It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

They call it "The Blob"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I think this could go in Fragial Earth but I will put it here.

www.hfxnews.ca...

“It’s something new. It covers up the bottom and it forms a barrier between fish and what fish feed on, so logically you’d think it could be a problem,” said Page Valentine, a scientist with the agency. “At some point, it could get so pervasive that everybody will realize we’ve got a problem out there, and it’ll be too late.”

Valentine discovered the organism, a simple tunicate with no skeleton that filters plankton, in 2002 on the U.S. side of Georges Bank. He returned in 2003 and found that it was covering an area of at least 15 square kilometres. A year later, a thick carpet of the porridge-like goop had spread over more than 104 square kilometres.

The creature, which measures one to two millimetres individually, attaches itself to rocky bottoms and proliferates rapidly until it creates a sometimes huge carpet that can come between various fish species and their food.

Unique life form

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 01:38 PM
link   
So it's like an algae basically? Hard to tell from the pic on that site.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Nope, it's one of these only bigger. depts.washington.edu...

Roper

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yarcofin
So it's like an algae basically? Hard to tell from the pic on that site.

Nope.Look at Ropers link for a description of it.There was an article in one of our local papers too.There is a colony (if thats what its called?)in outer Casco bay.It is an invasive,non native species to the Northern Atlantic and could potentially disrupt the oceans ecology.

Basically,from what I read it tends to choke off the food supply of the groundfish stocks

new topics

top topics

join