It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Attack versions of WW2 bombers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2003 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Does anyone have any information about the ground attack versions of WW2 bombers. I think Germany and the USA had them but I do not have much info on them. Any info or pics would be nice.

posted on Aug, 31 2003 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Us had its "Invader" medium bomber turned to ground attack plane (8x0.50cal forward firing MG:s) , and Germany had at least Ju-88 (medium) and He-177 (heavy) bombers modified to tank busting duties.. armed with 7,5cm PAK 40 at-cannon.

posted on Aug, 31 2003 @ 09:08 PM
link   
There was a ground attack version of the B-25 Mitchell, with 8 M2 .50 machine guns fixed forward firing, placed in the bombardier compartment. This was combined with the other 4 pod mounted .50 machine guns and an internally mounted autoloading 75mm cannon (same as on the Sherman Tank).

I understand this version was widely used for anti-shipping duties as the cannon was far more accurate than dropping bombs, and one well placed shell could easily sink most ships.

posted on Aug, 31 2003 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Dragonrider, at leat one 75mm cannon version of the B-25 was not autoloading, the bombadier sat on a set next to the breech and loaded it by hand. They hated this version since they were sitting right next to the breach when the weapon was fired. Pilot's didn't like this version either since the plane had to be flown very straight to be able to aim and fire the weapon. After a few months of operation, most of the 75mm armed B-25's had the 75mm removed and replaced with 4 50 cal machine guns. Reference Green's "Famous Bombers of World War II". Also there were versions of the J-88 with a solid nose and armed with several 7.65 mm machines for ground attack. The Germans painted the nose of these ground attack J-88's to simulate the transparency of a normal bomber. This was believed to be a means of enticing Russian fighter pilots to make head on attacks.

posted on Sep, 1 2003 @ 08:20 AM
link   

B-26K "Invader" in VIETNAM.

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 05:37 AM
link   
I'm only familiar with the Invader. The bomber version was the B-26 and the attack version was the A-26.

Tim

posted on Sep, 11 2022 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: ghost
I'm only familiar with the Invader. The bomber version was the B-26 and the attack version was the A-26.

Tim

This thread is 19 years old, but I should note that the first aircraft with the B-26 designation was the Martin B-26 Marauder. When the USAAF (USAF after 1947) in 1946 decided to classify all attack aircraft as light bombers rather than attack aircraft, dropping the A-for-Attack category, the B-26 Marauder medium bomber had been already retired from service by the Army Air Force, in which case the A-26 was redesignated B-26. More than 40 Invaders were converted to the B-26K Counter Invader, which was designed for the COIN role; in the late 1960s, the B-26K was redesignated A-26A because the Thai government would not allow bomber aircraft to be based in Thailand.

posted on Sep, 11 2022 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a bunch of B25s were modified in the Pacific theater for antiship use.

they proved their worth in the Battle of the Bismarck Sea, wiping out a Japanese convoy.

ironic since the Japanese proved the value of air power over ships (Pearl Harbor, Force Z).

they would fly low and strafe the Japanese ships (given them a 'haircut'), suppressing the AA, followed by the heavier armed planes blasting the decks.

new topics

top topics

join