It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if it is true?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Truly, what would you do if you knew something was genuinely real, a

conspiracy perhaps. Would you do anything at all? I think that some of us

know certain theories to be true; subconsiously at least. And you cannot

accept that fact that they be true. And if you knew them to be true, you

might deny it with an excuse you don't even understand! Every day here I

see people with truthful information, that they know and trust. And yet

they do not act on it. They are not prepared, as I think any of us are, to be

exposed to the truth. Perhaps they cannot act, they are not mentally

capable of comprehending what they have come to terms with with,

because of experiencing a life time of creating barriers that restrict

changing belief about certain things that you have come to rely on for

mental stability.When I look at ATS I see people with amazing information,

claiming it to be true, and yet not believing in it themselves, for they have

not acted on it.

If we are to truly believe in these things, then it should be done

over a period of time in which you reconstruct your entire belief system. I

know people who have found physical evidence of an abduction and still

insisted it was a dream. I believe that in order to fully grasp what you have

learned, you must adapt to believe it. I see people learning, but not

adapting. You are smart people, I believe you can do this.

Kushi

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 03:21 AM
link   
It is difficult to believe for a number of reasons. Foremost amongst these is the fact that so many people have been fooled by hoaxes, errors and outright lies in the past that they are dubious of accepting things which are radically outside their worldview. I would like to accept video footage of UFOs, or eye-witness accounts of the New World Order at face value, but the fact is that many of the beliefs espoused by the followers of these conspiracies are so outlandish and without a scrap of tangible, irrefutable evidence that I would be foolish not to be at least a little skeptical.

Furthermore, it's not as simple as waking up and saying "Yes, I believe in the NWO, or aliens, or the Illuminati". The fact is that many of these conspiracies, if they were proven to be real, would demand some form of action on the part of the believer. If, for example, you truly believed in your heart that the government was holding people against their will in underground caverns at Area 51 (just an example), you would be morally bound to act on this information. Doing so would, at the very least, tarnish your credibility and could conceivably cost you your job and relationships.

I personally think that there are people who believe strongly and are remaining silent and not acting, not because they are scared or blocking their beliefs subconsciously, but because they are waiting for evidence that they know will be necessary to convince an unbelieving population.

If, for example, you accused the government of the aforementioned acts, you had best have extremely strong, practically irrefutable evidence, because you will only get one shot at it. After you are dismissed as a crackpot, it is doubtful you will be believed a second time. I am afraid that people are going to remain silent and not act until the evidence appears to substantiate their beliefs and their claims.

[edit on 24/8/05 by Jeremiah25]

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 09:37 AM
link   
There may be a 'doubting Thomas' syndrome out there that makes people demand irrefutable proof of any conspiracy related issue, and the skeptic, agenda-ed debunkers are always waiting in the wings to pounce on and exploit any chinks in the theory and its proof if it threatens their status quo. Conspiracy theories by definition go against the grain of accepted beliefs, and are easily dismissed. This doesn't mean they are all false.

I think most people are moderates in their behavior and beliefs, and it isn't easy to overcome their reluctance to get involved.

There will come times and places, and I will be ready to act on what I know in my heart to be true. My constant effort is directed toward being prepared for those moments when they come.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 09:57 AM
link   

the skeptic, agenda-ed debunkers are always waiting in the wings to pounce on and exploit any chinks in the theory and its proof if it threatens their status quo

Hmm, this provoked two responses when I read it.

The first is simply that I consider myself a skeptic, but I certainly do not "wait in the wings" to destroy any belief or theory that threatens my status quo. It's just that, after so many years of studying numerous paranormal subjects, I still know nothing more than when I began and along the way I have seen innumerable hoaxes, frauds and outright lies, which have become increasingly more complex.

I have seen not one shred of evidence to support any theory put forward regarding UFOs, the NWO, cryptos, or any other "fringe" theory. I have heard convincing and well-spoken arguments, often from members of this very site. But never have I seen anything which I could count as irrefutable evidence. I would like to believe in my heart, as you must Icarus, that at least some of these things were real. But I go where the evidence leads me and at the moment that is towards disbelief. I don't actively seek to debunk theories or ideas, but I do insist that if somebody makes a claim that they know something or have experienced something that the rest of us have not that they support their claim with ample evidence if they wish to be believed. Conspiracy theories may not all be false, but just for once I would like to see some concrete evidence that didn't come from "a trusted source" or "a friend" or "a guy I know who works at Groom Lake/was inside the NWO, etc".

I agree with you that most people are moderate in their behaviour and beliefs, which leads to my second point. The status quo is not always a bad thing. There are times when I would love for something earth-shaking to come along and shake things up a bit. There are days when I would love to see the NWO make a move, just so that the status quo would be shattered and we might see a greater purpose in our lives. But then I look at my wife and imagine the reality of such a situation and what it would cost. And it is a cost that I have no desire to pay.

It would take much to move me to action, even if all pretense of subtlety was discarded and we stood on the brink of enslavement, this is true. But not all who do not act are cowards or Doubting Thomases. Sometimes you just have to consider more than what your morals would have you do.

[edit on 24/8/05 by Jeremiah25]

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I agree with you. I should have narrowed my focus to conspiracy topics in the political, medical, and military forums. Those are the ones that really concern me.

It is one thing to consider yourself a skeptic, another to have an agenda directing your skepticism toward debunking conspiratorial topics in which you may have a stake at risk should the conspiracy be exposed.

Again, I agree that the status quo is not always a bad thing. I have a problem when the status quo disenfranchises a large portion of the populace or public the way I see the status quo in America doing today.

I have had irrefutable (to me), ongoing, paranormal experiences. I am not trying to convince anyone else that they have happened or that they continue to happen to me, I just want to articulate them and receive feedback to achieve greater understanding.

I, too, consider my loved ones, especially my son, and the possible ramifications of my actions. Any action I ever take is carefully considered and directed toward safety and security for my loved ones and myself.

I do at times indulge myself with my posts, however, for the fun of it. I try to always make a clear distinction between supported facts and my personal opinion.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Have you acted on a conspiracy you know to be truthful?

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I am in the process of investigating what could be a major conspiracy in my own life. If you have read any of my threads, especially the ones about the 'real problem', you can decide for yourself. The truth can be 'stranger than fiction'.

Sometimes things just don't add up. At that point, you can just chalk it up and move on, or you can delve a little deeper and see what lurks in the shadows. You may not like what you find, but it will be enlightening

top topics

join