It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Sattelite images reveal ancient bridge connecting India and Sri Lanka

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 11:26 AM
link   
This article claims NASA Sattelite images reveal ancient bridge connecting India and Sri Lanka, the images are real enough, but perhaps the article is streatching it too far when saying it is a bridge rather than a natural ridge. Decide for yourself.

Article is here:
www.indolink.com...

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Wow, that is pretty amazing. I can't tell if it was man made or natural but perhaps we have some experts on the site that could lend a hand. Great post, got any more pics?

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 11:36 AM
link   
If its man made why is it wobbly? Ability to build hundreds of miles of bridge but no rulers?

Looks like a natural formation, perhaps a volcanic ridge similar to the one Hadrians Wall is built on.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by anniejhops
Wow, that is pretty amazing. I can't tell if it was man made or natural but perhaps we have some experts on the site that could lend a hand. Great post, got any more pics?

There are several in the article, I copied them here for you convinience:

eol.jsc.nasa.gov...
eol.jsc.nasa.gov...
eol.jsc.nasa.gov...
eol.jsc.nasa.gov...
eol.jsc.nasa.gov...
eol.jsc.nasa.gov...
eol.jsc.nasa.gov...
eol.jsc.nasa.gov...
eol.jsc.nasa.gov...
eol.jsc.nasa.gov...

[edit on 23-8-2005 by anorwegianguy1972]

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Lets try not to take such a simplictic view of this, especially without reading the article explaining the pictures. If the bridge was man-made, then the legend surrounding it indicates that it would be about 1.7 million years old. Over that time, I would imagine that erosion, ocean currents, etc. would have demolished the structure, leading me to believe that this is not a likely scenario. If it is man-made (at likely of much more recent construction than the legend of Rama would have it), then ocean currents are likely to have shifted the structure to have the curvature shown in the photos.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I agree, we have to take into account environmental factors:

Im am sceptical about the whole man made bridge thing. If would have to be massive to be seen from Space at the scale it is shown. A simple sweep of the ocean floor would indicate debris from the building/maintenance of such a thing. Then we have Tsunamis' etc etc which the bridge would have to contend with, stroms etc etc. I really doubt that a bridge made with that level of technology could survive long at all. I grew up in a small port called Whitby. I know what the sea can do and have seen its effects on the piers at Whitby. The piers there have only been there a short time (in the scale of things) and already the sea has caused massive damage and these are made of stone ond concrete!

In addition we must also remember that continents drift. Sri Lanka was at one point part of India. I would be money that tectonic plate shift has caused what you see in the photo.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 02:29 AM
link   
It doesn't take a geologist. Just have a look at the ridges on either landmass which connect to the "bridge". It's just a low point on a ridge that is submerged.

There was an Indian communist website that presented a pretty sound debunking of this thing as part of their opposition to Hinduism, but unfortunately that page is gone now and I don't remember all of the debunking info they provided.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 02:40 AM
link   
What great shots from space!

I think it's most likely natural. A continuation of the ridges that you can see coming from each landmass.

Very unusual, thanks for bringing it to our attention.

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 08:05 PM
link   
There is a lot to be said for mythologies, man are men of interlect not fools, Mythologies are resources more reliable than are given credit for. I no there is no profe either way but i wouldn't be at all surprised if it where man made as humans are pretty amazing when it comes down to resourcefulness. It certainly would have eroded over time or it may very well be natural.

Whatever the case....very good piccy

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 02:05 PM
link   
This is similar to the bridge built by Ramayana, but most legends always stem out of fantasy by using natural earth movements, in this case an earthquake which forced this land bridge to rise from the water, as a tool for explaining the supernatural or god like figures, such as Ramayana.

www.vedicheritage.org...
www.rense.com...
gauranga.org...
www.hpnadig.net...

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   
This "bridge" is the result of deposits of silt by currents in the area.

The "bridge" has been cut through a couple of times in the last 100 years to facilitate the movement of ships. No evidence of artificial structure was found.

The "bridge" is not a new discovery in the least (Of course, this is obvious if you think about it.) NASA has disavowed everything these tabloids have said about it.

This story was originally circulated by a Hindu religious group. If you didn't know, Hindus believe modern humans have been on Earth for millions of years. On this subject they are about as believable as Fundamentalists are on the subject of Noah.

I learned all this stuff when doing research to refute this story at another message board, but I apparently didn't save any links to the websites I used. I encourage everyone to google the thing with "Nasa" and maybe "debunk" or "explained" along with "Ceylon, Sri Lanka, Ancient Bridge, and Adam's Bridge" (one of it's earlier names) to find out more.

Harte

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by The Vagabond

hello this is vatsa yeah u r guess is right this is the ancient bridge that was built so many years ago i dont know abt the structure but this bride was built by ramas army the troops built this bridge with huge stones by writing his name on this stones. The reason behind building this bridge was that rama and his troop vanaras marched to srilanka to kill ravana as rava ruled srilanka for 500 years and the only reason he was killed coz of kidnapping ramas wife sita. Before this bride was built rama send his troops to all 4 directions, i dont remember exactly but sightings of vanaras were found even in rajastan, at last hanuma the dearest devotee of rama crossed 7 seas and saw sita in lanka and thus he came to rama, So vanaras decided to uilt the bride coz all are not like hanuma hanuma is an incarnation of lord shiva well any how that was a diff story. U may ask how the stones do float by writing name of rama on it, because he is an incarnation of lord vishnu. And even today in rameshwaram i.e in tamil nadu u can find floating stones even id heard abt that but donno how far it is real

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Beautiful pictures, but that's about the extent of it.

It's obviously just part of a natural land mass that is partially submerged. Does get the old mind cranking though doesn't it? The idea of million year old bridge is really something isn't it?

Sadly that's not what we have here. Thanks for posting these pictures though, they really are spectacular.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I am from india. And no matter what everyone says i believe that bridge was made by rama's army. the reasons have been posted 2 posts earlier. i would only like to say that as we believe that it was made for god and the stones floated on water, they could surely withstand the forces of natuer.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Nemaste!

So belief wins out over science? Are you a member of the BJP? To whom are you a devotee?

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by anorwegianguy1972

I can't get any of those links to work! Whaaaaaa! Sorry for the one liner!

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by space cadet
reply to post by anorwegianguy1972

I can't get any of those links to work! Whaaaaaa! Sorry for the one liner!

They are working for me - try going directly to Nasa or copy and past the URL from the property menu when you right click on the links

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 07:28 AM
link   
i am from India and i feel whethere the brigde is man made or natural, it is about time we indians stop living in the past and start living in the present. No indian / Hindu as far as i know ever lives they way a hundu is supposed to, so why this crase to prove a relegion which is not practiced?? or why have a relegion at all?? cant we, all the people all over the world, just fight for bread and get it over with?? relegion is just one of the ways to living but, not the only way.

Abhimanyu
abhimr at yahoo

new topics

top topics

join