It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Media Jihad

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Looks like Al-Qaida has a new weapon.

Always looking for new ways to win the heart and minds of the infidels...

Article

An al-Qaeda linked-group has launched what it calls a media jihad, or holy war, to "terrorise" United States-led forces in Iraq and their families by bombarding them with e-mails and by posting gruesome photos online.

The group, calling itself the "Brigade of Media Jihad", called on its militants to "post terrifying pictures on the internet in order to terrorise the enemy", said a statement on an Islamist website whose authenticity could not be verified.

"Our objective is to undermine the morale of our enemies, dash their hopes and dreams and reveal the truth of what is happening in Iraq. The media war is an integral part of the war on the ground," said the statement.

The brigade claims to be part of the "World Islamic Media Front", which has uploaded on to Internet sites footage of military operations in Iraq, Afghanistan and other places where Islamist militants operate.

Last week, it posted a film, Top Ten, in which it showed a selection of attacks on US troops carried out by the Islamic Army in Iraq and the al-Qaeda organisation in the Land of Two Rivers, the group of al-Qaeda frontman Abu Musab al-Zarqawi.

The footage showed the bodies of alleged US soldiers, mutilated and burnt.

Arab satellite channels, mainly the Qatar-based al-Jazeera, regularly air the videos, making a point to say that their authenticity cannot be verified.

The US administration has repeatedly accused Arab television channels, particularly al-Jazeera, of being a key tool for extremist propaganda through its coverage of attacks in Iraq...

I think they have been using the media all along. But to send personal messages to individuals is something new. I see this as great news really; it means they have nothing else. What’s the first thing a loser does when they lose a fight? Talk smack.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I hadn't heard about them sending anything to individuals or families before.
I only knew about the regular media stuff.

The Washinton Post did a really interesting piece on this called 'e-Qaeda'.

It explains why they chose that method of filming the operations and spreading them through the Internet.

You can download it here:
ansary.info...

Or you can watch it online here:
washington post

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Skippy, could you check out your link. It doesn't appear as a link to me. Thanks. (I found the story elsewhere)

If this is happening, (and I know this sounds kind of strange) is it such a bad thing? I mean, to get the truth of what is happening to our soldiers over there out in the open where everyone can see it? Is it terrible to let the military families who might support this war know just what they’re supporting? Or what they’re fighting against? I think too many people are turning a blind eye to the atrocities that take place on both sides of this war.

If this is true, I’m not sure I see how it compares to ‘talking smack’. Doesn’t that mean lying? From what I gather, they’re not lying; they’re showing pictures of what they’re doing. They’re saying, “Hey, look. See what we’re doing to your soldiers.”

If it’s the truth, I’m all for getting it to the people. I do realize that is a controversial idea among those who support this war, though.

I guess it depends on one’s frame of reference. I’m against the war and I support the truth, so almost anything that encourages the truth to be revealed or support for the war to be withdrawn, I’m usually supportive of.

I may be misunderstanding something and if so, I'm all ears.

Edit: I have educated myself and I now know that "talkin' smack" means to talk crap or gossip about someone. Not sure I see how it fits here. But I'll just let that go.

[edit on 22-8-2005 by Benevolent Heretic]

[edit on 22-8-2005 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   
DAH, its supposed to be a direct link to the video. Ill fix it in a min...

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 11:08 AM
link   
we could counter by putting up pics and videos of confessions as to wat is happening in Iraq. we can show videos and pics of dead insurgents and foreign fighters and those that are caught. we can also post interviews of the dead insurgent and foreign fighters families. we can also post interviews of victims who were attacked by insurgents and foreign fighters, etc.
we can show that their "Jihad" is pretty much failing in Iraq.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   
If this is true, than the insurgents have a poor understanding of the American psyche. At least a poor understanding of Christian conservatives.

Rather than make us weaker....it hardens us and drives us on to finish them off and stomp the life outta radical Islamic extremists like the cockaroaches that they are.

Maximu§

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by LA_Maximus
Rather than make us weaker....it hardens us and drives us on to finish them off and stomp the life outta radical Islamic extremists like the cockaroaches that they are.

My thoughts exactly. Posting pictures such as those mentioned in the article will most likely result in a reaction opposite to the one Al-Qaeda are seeking. Most likely it will anger more and more Americans, as well as other countries involved in combatting Al-Qaeda, resulting in stronger measures against them.

new topics

top topics

join