It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Australian leader says ban on the word 'mate' in parliament is absurd

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 10:45 AM
link   
The Prime minister of Australia today labeled a new rule absurd that requires security guards to stop using the term "mate" when addressing legislators. The ban on the use of the word took place last week. Howard, who has used to term in reference to U.S. President George W. Bush indicated that it had to be taken in context. A spokesman for the Department of Parliamentary Services said the ban was put in place so as to not offend anybody.

ne ws.yahoo.com
CANBERRA, Australia (AP) - No way, mate!

Australian Prime Minister John Howard on Friday said it was "absurd" to require security guards at the country's Parliament House to stop addressing visitors and legislators as "mate."

The ban was imposed this week among guards and attendants at the building in Canberra, Australian media reported.

"These things are all a matter of context, and that's why it's impractical and absurd to try and ban something," Howard, who in the past has used the term to describe U.S. President George W. Bush, told Australian Broadcasting Corp. radio.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The armies of political correctness have claimed a new victim. The level of ridiculousness is getting to a point its a wonder that a business can even get anything done. What with mandatory "sensitivity" training, restriction on what you can say or do and the like. At some point it has to stop.

[edit on 8/22/05 by FredT]

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Political Correctness?

Where?

This is a joke, it really is the word "mate" is not an offencive word however in Oxford I got to see something shocking today. Something I have never seen today.

Groups of white - middle class - suit wearing business men were walking down the High Street and singing;
"I'd rather be a Paki, I'd rather be a Paki, I would rather be a Paki then a Jew." and I am not talking 2 or 3 I'm talking a whole group of 30 or 40 people. (If not more.)

Who I later found out [while speaking to two] that they were British born, Church of England worshipping people. Chanting that for several hours. :|

Ox

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Being Australian, I use the term "mate" fairly often, and No, I dont use it in regards to copulation, It's a friendly slang term and I think it's outrageous that ANY government would want to ban it from use even in parliment. Geez.. It's something all Australians grow up using, It's a disgrace that someone would wish to abolish the use of such a friendly word and gesture.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   
It would appear that the use of the vernacular word "mate" is generally intended for informal conversation with friends or at a bar, and so on.

The relationship between guard and parliament official in formal settings is a very formal one. I would expect the guard to behave in proper military fashion and using purposefully causal language could be considered out of line in a military discipline sense.

However, I would think that if the officials are friends with the guards, already know them, and have established a casual relationship with them already, then it would be certainly alright, in informal settings.

Ox

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   
As I said.. Yes and No.. You see, Australians are usually pretty informal creatures, Yeah I can understand your point, But all I'm saying is that you'd have to live there and live the culture to fully understand. As I said, we're very informal people and dont think twice about using the vernacular or idiom. I've seen husbands call their wives "mate"... It's just the way it's done down there
Unlike America (Where I currently live) which has a certain formality about it all the time. I hope you can see me point..

Ox

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Grad Student, you're either not an Aussie, or if you are, you went to a school which has a tie it is still beneficial to wear, especially to business meetings.

If the PM is going to use the word mate then all rules are off.

I strongly suspect that the people "on the street" in the US would only ever refer to George as "Mr President" to his face. In Australia it is highly likely that someone would say "Your'e doin' a great job, John. Keep it up." or "Get stuffed (personal edit) Johnny, why don't you do us all a favour and quit?" if they saw Johnny campaigning in a shopping centre or even just out for his morning walk.

Most Australians are appalled at the level of respect given to the US president. John Howard is not our head of state, and thus not the symbol of our country. I would even say most Australians wouldn't even know the correct protocol for addressing Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, by the grace of God, queen of the United Kingdom of...Defender of the faith and all that and she IS our head of state.

Remember, this is the country where Senator Bob Brown heckled US President George W Bush as he addressed a joint session of parliament.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 06:53 PM
link   
You Aussies! God love you!
In America we are all about titles and diplomas. It's a fashion statement. If one buys it, they should wear it, right?

Sorry, George...er.....Dubya....errrr...Mr. President.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 06:55 PM
link   
The most worrying thing about all this, is that my hard earned Tax Dollars go toward paying these Imbeciles

Thankfully the directive was overturned.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I can't wait until the younger generations in the US get into office and start using terms, such as "Dude", "Girl", or "Man" to refer to each other.

Defense Advisor: "The Canadians have mobilized their ground forces."

President: "Dude! We should like bomb them....

[edit on 22-8-2005 by Jamuhn]

[edit on 23-8-2005 by asala]

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Just FYI, the ban never was never accepted, and the guards are free to use 'mate' again (The Age). I just find it ironic how easily offended the people who complain about 'political correctness' can get.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 07:35 PM
link   
There is no such thing as freedom

Mate...... *sigh

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Your right Curme the directive was overturned. I don't think it's so much as being easily offended, for me anyway it's the mere fact that these people are paid by us(taxpayer) to run the country, not come up with petty and rediculous garbage such as this. I would have thought that there are more pressing matters at hand.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by grad_student

The relationship between guard and parliament official in formal settings is a very formal one. I would expect the guard to behave in proper military fashion and using purposefully causal language could be considered out of line in a military discipline sense.

The guards at Parliment House are civilians. All the men guarding our leaders are civilians.

I think the women are, too.

We don't have marines in dress blues standing around like they've got nothing better to do. Of course, we don't have marines...

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Oh dear, this brings me back to the attempt at banning the long pointed butcher knives. (some of you might not know what I am talking about)
Silly laws.

Troy

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odium
Political Correctness?

Where?

This is a joke, it really is the word "mate" is not an offencive word however in Oxford I got to see something shocking today. Something I have never seen today.

Groups of white - middle class - suit wearing business men were walking down the High Street and singing;
"I'd rather be a Paki, I'd rather be a Paki, I would rather be a Paki then a Jew." and I am not talking 2 or 3 I'm talking a whole group of 30 or 40 people. (If not more.)

Who I later found out [while speaking to two] that they were British born, Church of England worshipping people. Chanting that for several hours. :|

You should have told them they should wish to be Jewish! The U.S. Government is compensating the dislodged Jewish Families with 250,000 dollars each.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Yes it is stupid but...there is more than one way of saying "mate". Theres the normal english speaking world's meaning of the word and then if you change the tone and inflection of the word it can go from an insult to an outright threatening challange.

The way our polititions have been hoodwinking and steamrolling those they are supposed to represent it, wouldn't be surprizing if mear public sevants have been letting the insulting or threatening tone slip out. Our average workers are pretty pissed off at what is being done to them in the name of a new world order.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Listen here mate, any mate of George Bush is no mate of mine or any of my mates. And mate, when you wear that uniform you can't go calling people your mate unless you're mates. It avoids offending them, mate.

All right, mate?

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 06:27 AM
link   
yeah well i have lived in australia for 19 years (my whole life) and i have never seen any notion of formal or informal speach. every one is basically at the same level when you talk with them, even cops. disected at
grad _student

further more, i dont think i have ever herd any one use the word "mate" in relation to copulation, ever scince i was little it has been "root", or something similar.

only way i could think of it being offensive to the visitors is if the guard said something like " just a second, Mate"

Ox

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Tiddly.. When I said the word "mate" being used as in copulation I meant as in.. "Animals mating.. Those two elephants are mates (male and females having baby elephants)"
So.. now.. As you and I have both said.. Australians are just very formal people, We would call John Howard, John to his face and not Mr Prime Minister, and we dont call our Prime Minister the most powerful man in the world like the Americans do.. and think.. Bush.. as the most powerful man in the world.. ok.. something needs to be done about that.. geeez

top topics

join