It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japanese Concorde

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 03:33 PM
link   

The test - coming three years after the first trial ended in crash-and-burn when the vehicle detached prematurely from the booster rocket - will see the SST carried to an altitude of 12.4 miles before release at Mach 2. After a 15-minute flight, the SST will float gently to earth by parachute.

I think the rocket is only for the scale model test flights, it sounds like they dont want to spend the money on making mini mach 2 capable engines (which makes perfect sense), and so the model will just be a glider, and there going to be able to test its design by using a rocket which will get it up to mach 2, and then detatch, and the model plane will glide till its stopped on the ground. So I think the real one wont have a rocket under it...which is deffiniatly a good thing.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   

WyrdeOne
Am I mistaken in thinking that the only reason composites like carbon fiber are overall better is because they lack rivets that require constant maintenance? Don't get me wrong, the idea of gallavanting around the stratosphere in a metal bucket doesn't suit me any better, but I think the rivets are the maintenance headache, not the metal.

true...and I was also talking about just general metal fatigue over the span of its life.

There are Commercial Aircraft flying around today with composites used...but the 787 will have the most composites used in its construction, more then any other airliner. and I doubt it will take off and explode.

Rocketing into the upper aptmosphere in plastic tubes strapped with rockets is Wile E. Coyote #

thats a good one

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Off_The_Street

As near as I can figure out, there are only two competing approaches to long-distance passenger flight that seem to have a chance: The first is the whalemobile like the A380 -- designed and built by the Servants of Satan -- to cram six hundred people into an aircraft which will fly from hum to hub and rely on smaller airplanes to take them from the hub to the spoke airports.

The second approach (chosen by the Good Guys) is to have a super-efficient plastic airplane like the 787 Dreamliner carry three hundred people over any 11,000 mile or longer flight, sacrificing the sardine approach for the capability to land at either hub or spoke airports.

[edit on 23-8-2005 by Off_The_Street]

My uncle said something a great deal like this. I have to agree that hacing a lot of lil planes that go anywhere is better than a whaladon of a plane going to big places like LA or Tokyo or Heathrow. Administration and stuff may be a bit messy with more traffic and lots of planes tho.

Back to the issue at hand

I think that Japan's idea is great, a high-speed flight to major airports. But it MUST BE AFFORDABLE. Having extra hours of productivity is GREAT. And I hate long flights. But there's no reason for souch a massive price tag. I mean, sure it should be a lil bit more expensive, but it should be WORTH the few dollars more you'd have to shell out.

Great post

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Off_The_Street
The first is the whalemobile like the A380 -- designed and built by the Servants of Satan.........

........But then again, I work for The Boeing Company.

- OTS you're projecting again mate!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join