police officers who were riding out the storm at their homes in preparation to take over shifts from other officers. He said that boats would be dispatched on rescue missions later in the afternoon.

Mayor Nagin issued a "boil water" recommendation for water in the city - except for Algiers and the CBD due to a water main line break that may have compromised the water.

Nagin said at least 20 buildings in the city had collapsed and that it might be 48 hours before residents would be allowed back to their homes to assess the damage.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Ok -- I am really dense -- I figured out that Parrishes must be like counties -- but what the heck are wards (9th ward)???

It makes it hard to figure where they are talking about if you have never been there --

edited to add -- I found a map it looks like the Ninth Ward is just above the French Quarter - in case anyone else didn't know like me

[edit on 29-8-2005 by justme1640]

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ptolomeo
I just wanted to post this in case it is of any help to locate the Parish:

Parish by Parish:
www.msnbc.msn.com...

Here's an eery quote from that site:

The Hancock Emergency Ops Center had a foot of flood water on the floor. The center is at an elevation of 30 feet, indicating a very strong storm surge. -- Biloxi Sun-Herald

Some background on Hancock County, MS:
en.wikipedia.org...

link   
Does this mean their celullar cells are not working? And if they need help?

Maybe you could inform about Mizar´s location to the authorities in order for them to take a look & evacuate them? There are boats helping people in town.
I am a little worried about him. It is possible that there is no water where they are, but levels can rise...

If you had no news since 11 am... That´s a lot...

I hope they are safe.

link   
Jefferson Parrish is the county and 9th ward is like a city within the county???
that's the best I can explain it, but this wikipedia entry should help, has maps and everything, even updated with Katrina info
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 06:30 PM
link   
ptlomeo, I'm confident in Mizar's survival skills, they are well prepared and even have a small boat. Per earlier news conferences, FEMA even stated that Jefferson Parrish was not hit as hard as areas east of it. FEMA described damage there as trees, power lines and roof damage, however Mizar said his house held up well.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Yes Parishes are like counties. Wards are like city districts for the bigger cities like NO. its just a way to divide the city into smaller pieces.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Thank you, Worldwatcher. You know him for sure and I am more confident now about their survival, even more having a boat.
That´s a good news.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 07:10 PM
link   
k, not sure if you guys are seeing these helicopter pics of NO, but the whole damn city is swamped with water, as i suspected levees definately became compromised after the eye had past. Mizars boat will come in handy, lets hope the water didnt come to quick that he couldnt pour all the water out of the boat itself, ALSO lets hope all his family can fit in it, what was it his father, grandfather, sister, and a couple neighbours? They might have to take turns rowing it

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Picard all of New Orleans is NOT under water, New Orleans is a large city, Just certain parts are flooded, mostly east, the areas directly near the coast. The areas hit hardest by flooding is in Mississippi, Gulf Coast, Christian Passe, Biloxi, and Mobile. There also flooding in quite a few inland cities too.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Well it looked like it from what I was seeing, ok maybe they didn't show all of the city but all of what i saw was flooded.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I am very glad to hear that Mizar is ok...I have been working all day trying to finish up some job site issues before the outer bands came in. It is rough in Atlanta now, but we have had much worse. I am not a big praying person, but I did last night. I can not wait to see him back. Can I vote my remaining ATS awards to him? LOL Hope to meet him one day and buy him a very large adult beverage!

new topics

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join