It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China wants Moon Base in 2010

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I was sent this email with a link inside from a friend...

www.newsmax.com...

He lives in S. Korea and they hear this kind of stuff all the time but he believes that China is really in to this and will do it.

www.china.org.cn...

Yes China has been orbiting the Earth for quite some time now.

I guess NASA is trying to destroy all its old shuttles so it can get funding from the Gov to build better space based vehicles that can travel to Mars and the moon to beat China. It's not going to be another "Cold War" but a "Space War" against China.

www.spacedaily.com...

Found another article just now

www.cnn.com...

[edit on 23-8-2005 by Isostran]

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 05:48 PM
link   
its about damn time someone tired it

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Sure is smart thinking. As, at least some Governments know to be off this ball before 2012..

Dallas

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I hope they do it. its not about Communism vs. Capitalism anymore its about who can get things done when they say they are going to do it. It is gonna give China a huge head start on the title "Protector of Earth". Its more than that also the Chinese believe the moon is a source of power and right they are, the Moon contains valuable and abundant resources like Titanuim, Hydrogen 5 and other hard to find minereals. Good luck to them and shame on us.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 07:52 PM
link   
This is a lame ass thead.

Why: The article is over 3 years old for starters. and its speculation, not a real timeline. The truth is China will launch a moon orbiter in 2007, the earliest a Chinese will set foot on the moon is 2015, and even that wont be on there own technology, he will be a passenger on Russia's (future planned) Kliper spacecraft.

For the record: the US will have a base there before China.

Isostran - What uses would Hydrogen 5 be?
Titanium and Helium 3 are some of the best moon resources.

Isostran
I guess NASA is trying to destroy all its old shuttles so it can get funding from the Gov to build better space based vehicles that can travel to Mars and the moon to beat China. It's not going to be another "Cold War" but a "Space War" against China.

huh? Nasa's trying to keep em running for another 5 years...not destroy them.

and "Space War"????? What war, several nations want to go into the moon, and the moon has plenty of room, there wont be any wars for any of it.

jra

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Isostran
I was sent this email with a link inside from a friend...

www.newsmax.com...

He lives in S. Korea and they hear this kind of stuff all the time but he believes that China is really in to this and will do it.

Well that's the plan, but we'll have to wait and see how there space program develops. They still got a ways to go before setting up a base on the Moon. I wish them good luck though.

www.china.org.cn...

Yes China has been orbiting the Earth for quite some time now.

I wouldn't say they've been orbiting the Earth for quite some time. They've sent one astronaut into space and that's it. But they will be sending two more into space again soon later this year.

I think it's silly and sort of ignorant to say that NASA is destroying it's shuttles. Accidents happen. Purposely destroying there shuttles will do the opposite of getting them more money to get new space craft.

There isn't going to be a "space war" as you put it. There may be some compitition between the two space agencies, but they do get along fine with one another.

[edit on 23-8-2005 by jra]

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 08:46 PM
link   
it would never happen China does not have the means or funding to get to the moon much less build a base on the moon.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I guess I should state my Facetiousness next time

I dont mean a war as in conflict, I meant a sort of chess game to keep progress and nationalism in check. I know that soudns alot like Jingoism but its a big difference. The destroying of the space shuttles isnt a ethical choice for you or me but sending 100k troops to Iraq like myself to get limbs blown off or even get killed doesnt sound ethical either but its a means to an end to get funding for what the Gov wants. The manner in which I speak of destroying the shuttles is more of a finacial one than a direct shot, the Shuttle budget runs about $4 billion per year, ... or 1% of the Shuttle program's budget while destroying about 90% of its scientific value. Therefore rendering NASA underfunded and not being able to repair or service existing capsules. I know this is an old subject but its been reopened "Sorry Murcielago" seems you dont like this subject and yes I made a mistake on Hydrogen 5 it is Helium 3. BTW Hydrogen 5 or 5H ( otherwise known as plasmashield) was discovered in 2001 and they use it as a simple Asphyxiant. Thats all I know about it.

apc

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Huh huh huh their 'spacesuits' look like those used in the Gemini missions 50 years ago!

Titanium sure... but we have plenty of it here. Harvesting it on the Moon would maaaaybe reduce the cost a small percentage. But the infrastructure that would need to put in place along with all the other overhead... transportation and whatnot, would mean a small percentage decrease in cost would be lucky.

Helium 3... we can't even use it yet. By all estimates we're 100 years from that technology.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 03:43 AM
link   
I would not underestimate China in the slightest people.

The American Space program has always been at its most sucessfull when backed by those in power. As many of the sources show the Chinese have the political will which is massivly important.

As regards to their space program, I'll tell you a story. A few years ago I was reading my science magazine (which has since gone out of print sadly
). It had devoted a page to analysing the Chinese space program. Apparently pictures of the new rockets had leaked out showing both the rocket as well as the Chinese equivelant of the Vehicle Assembly Building. Now 3/4 of the "experts" quoted on that article dismissed the Chinese pictures as fakes citing numerous reasons that I won't go into. Now 5 years down the line what do the Chinese do? They launch a manned rocket into space which is exactely what the 1/4 of the other experts said they would be doing. It just goes to show.

As for a base on the moon? Why not. The Chinese economy is booming. Chinese power is rapidly growing and most importantly Chinese demand for energy is multiplying massivly. To the Chinese leadership it may appear that putting a base on the moon is logical. Why? Well the Western world should have cracked Fusion by the time the moon base . By mining the moon, the Chinese could prehaps reach a deal with the West whereby the Chinese get the technology and in return the West gets H3 for clean Fusion reactions. (Or prehaps the Chinese have their own plans for Fusion. Anyone know of plans for this? If so U2U me, Id be very interested to know but don't want to derail the thread!)

Additionally the Chinese are rather adapt at copying. And why not. If something works, why bother starting again from scratch. This makes sense as part of China's long term goals, because RnD takes time. China wants to be a superpower and wants to be one fast. If it does the same with Rockets it can easily catch up to the US who I might add seem to have lost their way. Apollo was bloody fantastic. The goal should then have been to build a base on the moon and create the technology to do that in a much cheaper way but instead we have this useless Space Station which we probably won't even finish and it will be years before the CEV is ready.

In short get use to the idea of the Chinese on the moon. They want it and it will happen people, mark my words. This is the Space race round 2. The US won last time but now there are three players US/China and Russia/EU. Things are going to get interesting

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Time for a Cold war with China....

Need to keep them broke. Hey, anybody who can get to the Moon has the right to, but I am a blind patriotic American, and think we should be there first!

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I think britain should be there first because well we dont get that much TV time anymore!

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Maybe they can solve the issue as to whether there are alien bases on the Moon. Some folks seem to think that the US was warned off by ET's that have already established bases there. Seems very strange that the US hasn't even attempted to go back in all these decades since the last moon mission. If China or anyone else can get there then that is just fine with me. Then maybe that will make the US forget about the damn ISS and do something besides orbit the entire earth for a change. Even if they do make it in 2010 or 2012 you still have to remember that the US was there in the '60's for gods sake.

edited: profanity

[edit on 24-8-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 01:02 PM
link   
It's amazing with the proper funding agency what a country can accomplish

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Someone had better stop planning to go terraform a planet (or moon) and better start heading there because that would be great for the space age.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 02:00 PM
link   
i thought we can't build any base on the moon as no one owns them.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Both of those astronauts have looks on their faces like they just wizzed inside their suits and none of the media horde is any wiser to it. Kind of like taking a wizz in the pool.

The Chinese will get run off the moon same as the United States was.

Peace

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ulshadow
i thought we can't build any base on the moon as no one owns them.

Of course you can build a base, as big as you want, it just cant be military.

Aries Rebellion Leader ()whew, long name)
- I think you meant START and not STOP...right?

enslaved83 - Underestimated!...I think most people overestimate what China can do, and how (or lack there of) advanced they are.

and there not as advanced as the US is, I would say there still aways behind...like around 20 years. But if they REALLY wanted to out-do Nasa's spacecraft, it wouldn't be to hard. I think its a damn shame that were still using rockets. Or at least use a jet aircraft to get your craft going over 500 mph and 40,000 feet up...thats a big boost.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 03:12 PM
link   
It's "Their" not "There", for god sake, spell it right.

There: a place.
Their: belongs to them.
They're: they are.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snoopdopey
It's "Their" not "There", for god sake, spell it right.

There: a place.
Their: belongs to them.
They're: they are.

listen...I'm glad your 6th grade teacher has you spellin like a pro, but how about you go do some homework or somethin.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join