It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cloaking technology?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2003 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Has anyone heard of any groups working on, or have created, any sort of working human cloaking device. I was thinking something along the lines of holographic cloaking would be possible. Anyways if anyone has any thoughts or information Id love to hear.

posted on Aug, 31 2003 @ 06:33 PM
link   
yes, ive heard and came up with and idea about covering a surface in lots of little tv screens that transmit an image on the tv screens of what is behind you ect ect from little cameras 100's of them so its like a chain mail suit with 1000's of screens and cameras... makes you about 70% invisible apart from the edges.. because of curvature...

posted on Aug, 31 2003 @ 06:38 PM
link   
This is how i would do it. Have only 6 cameras and have it create a 3d sphere view of the surroundings. Kind of like what they did in the game Myst III. flip the sphere on a vertical mirror line and then over another horizontal and again over another in the Z axis. The image of the world around the person would be completely flipped. The spherical mesh will be projected by rays to parts of a mesh on the body suit.

Displaying that image is a little bit trickier. A liquid crystal Display (LCD) in between two pieces of fabric covering the plastic might work.

Parallax is a problem but only at close range. Far away, none would be the wiser. You would be invisible!

[Edited on 31-8-2003 by TheManWithThePlan]

posted on Aug, 31 2003 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I have heard of 3d holographic technology, their mainly creating it for the medical industry, but I would think that once this technology is mass produced, it would prove suitable to create an efficient cloaking device.

ID

posted on Aug, 31 2003 @ 06:52 PM
link   

yes, ive heard and came up with and idea about covering a surface in lots of little tv screens that transmit an image on the tv screens of what is behind you ect ect from little cameras 100's of them so its like a chain mail suit with 1000's of screens and cameras... makes you about 70% invisible apart from the edges.. because of curvature...

Yeah these things rule. The United States Army have these now the only problem is that they over heat, that and the price tag. Once they solve those to problems we may have a very different set up for our soldiers.

posted on Aug, 31 2003 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I've decided that this will be my last "great project" of this summer. I am going to design and research how to build a cloaking device cheaply. Thousands of cameras and screens doesn't sound efficient, practical or cost affective. Does anybody know of a place where i can post pictures on the internet(for free)

[Edited on 31-8-2003 by TheManWithThePlan]

posted on Aug, 31 2003 @ 07:06 PM
link   
you could do it by creating imense gravity around the person... witch makes all light bend around the area...

but that could make possibly a black blur in the middle of the bubble???

so i dont know...

projectors...

speciall clothes that dont reflect light who knows...

posted on Aug, 31 2003 @ 07:10 PM
link   
"speciall clothes that dont reflect light who knows..."

hmmm, like a black suit?? It wouldn't work. The absence of light, black, would give you away.

posted on Aug, 31 2003 @ 07:10 PM
link   
i personally find the best cloaking technology is a gillie.. you just lie down on the floor in the woods and watch everybody run past you!!!

posted on Aug, 31 2003 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheManWithThePlan
"speciall clothes that dont reflect light who knows..."

hmmm, like a black suit?? It wouldn't work. The absence of light, black, would give you away

not in the dark..lol

posted on Aug, 31 2003 @ 07:14 PM
link   
i dont understand how it would be possible without the use of projected images and cameras...

ID

posted on Aug, 31 2003 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Gillie suits do work well. As for clocking the only times I have seen it done successfully is with the camera/projector approach. I would be interested to know if any other ways are possible.

posted on Aug, 31 2003 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I replied with an idea I had in high school, in another thread... Since then, I saw something vaguely similar, on a TDC special, where they were trying to cloak tanks...

My idea was to have a skin (or suit), where it was covered with fibre optic cables. In other words, the entire surface of the suit, would be the openings of the fibre optic tubes. Each tube, would have the opposite end of the tube on the opposite side. Since the light would bend (reflect) through the tube, you'd effectively see "through" whatever it was covering...no matter what angle you saw the target from. Of course, there'd be some distortion around the edges of each cable (similar to a Predator from the movies), but the more still you were, the more invisible you'd be... Just a thought.....

posted on Aug, 31 2003 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Here's a decent thread that might help....as soon as I can get more time than I currently do...maybe tomorrow, I will see if I can dig up somemore info.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

regards
seekerof

posted on Aug, 31 2003 @ 10:49 PM
link   
That fibre optic thing would be cool, you'd see the persons face floating in the air

posted on Sep, 1 2003 @ 04:54 PM
link   
www.star.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp...

poasted this a while back has some cool footage 2

posted on Sep, 1 2003 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Yeah, but that method sucks. How are you going to carry a projector around with you?

I think suits with fibre optics that pass the light through from the opposite side of the suit is the way to go. Like light tunnels. It would be hard to weave, but seems more possible than thousands of tiny cameras.

Just a thought.

posted on Sep, 1 2003 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
I replied with an idea I had in high school, in another thread... Since then, I saw something vaguely similar, on a TDC special, where they were trying to cloak tanks...

My idea was to have a skin (or suit), where it was covered with fibre optic cables. In other words, the entire surface of the suit, would be the openings of the fibre optic tubes. Each tube, would have the opposite end of the tube on the opposite side. Since the light would bend (reflect) through the tube, you'd effectively see "through" whatever it was covering...no matter what angle you saw the target from. Of course, there'd be some distortion around the edges of each cable (similar to a Predator from the movies), but the more still you were, the more invisible you'd be... Just a thought.....

that is probably a cheaper alternative to the camera screen idea..

very interesting

posted on Sep, 1 2003 @ 05:12 PM
link   
if your replying to me then look at the site more closely clcik on projects 0f takeshi labs at the bottom

posted on Sep, 1 2003 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I like the idea of the fiber optics, it seems to be probably the best way to go with this idea at the present time.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join