It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USB Flash/Thumb/Pen Drive...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2003 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Anyone use one of these? I'm buying a 256MB version tomorrow for college computer classes. They look pretty cool! I wish I could afford the ones that are 1GB and up. I wonder what size and type of storage devices we will have 10 years from now.

posted on Aug, 31 2003 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I hope they'll be bootable within the next few years... Usb should be made bootable... If it's possible...

posted on Aug, 31 2003 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Depending on which models you buy you can get bootable ones already. I just depends if your bios will accept booting from other sources. I think that when the 1 tera byte HDD comes in then USB pen drives will cease to exist.

posted on Aug, 31 2003 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJDOHBOY
Depending on which models you buy you can get bootable ones already. I just depends if your bios will accept booting from other sources. I think that when the 1 tera byte HDD comes in then USB pen drives will cease to exist.

Only if the 1 tera byte HDDs are VERY small and portable will they make the USB pen drive cease to exist. The Pen Drive is a USB FLASH MEMORY DRIVE and can support up to 2GB disk space, which is 1400 times more than a 1.44MB floppy disk. The Pen Drive USB flash disk is a plug and play device, just simply plug into any USB port and the computer will automatically detect it as another removable drive. Now you can read, write, copy, delete and move data from your hard disk drive to the Pen Drive or from the Pen Drive to your hard disk drive. You can even play MP3 files, run applications or view videos directly from the Pen Drive and a lot more.....
The Pen Drive also supports flash ROM (EEPROM) for ISP (In-System Programming). You can change / update the PenDrive USB flash drive firmware anytime and anywhere through USB port. For security demand, you can use the Pen Drive as a key to valuable information on your hard disk drive. With out the key (which is the Pen Drive), the data is not accessible.

The Pen Drive is so compact that you can carry with you anywhere and you hardly notice its existence. It also comes in various storage capacities of 16MB, 32MB, 64MB, 128MB, 256MB, 512MB, 1GB and 2GB, so now you don't have to carry a laptop computer with you to work. The Pen Drive does not require any battery, it does not need any software or cables and it is compatible with IBM PC / compatible desktop and laptop computers with USB or USB 2.0 port.

[Edited on 1-9-2003 by Hyperspace]

posted on Aug, 31 2003 @ 07:38 PM
link   
If you know what maxtor and seagate were working on youd be very happy thats all i can say.

posted on Aug, 31 2003 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Just thinking about that makes me salivate!

posted on Aug, 31 2003 @ 07:53 PM
link   
What the hect would you put in a 1 tera byte hdd???

The whole video collection from your nearby video rental???

Blockbuster in your drive???

Flight Simulator 2035 live and in 10mm detail???

posted on Aug, 31 2003 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Programs, games, etc. keep getting bigger and bigger.

posted on Aug, 31 2003 @ 08:00 PM
link   
�and for bragging rights!

posted on Aug, 31 2003 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I use one....love it to death... Allows me to move stuff between my home PC, laptop, and work PC pretty easily... Can't think of what I did without one....

posted on Sep, 1 2003 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I have a small one - 16mb - and find it really useful - moving presentations to machines etc. Best of all it was a free gift from one of the Software companies last year ! - that kind of increases its usefulness again hehe

posted on Sep, 1 2003 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I got my 256MB USB2.0 Flash Drive today...love at first sight!!!

posted on Sep, 1 2003 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I've got a 128mb pendrive that also plays mp3's. I love it.

I've also got a 40 gig portable firewire HDD. That is the ultimate in portable storage.

posted on Sep, 1 2003 @ 05:45 PM
link   
ive never bothered with all this usb storage...

i just use zip discs 100mb and 250mbs and 730mb cd's
and 4.7gb dvds..

i got internal zip drive. dvd rw and cd rw... so i dont have to worry about much..

infact i did have 3 computers at one point...

i want to save up for an apple laptop...

posted on Sep, 1 2003 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Got a pair of 128 MB thumb drives. Love'em!!!

posted on Sep, 1 2003 @ 05:48 PM
link   
JESUS CHRIST.. I JUST LOOKED ON www.apple.com

they got a g5 out wow!

The Power Mac G5 is the world�s fastest personal computer and the first with a 64-bit processor � which means it breaks the 4 gigabyte barrier and can use up to 8 gigabytes of main memory. The new G5 processor � available at speeds up to dual 2GHz with a new ultrahigh-bandwidth system architecture featuring AGP 8X and PCI-X � makes the Power Mac G5 a breakthrough in desktop processing power

posted on Sep, 1 2003 @ 05:54 PM
link   
bloody hell i bet thats great for 3d modeling photoshop dtp ect ect music making...

posted on Sep, 1 2003 @ 09:38 PM
link   
How much hard drive space does everyone have?

My primary PC has 90GB (two 45GBs).

I'm only using about 15GB.

posted on Sep, 2 2003 @ 09:22 AM
link   

I've also got a 40 gig portable firewire HDD. That is the ultimate in portable storage.

Someone gets the cyber-geek of the week award, hehe...
(just kiddin'....)

I've got a 20gig, and it's more than enough for what I do....

posted on Sep, 2 2003 @ 09:49 AM
link   
re: mac G5, let's hope so because the G4's can't handle ****! They're really slow and pretty much unusable, fingers x'd for my sanity's sake...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join