It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Prime Minister: Australians who take drugs to Asia are "stupid"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Australian Prime Minister John Howard has indicated that citizens who take drugs with them to Asia should not expect any help from thier government. Labeling the act as "stupid" Howard made the comments following the news of two Australians being detained in Indonesia for drug possession.

news .yahoo.com
SYDNEY (Reuters) - Australians who take drugs into Asia are stupid and should not expect to be bailed out by the Australian government, Prime Minister John Howard said after another two Australians were detained in Indonesia over drugs.

Howard said he could not believe Australians would still risk taking drugs into Asia after the high-profile conviction of beautician Schapelle Corby, who was sentenced to 20 years in prison in May for smuggling 4.2 kg of marijuana into Bali.

"It's beyond belief that any Australian could be so stupid as to carry drugs into any country in Asia," Howard told Australian television late on Tuesday.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

He is spot on IMHO. Who in thier right mind would even risk it? Especially the Islamic countries where the penalties for drug smuggling and possession move far beyond a warm and fuzzy slap on the wrist. Its also about as an un-ambiguous statement you will ever see from a politician anywhere in the world.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Not too many take drugs to Asia from here. More they have a devil of a time contemplating new ways of bringing drugs into Australia from Asia.

I know quite a few regular Asian visitors who partake of recreational substances and they often say to others. Don't take anything with you but over there the police don't care unless your trying to bring it in or take it out. This seems to have changed. The turned away blind eye has opened and people partaking in the Asian countries are being stopped and charged.

I am not crying wrong or right here, what I am saying is that it has changed and only recently with users being charged as well as the traffickers. Maybe if you got caught before all this you would also be charged but it seem that authorties didn't go looking or raid parties and things like that...tourism was more important to them.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Fred T I can't honestly voice my concerns with drugs there and in Canada.
Just don't want to get into trouble on ATS - honestly. Drugs are to Law-Relaxed.

Dallas

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Considering that almost everyone suspected of smuggling drugs into Bali is found guilty, at least, offering legal support etcetera would be a bit of a waste of money.

Though of course, if planting drugs in other peoples' luggage is happening, there'd be nothing to stop it, except for a platinum-plated silver tongue.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 12:48 AM
link   
EVERYONE knows that drugs+Asia= your death. So why try ?.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 01:34 AM
link   
It is a tough one because every country does have it's own laws but sometimes those laws are just ridiculous.

15 years for having in your possession 2 extacy pills for example when in your own country you would get a slap on the wrist if that (if your lucky the cops will just take them from you and no one will ever hear from them again
)

While i respect a country to have it's own laws in regards to drugs and importing/exporting drugs should come with heavy laws, i think there needs to be a system set up between neighbouring countries that are suppose to be friends in which new laws are drawn up that allow the person to be tried in their own country on certain drug charges.

If your caught trying to export/traffic in that country then your an idiot and your fate is your own BUT if your busted after an organised raid and have a small amount of drugs on you which don't carry trafficking laws, that's when the system needs to be changed so Australian government for example will step in, the person will be brought home and charges will be placed which are consistant with the current Australian laws, even if that extradition is at the cost of the person involved.

I think it's way to easy to be framed, caught and used as an example and having 15 years shaved off your life and stuck in a prison because you went to a nightclub and did what most people back home do on the weekends, or worst, you got pills slipped into your possession without knowledge so you'd become an international example when the police raid your location.

Trafficking and possession are two entirely different scenarios.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I agree with the man but, it pains me physically to do so.

Drugs have been growing in Asia since forever. They grow everywhere. Smuggling is a losing proposition no matter how you slice it, unless of course you have govermental protection of some sort, or the ability to travel unmolested, as some folks have.

Those guys make bank, the rest are playing roulette with the law.

When you're a guppy, it is STUPID to swim with sharks. The international drug trade is a jumbo shark tank, filled with some jumbo sharks, and only a fool, or a big, mean, snaggle toothed beast would play in that pool.

The man is right. But he's still a twit in my opinion.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 02:20 AM
link   
True, true.

With drugs, you have to get it from the right place, you know, help the local economy.

The stuff probably comes by the boat load... Not hard to put another underwater cargo hold under your boat, or to retrieve cargo at night.

Such old tricks, yet so effective as to seem cliche.

I mean #,that probably started in the Opium Wars.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xar Ke Zeth
Considering that almost everyone suspected of smuggling drugs into Bali is found guilty, at least, offering legal support etcetera would be a bit of a waste of money.

Though of course, if planting drugs in other peoples' luggage is happening, there'd be nothing to stop it, except for a platinum-plated silver tongue.

Or locks on your luggage like a smart person does when they go on holiday.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Odium
Or locks on your luggage like a smart person does when they go on holiday.

Touche. Unfortunately not all people do so, so there'll always be a couple.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 03:17 AM
link   
What really gets me is that there are Dozens of Australian Citizens of Asian descent on death row in Various Asain countries for drug related charges (some have been executed already), yet as soon as the blue eyes beautician gets caught the media is all over it and it seems like its such a big deal... guilty or not if your going to cover one person cover them all i say... if not... i dont care.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 03:52 AM
link   
FredT
i agree with the PM this is no place to take drugs. The familes must be going through a tough time seeing their loved ones being in this situation

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by specialasianX
What really gets me is that there are Dozens of Australian Citizens of Asian descent on death row in Various Asain countries for drug related charges (some have been executed already), yet as soon as the blue eyes beautician gets caught the media is all over it and it seems like its such a big deal... guilty or not if your going to cover one person cover them all i say... if not... i dont care.

Hmmm, well probably because they are all guilty
Whereas Chappelle Corby seems to have been a victim of bag tampering. Don't try and turn this into a race issue.

PS. The latest Australian girl to be caught and all over the media is Asian. Somehow your argumant just doesn't hold up.

[edit on 24-8-2005 by rogue1]

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I dont even see why this is news.

Next we will have someone saying that drink driving is stupid.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Sorry--wrong thread. Post tranferred to another thread.

[edit on 24-8-2005 by kazi]

top topics

join