It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apparently, Rape is part of Islamic Jihad…

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:
JAK

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Rape as a weapon in War

How did rape become a weapon of war?

Seems as though it's not exclusive, now there's a shocker!

Go wash the splinter out of your eye Kay.

Jak

[edit on 22/8/05 by JAK]

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
Rape is bad, to bad is bad. Really which is worse rape or murder?

One you have to live with one you dont.

I seriously doubt that Islam promotes or condones rape. I am unaware of any religion that would. It is man's interpretation of religion, constitutions, laws that create a lot of the mess this world is in. No country is innocent of crimes within their borders or outside them.

I do not understand the point of this thread nor does it appear it has been addressed. For many women, living with rape is a death sentence so for men to wonder which is worse is pointless. What exactly is the original poster trying to say and/or what answers are you looking for? It would appear this is just another thread to attempt to associate wrong doings by mankind with a religion.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Wow.

Another post saying 'Muslim terrorists aren't very nice!'.

We all know this, some peopel are evil, regardless of religion, skin colour or toilet habits.

Can there not be one big thread devoted to just how nast terroists are, listing every atrocity and bad habit? And next to that a big thread listing US and allies atrocities?

That way there may be room to discuss other aspects of the war on terror, not just the 'the people we fight dont always do nice things' aspect.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by anniejhops

What exactly is the original poster trying to say and/or what answers are you looking for?

I dont want anything from the original poster.
I was just tring to point out evil is evil.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Rape is not really part of Islam, but I think it might have been part of tribal laws and/or religions in the area before they were converted to islam, and they just retained these things to this day. I know that rape is a common tool in war (Russians, Japanese, Germans and probably Americans used it in WWII), but I have heard way too many stories from this part of the world where a woman commits adultery, and she is raped by the tribal council.

Part of Islam? No.
Part of the Culture in Iraq (are they technically Arabs there)? Yes.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by PBscientist
but I have heard way too many stories from this part of the world where a woman commits adultery, and she is raped by the tribal council.

true i believe recent articles have talked about a Pakistan woman who was repeatedly raped by a couple of men ordered by the tribal council in punishment to her brother i believe who decided to marry sombody else. in anicase if thats how they interpret the in their view of the law under Islam well i wouldnt support that law.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Nice post, X.

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
Of all the torture allegations i never heard one of sodomizing iraqis with broomsticks.

Source

Six soldiers from the 372nd face criminal charges for a variety of acts, including sodomizing prisoners with broomsticks and forcing naked prisoners to simulate sex - conduct that has provoked international outrage.

My bad, sorry and thanks for pointing that out

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Ya not bad, ya just never heard of any allegations thats all.

We all do that now and again. Fair play for holding ya hand up

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Get Real Skippy... Rape isn't a crime limited to the insrugency, as a matter of fact, it's pretty common right there at home. Are gangs using Rape here as a tactic? This thread is nothing more an a generalization based on the statements of a single criminal dude.
Now does the following some how qualify us as evil terrorists?

www.paralumun.com...
AMERICAN RAPE STATISTICS
Somewhere in America, a woman is raped every 2 minutes, according to the U.S. Department of Justice.

In 1995, 354,670 women were the victims of a rape or sexual assault. (NationalCrime Victimization Survey. Bureau of Justice Statistics, U.S. Department of Justice, 1996.)

Over the last two years, more than 787,000 women were the victim of a rape or sexual assault. (National Crime Victimization Survey. Bureau of Justice Statistics, U.S.Department of Justice, 1996.)

The FBI estimates that 72 of every 100,000 females in the United States wereraped last year. (Federal Bureau of Investigation, Uniform Crime Statistics, 1996.)

SILENT VICTIMS :

One of the most startling aspects of sex crimes is how many go unreported. The most common reasons given by women for not reporting these crimes are the belief that it is a private or personal matter and the fear of reprisal from the assailant.

Approximately 28% of victims are raped by husbands or boyfriends, 35% by acquaintances, and 5% by other relatives. (Violence against Women, Bureau of Justice Statistics, U.S. Dept. of Justice, 1994)

The FBI estimates that only 37% of all rapes are reported to the police. U.S. Justice Department statistics are even lower, with only 26% of all rapes or attempted rapes being reported to law enforcement officials.

In 1994-1995, only 251,560 rapes and sexual assaults were reported to law enforcement officials -- less than one in every three. (National Crime Victimization Survey, Bureau of Justice Statistics, U.S. Department of Justice, 1996.)

An overwhelming majority of rape service agencies believe that public education about rape, and expanded counseling and advocacy services for rape victims, would be effective in increasing the willingness of victims to report rapes to the police. (Rape in America, 1992, National Victim Center with Crime Victims Research and Treatment Center.)

LIVING IN FEAR :

According to the U.S. Department of Justice: (All statistics are taken from: Violenceagainst Women, Bureau of Justice Statistics, U.S. Dept. of Justice, 1994.)

One of every four rapes take place in a public area or in a parking garage.

31% of female victims reported that the offender was a stranger.

68% of rapes occur between the hours of 6 p.m. and 6 a.m.

At least 45% of rapists were under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

In 29% of rapes, the offender used a weapon.

In 47% of rapes, the victim sustained injuries other than rape injuries.

75% of female rape victims require medical care after the attack.

Edit:
And another thing, all these warnings being handed out for the Melodrama of Political Discussion, isn't this worthy of a warning?

Originally posted by skippytjc
I am kind of curious to get an opinion from the pro-insurgency sect on these boards on this.

[edit on 22-8-2005 by twitchy]

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by twitchy
And another thing, all these warnings being handed out for the Melodrama of Political Discussion, isn't this worthy of a warning?

I am kind of curious to get an opinion from the pro-insurgency sect on these boards on this.

Why should asking for an opinion warrant a warning?
I suppose it would be good to know the opinions from the other side so to speak.
That way, we can get the other perspective that will lead to more discussion. Isn't that what all this is about? Discussion and debating?

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by twitchy
Edit:

[edit on 22-8-2005 by twitchy]

Why?

Would you call for somebody to be warned if they said: "I am kind of curious to get an opinion from the pro-American sect on these boards on this." ??

Please.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   
It's my interpretation from the original post'er that the point of the thread originally was to question the legitimacy of rape as a tool of jihad.

As many other posters have pointed out, it is not only the Islamic extremists carrying out jihad that have used rape as a tool of war. In fact, the United States (as the analogy to the Iraqi prison photos show) is not innocent of pushing the envelope of what acceptable wartime conduct is as defined by the Geneva Accords.

Obviously it's a terribly sensitive topic, so let's focus on the original issue.

It is my understanding from reading about Islam that the Qu'aran rationalizes jihad in repelling occupying forces from the lands of Islam. It does not specifically define borders or boundaries of what these lands are, and it does not define exactly what "jihad" should mean as far as actually carrying out attacks and the nature of them.

So, it is then open to interpretation. An interpretation that might seem plausible to readers in the Western world might be to attempt to attack another army for reasons of land, power, or other strategic objectives.

However, the modern extremist interpretation of jihad appears to be significantly less focused. We have witnessed random acts of violence all over the globe, in Afghanistan, in the middle east, and even in the US and Londong. It ranges anywhere from suicide bombers to launching rocket attacks at ships to flying planes into 9/11.

However, the rapes performed by Iraqis that were loyal to Saddam Hussein were not in fact performed in the name of Jihad they were performed in the name of Saddam Hussein. If you read the human rights violations dossier compiled by the British on SH's empire, you will be repunginated to the point of vomit by the deeds carried out by his sons and henchmen. They would in fact use rape as a tool of torture.

Before we jump to the conclusion that they are horrible, let's just for context remember that US soldiers are periodically found guilty of similar crimes, although they do not usually involve subsequent lopping of heads off afterwards. As some of the other posters pointed out, this "ethnic cleansing" is a strange aspect of human nature that has reared it's ugly head periodically.

The aspect of human nature that sets us aside from the rest of the animal kingdom is our ability to create civil societies and to impose law and order. It is when this honorable nature breaks down into jungle fever that we are reminded of the very darkest aspect of the human experience.

Agreed, that using rape as a tool of war be it jihad or otherwise, is indeed a sick and defiling decision, and is in clear violation of the Geneva Accords.

But in order for us to stake this claim, we need to hold ourselves accountable for what our troops are doing. The pot cannot call the kettle black. I believe we are addressing these problems up-front but there are still occasional tales of excessive force that bubble up, and we still have no idea what goes on in places like Guantanamo Bay. Assuming these areas are indeed abiding by modern prisoner ettiquitte, then indeed what you say is quite an awful thing.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join