It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Human space expansion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 07:51 AM
link   
just after some one mentioned it in another thread,
i thought about humans right now, and what would happen if over night there was a breakthough in technology, and then we could go to the stars as fast as we wanted? what would we do, have seperate countries claiming bits and peices of other solar sytems? or would it be some sort of good thing like in star trek?

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 08:49 AM
link   
In the unlikely event that we somehow developed the technology for interstellar flight overnight, I think that any expansion away from Earth, or at least away from our immediate solar system, would be extremely cautious. We have a fairly good idea what conditions in our own solar system are like, so I would predict that there would be a rush by various nations to secure valuable resources in our own neighbourhood, so to speak. The effect would almost be a goldrush scenario on a cosmic scale as different nations raced to lay claim to the best real estate. With this kind of technology, mining on Mars and other bodies throughout the solar system becomes a real possibility and I am sure that nations would be eager to derive resources from these newly available sources.

The reason why I think we would approach genuine interstellar travel with caution is the simple fact that we do not know what or who else is out there. For all we know, the first aliens we encounter might view us as a threat and annihilate us. I am confident that the nations of the Earth would work together to some extent to develop a series of defences to ensure the safety of Earth's immediate surroundings prior to any explorations outside of our solar system. We could have early warning systems and long-range sensors on Pluto, weapons platforms at the outer edge of our solar system and unmanned probes to send before us to at least give us an idea of what we might expect.

When the playground opens up, so do the chances for danger. Doubtless the human spirit and thirst for knowledge will overcome our trepidation, but expect it to take a while. Star Trek is one thing. It is easy to venture out into the cosmos when you have friendly aliens supporting you and you know that most of the aliens you encounter will be at your approximate level of development. The first aliens we encounter may be so much more advanced then us that they might not even recognise us as living, sentient beings. We just don't know and that will slow any exploration or colonisation effort.

As for uniting humanity, I don't think that the advent of interstellar travel, by itself, would prompt this. The primary reason is simply that, with the opening up of the solar system and, later, other solar systems, there are more resources and more knowledge to compete for. Similarly, I think that the discovery of a benevolent alien race would not automatically unify mankind. Although a joint group of human representatives would doubtless be assembled, I can foresee different nations attempting to bargain with the aliens on an individual basis.

The only thing I can foresee that would immediately and automatically unify the human race would be contact with a hostile species of alien. Humans are nothing if not survivors and I believe that if we were faced with the option of co-operation or annihilation, we would choose to pool our resources and stand together as one race.

As humanity became more comfortable with space exploration and developed more and more colonies, I think that we would see some form of unified human governing body to administer this new space empire. This would be especially pertinent as colonies became increasingly independent, in order to prevent interstellar civil war.

On a slightly different point, I wonder what our reaction would be if we discovered that we were actually more advanced then most of the species we encountered. What would our duty of care be then? I think it is also important to note that, in my opinion, it is dangerous to play with technologies that we do not understand (as would presumably be the case with any form of overnight discovery of this magnitude). Would we go forth into space as explorers, settlers, or conquerors?

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I think with the dual issues of the global population exploding and the very dark doctrine of 'depopulation' coupled with the emergent 'resource grab' going on then space exploration and settlement is probably the only viable answer. Although it's a shakey answer at that.

While encountering a suitably hostile alien life form would possibly serve to unite humanity... The development of space would almost certainly end up being disputed and fought over in potential macrocosm to Earth.

It's natural for us to grow outside of the petrie dish if we've already covered it and drained it's juice. (or just turned it a nasty shade of something smelly)

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 04:15 PM
link   
There would be global laws passed. we would name systems after the original countries on earth. earth would be our pride and classic setting, but as for laws they would exist, but be easily broken and not many people willing to do whatever it takes to get rich and powerful would follow them.

Because space is s o b i g , and because if we could move around like that there would be no way of telling what illegal activites would occur all around. example: an illegal chemical lab the size of texas in space. huge amount of money from it, billions per week, and no way to detect it if its hidden far enough away or inside a planet, etc.

This makes you wonder what types of laws there must be for aliens (assuming they do exist)

[edit on 26-8-2005 by drakefist]

new topics

top topics

join