It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ABUSE CRISIS: Soldier Jailed Over Abuse of Detainee Who Later Died

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Private Glendale Walls, a US military interrogator has been sentenced to two months jail for his part in the abuse of an Afghan detainee named Dilawar, who died that same month. Six other enlisted soldiers have been charged in connection with the abuse on the detainee with one soldier, Private Willie Brand originally charged with Murder over the incident. Private Brand was convicted of assault, maltreatment, maiming and making a false statement but the jury declined to give him jail time. In Private Wall's case, In addition to his prison sentence, Walls was also reduced in rank and will receive a bad conduct discharge after admitting to pushing Dilawar against a wall and standing by as Sergent Selena Salcedo lifted the detainee by his ear.

www.theage.com.au
Walls pleaded guilty earlier in the day to dereliction of duty and assault.

He admitted that he stood by as former Sergeant Selena M Salcedo lifted a detainee known as Dilawar by his ear when the two worked at Bagram Airfield in Afghanistan.

Walls also admitted to pushing Dilawar against a wall during the interrogation.

He said he also stood by as a third military intelligence soldier, former Private Joshua Claus, made another detainee roll around on the floor and kiss Walls' boots.

Dilawar was detained during December 2002 and died the same month.

Prosecutors had sought a sentence of 6 months confinement, a 6-month, 75 per cent pay cut, the demotion and the bad-conduct discharge. The maximum sentence Walls could have faced was 12 months confinement, a 75 per cent pay cut for 12 months, a reduction in rank and a bad-conduct discharge. Walls' lawyer asked for a letter of reprimand and reduction in rank.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I am glad these people are being charged, which hopefully gives other soldiers the idea that this won't be tolerated. I do have a feeeling that it is too little too late. The US has what they need out of these prisoners, if they haven't spoken by now, they are not likely to start whistling.

I do not understand why this soldier got jail time and the one originally charged over the death was not given any jail time at all.

[edit on 24-8-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Oh man, I'm not sure what I would do if I were to ever see a fellow soldier behaving in the way that we keep occassionally hearing about as far as detainee abuse is concerned. Regardless, even not knowing WHAT I would do exactly, I sure as heck wouldn't allow it to continue to happen. These are violent crimes that are being committed against unarmed human beings. In that respect, I would not hesitate to hold my "fellow" perpetrator at gunpoint, and restrain him myself in order to protect the victim. I suppose it's because not enough people are willing to put themselves on the line to do the right thing, I suppose.

join