It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The EU and Iran: Diplomacy was a better option?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 09:19 PM
link   
An announcement was made by the French Foreign Ministry spokesman Jean-Baptiste Mattei that may signify the end of EU diplomacy with Iran, mainly due to policy realizations and diplomatic limitations.

The big three of the EU, France, the UK, and Germany, were very eager to prove that they could come to an agreement with Iran with the aim of suspending the Iranian's uranium conversation and enrichment program(s), in exchange for economic and technical assistance, along with political considerations. In the aftermath of the Iraq War, the Europeans were beyond anxious to show and prove that diplomacy was a better option.

Apparently, the realization has settled into the EU big three that their ambitions and desire to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that diplomacy was the ticket has faltered and taken a backseat to reality: that Iran cannot be detered from their goals of converting and enriching uranium. Undoubtedly, the UN Security Council will be informed and discussions will begin on determining if Iran should have sanctions imposed against it.

European powers have called off Aug. 31 talks with Iran over its nuclear programme, France said on Tuesday, marking a breakdown in two years of negotiations with Tehran to halt its sensitive atomic work.

French Foreign Ministry spokesman Jean-Baptiste Mattei said talks on a formal European proposal made earlier this month would not now go ahead because Iran had resumed certain nuclear work in breach of a promise to freeze it while talks lasted.

Britain, France and Germany, acting on behalf of the European Union, put the proposal to Iran in an effort to persuade it to give up nuclear activities the West suspects may be preliminary steps towards making atomic weapons.

“There will, in fact, be no negotiations meeting on Aug. 31 since the Iranians have decided to suspend application of the Paris Agreement,” Mattei told a regular news briefing.

“So by common accord between the three Europeans it is clear that there will be no negotiations meeting ... as long as the Iranians remain outside the Paris Agreement.”

Europeans call off key nuclear talks with Iran

Further mention from the article:

“We will call on the Iranian negotiators to withdraw from the NPT (nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty) and cut the nuclear negotiations,” a speaker told the demonstrators, who chanted: ”Death to the three evil regimes France, Germany and Britain.”

seekerof

[edit on 23-8-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 09:22 PM
link   
the Europeans are giving up???? OMG thats really big news!!!!! after all that talking and arguing it didnt go aniwhere.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 09:37 PM
link   

as quoted by deltaboy
OMG thats really big news!!!!!

Most definately an understatement, deltaboy, but you are correct, it certainly is big news, as well as a big setback.
Interesting it is not being headlined, eh?

seekerof

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Personally I'm not suprised. Even though I was hoping there would be a resolution or at least some sort of compromise, it didnt happen. Diplomacy is certainly better than war. I think the EU was hoping that Iran would be rational, which they turned out not to be. I think the situation is only hurting Iran. The funny thing is it very much resembles an argument between two people.

Have you ever tried to rationalize with someone who is stupid? I dont mean being stupid this one time, I mean down right dumb. Its impossible. Eventually you just say to h-e-double-hockeysticks with it. Does that mean its right to pick a fist fight with them? Probably not, but it does mean that you get to make them understand how really dumb they are and impose sanctions, metaphorically speaking.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Well, that's a shame. But I still stand by my assertion that they took the right option. Trying and failing is better than giving up before you really even begin. Time to see how the UN reacts.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 09:46 PM
link   
This is all posturing for the U.S, the E.U are a bunch of sideliners waiting out to see if the US mainatins supremecy, or falls. The above is only in regards to the nuclear talks if I am not mistaken. As stressed this does not mean that contact will be cut off with Iran, the E.U has too much business with Iran to just cut them off.

The E.U has to wait and see if the U.S will maintain it's superiority, and they are appeasing us as they should. Truthfully they are in a great situation, if the U.S maintains superiority all their investments and way of life is maintained, if the U.S falls then Iran and others convert the sale of oil to Euro's and the world takes a short blow and move on.

IMHO- I think the Iran war is already planned and it is just a matter of time.

www.eubusiness.com...
europa.eu.int...
[edit fo links]

[edit on 23-8-2005 by phoenixhasrisin]

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 07:11 AM
link   
phoenixhasrisin,
Maybe its just me, but I missing you on your mention of if the US maintains superiority. This is in reference to or applied to what exactly?

Can you give further detail/explanation?
Thanks.

seekerof

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Diplomacy was and still is the best option. Unfortunately it takes two to tango and Iran has displayed no interest in really talking. The only thing to do now is impose sanctions and threated to bomb a few of the nuclear sites. Perhaps that will return Iran to the table.

Sep

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Uncle JoeThe only thing to do now is impose sanctions and threated to bomb a few of the nuclear sites. Perhaps that will return Iran to the table.

Oh yes. Lets bomb them. That has got to make them think rationaly and restart the talks with their newly found friends.

Sep

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Galvatron
I think the situation is only hurting Iran. The funny thing is it very much resembles an argument between two people.

Have you ever tried to rationalize with someone who is stupid? I dont mean being stupid this one time, I mean down right dumb. Its impossible. Eventually you just say to h-e-double-hockeysticks with it. Does that mean its right to pick a fist fight with them? Probably not, but it does mean that you get to make them understand how really dumb they are and impose sanctions, metaphorically speaking.

The EU didn’t really offer Iran anything in return for it giving up its right to uranium enrichment. The offers made included: fighting along side Iran against drug dealing from Afghanistan, a problem that has escalated as a result of the invasion of Afghanistan. The joint fight against drug dealers is in the interest of both Iran and Europe so Iran isn’t really winning anything from this offer. The other offer was to include Iran in the talks regarding terrorism in the region. Again nothing really special as Iran already has contacts in the region and the cooperation would benefit both sides not just Iran. They offered to support an Iranian pipeline, which is planned to b built without the help of the Europeans. So this is not really a real positive for Iran. So can someone please tell me why Iranians have to stop their nuclear activities? What was it that they turned down that made them so "dumb"? They were offered a nicely packed empty box and were asked to stop producing vital electricity for their population for nothing. As nice as that may sound I would pass if I were in their shoes.

And btw sanctions may not be the best idea right now, since last time I checked the oil prices was really high and imposing any sanction on Iranian oil industry would lead to oil prices further increasing. Any sanctions on Iran that doesn’t concern the oil industry would have no real effect on Iran.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Could it possibly be that the reason they aren't accepting proposals or negotiating is because they plan on making a nuclear weapon just possibly? Iran sits on one of the largest energy reserves in the world and they decide to spend billions on nuclear energy? Give me a break. I for one hope the US does nothing against Iran or even talks with the regime. We have no crediblity since the Iraq situation. Maybe once Iran is pointing nukes at Europe people will realize these arab dictatorships aren't the wholesome nice people everybody seems to think they are these days. OH! but isn't Iran on the Human Rights commission for the UN? So that means they have peaceful purposes nevermind.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Time to see how the UN reacts.

As usual do nothing to stop Iran, and then blame the US for having the gonads to act on its own.

Oh yes. Lets bomb them. That has got to make them think rationaly and restart the talks with their newly found friends.

No your right we shouldn’t bomb them right away. We should first try to get sanction imposed on them, if that doesn’t work threaten them militarily. If that doesn’t work then we blockade the straight of Hormuns, if that doesn’t work then we bomb them as a last option.

NR

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 10:09 AM
link   

No your right we shouldn’t bomb them right away. We should first try to get sanction imposed on them, if that doesn’t work threaten them militarily. If that doesn’t work then we blockade the straight of Hormuns, if that doesn’t work then we bomb them as a last option.

bro i dont think thats gonna work because whos gonna agree with U.S other than EU, China needs oil badly, india-pakistan are also working on a gas pipeline project with iran so does central asia along with Russia, i doubt sanctions will do anything.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Oh I know sanctions are hopeless cause, but we have to try it to shut up all the people who criticize the US for not being diplomatic enough and for acting by itself.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Oh I know sanctions are hopeless cause, but we have to try it to shut up all the people who criticize the US for not being diplomatic enough and for acting by itself.

While your there can you stop your fellow country men from insulting my continent and implying that we are cowards and dont see threats?

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Sanctions could work if we target something the Iranians actually need. What this is i have no idea, but im sure there must be somthing they need to import that they cant live without.

Alternatively as a consequence of their failure to comply with the demands of the international community the various groups that work to undermine the government could be showered with money, giving the government a problem that wont go away until they do what we want.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
phoenixhasrisin,
Maybe its just me, but I missing you on your mention of if the US maintains superiority. This is in reference to or applied to what exactly?
Can you give further detail/explanation?
Thanks.
seekerof

This is in reference to our current position of virtual global domination, contrary to what some might think the U.S.A's current position in the world is not guaranteed. IMHO-there have never been soo many threats to our way of life as now, which is why we are taking such drastic measures to secure our intererst'.

There are too many things that can arise in the next few years that are very likely to change our position in the world. Sure everyone thinks we can win a war against Iran, then again we thought we could win Iraq, could our economy handle another fiasco that cost's in the billions? I don't think so. Besides that, it Looks like Russia and China are serious about challenging U.S hegemony, and with oil reserves dwindling I am sure they will get more and more serious and time goes on.

That's why I say if, because to me it seems as if it's very probable that the US could be knocked off it's pedestal pretty soon.
Hopefully that clears a bit up.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23

There you go, you've got the right idea. In my mind, it's all about the progression of actions, start at one end, and work your way to the other, making all the appropriate stops.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 02:39 PM
link   
With Russia and China on the UN Security Council, I doubt going to the UN is going to accomplish much either.

The US might choose to use force unilaterally, but it seems likely the Iranians would try to retaliate in some way, and this might ignite a larger conflict than the US intends.

Really I think the Iranians are likely to get the bomb eventually, as long as they're convinced they need them..

I think the US's veiled threats are having the opposite effect from what is intended: instead of convincing Iran it's an unwise option to develop nukes, we're convincing them we intend to attack them anyway, so they'd better get them ready ASAP.

[edit on 8/24/05 by xmotex]

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Uncle Joe
Sanctions could work if we target something the Iranians actually need. What this is i have no idea, but im sure there must be somthing they need to import that they cant live without.

That would be oil, Uncle Joe.
Iran is currently making, at current costs per barrel, roughly $200 million a day off the sale of their oil on the market.

seekerof

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join