It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: No Poultry Ban for the UK

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 01:38 AM
link   
The UK has decided not to follow its European neighbours, the Netherlands, in their efforts to prevent the spreading of bird flu. The Dutch are planning to bring millions of birds, chickens, ducks and geese indoors. Germany is currently deciding whether it too should follow suit and impose a ban. The Department for Food, Environment and Rural Affairs (Defra) feels that such action from the UK is not needed as there is a chance that the virus will not spread to Europe.

news.bbc.co.uk
The UK has no plans to follow the Dutch move to prevent the spread of bird flu by banning farmers from keeping fowl outdoors, the government says.
The measures were put in place in the Netherlands after an outbreak of bird flu was confirmed in Russia.

The Department for Food, Environment and Rural Affairs (Defra) said similar UK action would be disproportionate.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I am unsure how to read between the lines here. This is not the first time the UK is holding back on bans and antiviral vaccines. The bottom of this article says that they don't have anything to prevent the disease from spreading between birds and no medication to give them if they do get infected, so everything is a precautionary measure. Does the UK think nothing will happen here? Are they not willing to take even the slightest chance to save lives? A few years ago the Netherlands had to cull a fifth of their poulty because of a bad outbreak, so I see why they are willing to take this chance now. Does anyone else agree that perhaps something should be done just in case?

[edit on 23-8-2005 by nikelbee]

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Complete lunacy if you ask me. Just what exactly do we pay our taxes for? So our government can play chicken (sorry for the pun) with the deadliest flu pandemic in history? Why would they not jump at the chance to do ANYTHING and everything to mitigate the spread of this flu.

For a country that is an island with high concentration of birds everywhere you'd think we'd do anything that could lessen the outbreak. I can understand the government not wanting another repeat of what mad-cow disease and the massive government interventions did to this country and its image but this is just amazing.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 10:12 AM
link   
The conservative approach of the UK makes me nervous. Isn't there some peaceful medium in between panicked and unprepared? Is there an agenda here or a reluctance to act because they are sitting back with a 'wait and see' attitude?

As you say Subz, the government seems to be playing 'chicken'. I don't agree that is the best way to when it might mean the lives of other people. Then again I am not an expert. Still 'well it MIGHT not happen,' doesn't seem ideal.

Sure it may not happen and the world will all be the better for it right? So they spend a little money and maybe look a little foolish by running out and stocking up but so what? Didn't Mad Cow teach people anything?

Besides, a few other countries are taking this threat seriously, why can't we?

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Did a little searching around and found this as a possible contributing reason for the no ban.

Meanwhile, the National Farmers' Union warned that eggs produced in Britain would lose their free range status if chickens are kept indoors to stop them catching avian flu.

And this from the same article:

Mr Bourns said UK farmers would support similar measures but was concerned about the impact on free range and organic farmers who account for around 27 per cent of egg production.

Tell me this isn't about money?

(to include link)
thescotsman.scotsman.com...

[edit on 23-8-2005 by nikelbee]

new topics

top topics

join