It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon would sell Singapore weapons for F-15s if it picks F-15s over Rafale

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 10:40 PM
link   

The Pentagon notified the US Congress Monday of a possible sale to Singapore of up 741 million dollars' worth of weapons, logistics and training as part of a proposed F-15 fighter sale.
The weapons include advanced supersonic air-to-air missiles and satellite-guided bombs.

The weapons include 200 AIM 120C Advanced Medium Range Air-to-Air Missiles (AMRAAM); 50 Joint Direct Attack Munitions (JDAMs) with 500-pound warheads; 30 AGM 154A-1 Joint Standoff Weapons with 500-pound warheads; 30 AGM 154C Joint Standoff Weapons; and 200 AIM 9X Sidewinder missiles.

Nice deal.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 10:41 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Why does Singapore need F-15 or Rafale. It don't think they have any kind of big enemies that would require for them to buy those planes?

Wouldn't some F-16 be enough. besides each F-15 is bigger than the country

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Why would they sell them the AIM-120C for the F-15? The "C" model has smaller controll surfaces to fit in the internal bays of the F-22. The F-15 does not have such a restriction

iris_failsafe: The F-15 or the Rafale would be a better choice as they would get a bigger fighter that can handle a variety of roles esp. the maritime strike aspect plus greater range for overwater missions.

The F-16 can perform these roles, but the F-15 esp. if the get the AESA radar would be a strong choice.

[edit on 8/23/05 by FredT]

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Singapore always has these petty disputes with Malaysia..

1. Singapore imports most of its fresh water from Malaysia..
2. Singapore exports almost all of its garbage to Malaysia..

Malaysia just acquired these Su-30MKMs from Russia..
Supposedly way superior to the current top dawg in RSAF..F-16 blk 15.

Plus they(RSAF) were in India for a recent air exercise with the InAF Su-30MKIs..
I don't think the Malay Su-30MKMs are as good as the Indian MKIs but the RSAF must have got a first hand experience of how their F-16s match up to the Su-30s

The results of that exercise were never disclosed for "security" reasons..
But the encounter may have prompted the RSAF to go hunting for better planes..

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 02:35 AM
link   
I think we already got some AIM-120C after Russia sold AA-12 to Malaysia along with those Su-30.

Pic Of dummy AIM-120C on RSAF F-16

The best part i think is we are getting those AIM-9X!

Daedalus3 i think those A/B models are already given to Thailand, all we have now is those Blk 52+.

I dun think Singapore wanted to buy new fighters after the exercise with IAF which i think was held last year. It is already old news(3 years ago?) that Singapore wanted to buy new fighters to replace A-4. I read from the newspaper sometime ago that RSAF put emphasis on those AESA radar on its consideration. That's the main reason Eurofighter was kicked out.

[edit on 23-8-2005 by NotheRaGe]

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by iris_failsafe
Why does Singapore need F-15 or Rafale. It don't think they have any kind of big enemies that would require for them to buy those planes?

Wouldn't some F-16 be enough. besides each F-15 is bigger than the country

RSAF F16s are regularaly in Oz, that's the only time I've seen Fighting Falcon in the flesh, err, aluminium.

There is a certain argument for having larger jets, look at the Tornado compared to the Starfighter, or the low 20-series Migs compared to the Phantom and Eagle.

Plus, it's not like you can make an argument that Singapore need to cut down on defence and spend more on health and education, so why not have the best?

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Jeesus... that can't be good... The only reson why they would do a such thing is becauuse they don't trust in their own plane...

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 12:54 PM
link   

top topics

join