It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone here have a can of Pringles?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Im eating some pringles today, when I look at the side of the can by the nutritional information.

Im in Canada so we have french and english on the packaging... nothing new there...

But off to the side, the left side of the distributer information, is a message in another language, and I dont know what language its even in.

whats the deal with that?

Ive never seen the writing on any other packaging ever...

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Maybe it is Spanish.:w::w:

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Its not spanish. Here it is...

Hebrew???

I still dont understand why this is on the package...

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 01:15 AM
link   
I want a can of Pringles right now because of this. As to why the whatever it was is in Hebrew, I don't know.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Lol. I tried to look it up a bit, someone else was talking about this on another forum.

They said it didnt all match hebrew.

I dont think its arabic, but some of the letters almost fit.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Looks Hebrew.

It probably means its Kosher

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 02:12 AM
link   
A friend suggested that. I havnt seen it on any other products though.

Im wondering if its on American packaging as well.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Yep, that's Hebrew. I work with an Orthodox Jew who knows Hebrew very well (and is very cool). I'll hopefully have a translation for you tomorrow.

Oh, and what's the deal with Canada selling Katsup flavored Pringles and chips?

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Ketchup chips are good, yet i dont like ketchup lol.

We also have dill pickle .. everything.... lol

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 02:36 AM
link   
We have dill pickle too. We just don't have katsup (Ketchup?). I tried some; couldn't believe it when I saw them in the airport in Halifax.

All I can say is one word:

awful.

...But that's irrelevent to the thread, and I seem to have tried to change the subject. I'm guessing it is some kind of Kosher message, but I haven't seen one like that. I'll get a translation is my buddy is so kind to you tomorrow if I remember, which I probably will. Time for bed

[edit on 8-23-2005 by junglejake]

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 04:14 PM
link   
It looks a lot like Hebrew. I just don't know what is says. I'm not Hebrewneeze!!!

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 04:28 PM
link   
It certifies that it is, in fact kosher, and that it is neutral (not meat or dairy). The second line explains that it was checked under the authority of the O-U, and then says it was under the authority of the head rabinate of Israel.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 04:30 PM
link   
That U in the circle means it's kosher, so I'm going to say Hebrew too. That particular mark is from the The Union of Orthodox Jewish Congregations.

And ketchup chips rock my world!!!! I have a box at home in the cupboard, but they are Old Dutch (good Canuck brand).

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I've got 3 cans of Pringles in my house, original, pizza flavored and chili cheese flavor. btw I'm in south florida

No funky writing on any of them.

The nutritional info is only in two languages english and spanish...

now that I've popped the top...I can't stop...

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 04:46 PM
link   
My boss was suprised to see that that much information was on a can of Pringles until I told him it was from Canada. They don't put that on those in the US, usually just the symbol will do. My last post was my boss's translation, but he couldn't read the first word on the third line -- too blurry

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Cool, I learnt something new.

Thanks for the info.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Any of you know if Canada has different copyright laws than the US does? In the US, the O U symbol is trademarked, so, like a CE mark, you have to go through the ropes to get certified to have that symbol on your products. Here, all you need is a U circled. In Canada, though, it appears as though you can't trademark a symbol and have to have words with it. That's the only reason I can think of that the certified kosher symbols have the explanation...

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I just checked a few items in my fridge and they only have the symbol so this isn't a copyright issue. But my mustard is kosher.

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps they are exporting to Israel. Israel requires the Hebrew lettering on any imports.
I think an email to Pringles may be in order. I wonder if they will answer me?

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 10:28 PM
link   
First, I'm sure they will. It might be a couple of days, but I'm sure they will. You'd be suprised how many wing-nuts are out there who are convinced that anyone with a kosher symbol on their products are slaves of "the Jew" (because they, unlike any other people on the planet, all work towards the same goal and are part of the same global domination club
). It's actually sad, and I'm sure their customer service department would be more than happy to answer a coherent letter about the Hebrew for a change.

As to imports to Israel, they are like the EU. They require labels, ingredients, etc. to be in Hebrew. There can be other languages, too, but the Hebrew has to be there, too. Kind of like Canada with English and French.

I'm curious as to why they do that; it seems like a lot of extrenious information that someone who eats Kosher wouldn't need to know. I would be like a label that says

Made in the USA
[insert flag image here] By directive of American business
Under the president of the United States
Located in North America

For the most part, people who look for the "Made in the USA" wouldn't need that extra info. All that would do, in my mind (I may have been an ATS member for too long
), would be to cause some people to wonder if there was a conspiracy going on.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I sent them an email asking about it. I'll let you know what they say. Hopefully I didn't come off sounding like a 'wing nut'. I wouldn't want to end up on a watch list somewhere...

Our Canadian/French packaging isn't that bad really. It keeps Quebec happy (relatively). I only notice it when I'm in the US and it's missing.

Did you know that Nutrition Facts in French is Valeur Nutritive? You can learn all sorts of things from bilingual packaging.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join